News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

God filled my friend with lies and psychosis. :(

Started by karadan, July 13, 2009, 06:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karadan

I've just come back from a weekend away with some old university friends. During my weekend away, one of my friends told me about a guy we used to know called Nathan. This is a guy i considered a good friend at one time but had made a sudden and dramatic conversion to god. He went from being Jack-the-lad to Jack-the-frenzied-jesus-freak in the space of a few weeks. I've always wondered what became of him and this weekend i found out. It certainly was an eye-opener...

I've spoken about Nathan before on HAF, so i'll spare you all the details on this post and direct you here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2652&start=0

So this is Nathan. He's now 'saving' people all over the world. Suddenly he's able to heal people (the guy in the blue shirt) just because he says he spoke to god.

[youtube:pahfmkji]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt-KlLFre3s[/youtube:pahfmkji]

And here he is in Africa duping people into believing in miracles...

[youtube:pahfmkji]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOSx7iFG1aw[/youtube:pahfmkji]

This is his website:

http://www.shakethenations.co.uk/nathan-morris.php

I'm kind of shell-shocked really. This kind of stuff isn't commonplace where i'm from so to see a previous friend do this is hugely unsettling. He was (and probably still is) a really nice guy. I feel very sorry for him :verysad:

He is currently doing stuff in London. I think i may take a trip down there and say hi. I guess i just want to know if there is a semblence of my old friend in there.

Oh, and the description on his website stated he was a drug addict at university. Well, he wasn't. He dabbled like the rest of us, but nothing crazy. His real problem was his inability to be honest with himself and others. I think that's where his breakdown came from.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

McQ

This is going to sound harsh, but I think your friend was always a bullshitter and still is, based solely on the videos and browsing his website. If anything, he is at best a serial liar, and at worst, a con artist on his site and in those videos.

He might be mentally ill and in need of professional help too, but that I wouldn't know. If he believes the stuff he's doing is for real, then he does need major-league help.

I'm very sorry to see this, and I imagine it's brutally hard on you as a friend of his. Maybe you can make a difference in his chosen path, but with the roll he's on now there may be no way to help him. Once these people get rolling, they become trapped in the life of living the lie.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

curiosityandthecat

I agree with McQ. People don't make such a drastic change without some sort of trauma. It's more likely this was underlying, or that he's learned how to monetize it.
-Curio

karadan

Quote from: "McQ"This is going to sound harsh, but I think your friend was always a bullshitter and still is, based solely on the videos and browsing his website. If anything, he is at best a serial liar, and at worst, a con artist on his site and in those videos.

He might be mentally ill and in need of professional help too, but that I wouldn't know. If he believes the stuff he's doing is for real, then he does need major-league help.

I'm very sorry to see this, and I imagine it's brutally hard on you as a friend of his. Maybe you can make a difference in his chosen path, but with the roll he's on now there may be no way to help him. Once these people get rolling, they become trapped in the life of living the lie.

You are totally right. He always was a bullshitter. I never really noticed it until he started sharing a house with my best friend. Up until that point he was the guy with amazing stories whom i did a lot of partying with. I haven't heard from him ever since my mate Alex stopped living with him about seven years ago, so it isn't really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

I guess i'm a little sad because i enjoy my positive memories of people. It is impractical to stay in touch with everyone I befriend but that doesn't diminish my fondness for the people i meet as i go through life. I guess it's a shock when the mental image of an old friend is shattered by negative revelations. In this case, a really nice guy with some psychological issues being messed up even further by religion.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

karadan

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"I agree with McQ. People don't make such a drastic change without some sort of trauma. It's more likely this was underlying, or that he's learned how to monetize it.

Indeed. His trauma was the realisation he'd fucked his own life up and no one else was to blame. I'm pretty sure he had a nervous breakdown after that. Judging from the videos,  he's already living the lie as McQ said. I'm sure he'll become rich, too.

rlrose328

Oh sweet mother... All of those people gave him money, I'm sure.  That's insane.  This is the type of thing that my husband wishes he had the lack of morals and ethics to do... Take advantage of people in the name of god.  But he/we just don't.  It would be so easy (and obviously is by the looks of this guy).  So he touches and spits on people and they fall to the floor in convulsions.  Unbelievable.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!