News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Greetings!

Started by HandsandDreams, June 01, 2009, 11:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HandsandDreams

Hello everyone,

I sure hope this forum is what I've been looking for.  I live in a place where intelligent conversation and positive attitudes are rare.  I hope to find both here.  Here is what I wrote recently on my blog about the issue:

"I would like a place to go and people to hang out with who share my worship of humanity, and passion for exploring my world, my self, and the truth, wherever it is to be found.  I’d like to shoot the stuff, discuss politics, watch a movie, swap books and ideas, help solve personal problems, maybe listen to speeches in that kind of place with that kind of people.

It disappoints me that the people like this in my area are basically just out there to castrate religion.  They arrange to have kiosks at events, whose function is to argue with religious people around an audience.  Their website’s masthead even says “Atheism Cures Religious Terrorism.”

It’s not that I disagree with them.  It’s that I disapprove of how they go about spreading their message.  Instead of trying to stamp out religion, invest your time cultivating all the good things that come from atheism, or whatever you believe.  Things like self-growth, self-understanding, pursuing your passions, scientific studies, discussion groups, and the ability to make sense of a world you once thought was senseless.  Extend a hand to others who like what you’re doing, show them how they too can be happy, instead of offering a balled fist to those who disagree.  Focus on a positive, not on a negative.  That’s why Ayn Rand called her novel The Fountainhead, rather than her working title, Second-Hand Lives.

Just set up something that works, something good and welcoming, and it will dominoe outward."

What do you guys think?  Am I in the right place?

Thanks!

Jolly Sapper

Quote from: "HandsandDreams"...
 Their website’s masthead even says “Atheism Cures Religious Terrorism.”

Just set up something that works, something good and welcoming, and it will dominoe outward."

What do you guys think?  Am I in the right place?

Thanks!

There's a little bit of that here but not too much.  Welcome, to the forums  :animeyay:

quizlixx

Hey there and welcome!  :yay:  :D
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

Whitney

Hey, HandsandDreams. Welcome to HAF.

Quote from: "HandsandDreams"Am I in the right place?

I think so.  If you haven't already, feel free to read our front page that explains a bit about why this forum exists: portal.php

JillSwift

Lots of good discussions about subjects other than religion here - I think you'll like it :)
[size=50]Teleology]

curiosityandthecat

A little over a year ago I came here looking for the same thing: intelligent conversation with (mostly, but not exclusively) like-minded people, and a place to just be myself.

Everybody here is awesome, we feed the trolls just enough to be entertaining, and JillSwift has the most amazing avatar in th--ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
-Curio

Whitney

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"JillSwift has the most amazing avatar in th--ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
roflol

quizlixx

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"JillSwift has the most amazing avatar in th--ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
:drool
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

JillSwift

[size=50]Teleology]

HandsandDreams

Thanks everybody.   :exphug: