News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

WHY BE ATHEIST?

Started by Asmodean Prime, January 11, 2007, 10:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrE2Me

At least there's no religion-imposed guilt to get in the way of your frolicking...
[size=92]I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. - Stephen Roberts[/size]

Amor Fati

Definitely the chicks.
One of the keys to picking up women is to both keep them talking and to plant the idea that you're completely different from every other guy she's ever talked to.

Will

Not just different, but smarter and more dangerous. In the mind of a believer we're risking damnation. We know better. Also, we don't have the puritanical programming.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

noname

Religion and God are created by man. Why bother to follow one?

ScourgeO'God

I'm an atheist because anything else would be unnatural.  Look at it this way... maybe God wanted me to be a non-believer.  :wink:

brainshmain

I don't think there is much choice in "being" atheist.  I could claim that I am Christian, Muslim, Mormon, whatever, bu when it comes down to it, I can in no way imagine anything happening to me after I die other than my body shutting down and eventually decomposing.  I could lie to myself about what I WANT to believe, but you cant force your real opinion on something.  I mean, yeah, it would be AWESOME if after this life, you go up to some amazing nirvana-esque place for the rest of time, but there is no way I can force myself to believe that's how it really is.

Huxley

I simply see no good reason to suppose a creator God exists, naturally or supernaturally. I see no good reason to suppose anything of us prevails after brain death. I have seen many instances of the contrary.

So, as someone else said, "I do not suspend judgement"