News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Just signed up

Started by ReligiousNut, January 03, 2007, 06:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImpaledSkier

Besides my issues with organized religion and the inconsistancies involved, the main reason I'm an atheist is because the reason "god" doesn't aswer any of the questions to me. 'God' is just a re-naming of the problem. If one asks 'where did we come from?' One answer could be that the Universe happened, the conditions and timing were right, and now we're holding this disucssion. The answer 'god' just leads to the question who created god? and so on. We can't seem to explain either where the universe came from, or where 'god' came from, so my question to you why all of a sudden are we getting supernatural? Science can explain the timeline back to the big bang logically without the need of powers, or beings, or magic, or whatever, but as soon as a question that is unsolvable at this time arises we need to relabel is god? That just seems inconsistant to me. Many things in the past were blamed on god, or gods, or witches, or ghosts, or whatever, but slowly through time the logical explanation was found. I think it's just a matter of time until we figure it out.

Also, the idea of serving some self-centered diety for his amusement makes this life seem much more depressing than my chance at another ~60 years and pushing up flowers when it's over.

Hope that helps.
"Heaven's not a place that you go when you die, it's that moment in life when you actually feel alive. So live for the moment." -The Spill Canvas

Kestrel

Quote from: "ReligiousNut"Hi everyone, as you can tell by my user name I am a reliligious nut (Christian) and proud of it,...  What is the main reason why atheist's don't believe in God? ...
Hi.

To answer your question;
Because they are not supposed to believe.
The thing that I call living is just being satisfied, with knowing I've got no one left to blame. - Gordon Lightfoot

McQ

Quote from: "Kestrel"
Quote from: "ReligiousNut"Hi everyone, as you can tell by my user name I am a reliligious nut (Christian) and proud of it,...  What is the main reason why atheist's don't believe in God? ...
Hi.

To answer your question;
Because they are not supposed to believe.

Can you elaborate on that statement?
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Kestrel

Quote from: "McQ"Can you elaborate on that statement?
Certainly.
For brevity's sake, I'll give the super-condensed readers digest, in a nutshell version.

Because to choose to believe is a work. My understanding of my faith dictates that one cannot work one's way to "salvation".
Which means that to make belief a personal choice, allows the believer who feels that they have chosen to believe, (which includes 99 & 44/100's% of them) a position of superiority. Resulting in that unforgettable and all to familiar stink of smugness, that I'm sure we have all experienced.
The thing that I call living is just being satisfied, with knowing I've got no one left to blame. - Gordon Lightfoot

Whitney

Kes, could you elaborate just a bit more...."not supposed to believe" doesn't seem to have much to do with superiority complexes.

Kestrel

Quote from: "laetusatheos"Kes, could you elaborate just a bit more...."not supposed to believe" doesn't seem to have much to do with superiority complexes.

In an effort not to clog up the intro area, I responded to you,
here.