News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Hello from a confused person.

Started by Specialbuffalo, April 30, 2009, 06:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Specialbuffalo

Hello everyone. I've been searching for different sites and forums about different religions and even atheistic sites, but this looks like a cool place, so here I am. Now a little about me before I talk about my world-view. I'm a 20 year old Chinese-American, college student. I grew up in California and lived here all my life and love it. I've met the greatest friends in the world and I just love being around people period. I think to have a good life, you must spend it with the people that makes life worth every second. I'm really optimistic and my friends always ask me, "do you ever get mad." I did once, however, when my dog pooped on my bed, but I would too if I didn't have a toilet! I grew up in a non-secular home and my parents never forced anything on me. Religion was never a part of my life, except for my religious friends. Most are Christians or Buddhists, but I don't really care because I just don't like judging people when I know nothing about their religion. I became curious when I was about 16, just sitting at home, questioning what's the purpose of life? I mean, in a sense, is it all about making money? Sometimes I do think that there is a God, not the God from the Christian Bible or Quran, but an entity that created us for an unknown reason. Sometimes I don't believe there is a God because of all this madness we have on this Earth and sometimes, it doesn't seem to be getting better, not one bit. I don't believe in an afterlife, although it would be great to see all my friends and family after death, but then what's the point of living a life if there's an afterlife. I believe in Biology 100%, and everything just seems to make sense. Everything just seems to look more beautiful to me, knowing that this world was created from dust and energy. I don't want religion to control my life, and I feel sad for people that do. Priests aren't allowed to get married? WTF?! Anyways, I came to this forum to understand religion better, and the Bible as well. And also to meet other people who share the same view on the world.

Thanks for reading. Hope to talk to each of you soon!  :P

Recusant

Welcome to HAF, Specialbuffalo.  Nice handle.  :)

Quote from: "Specialbuffalo"Sometimes I do think that there is a God, not the God from the Christian Bible or Quran, but an entity that created us for an unknown reason.

This sounds like Deism, which is a form of belief with a respectable history.  Several of the founders of the United States were Deists.

A lot  of the members of this forum are former Christians who can answer your questions about Christianity from an atheist perspective, and in fact there are several Christian members here as well, so there's a good chance you'll find what you're looking for here.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Will

I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

curiosityandthecat

Welcome. :) 你說中文嗎?
-Curio

Tanker

Quote from: "Recusant"Welcome to HAF, Specialbuffalo.  Nice handle.  :)

Quote from: "Specialbuffalo"Sometimes I do think that there is a God, not the God from the Christian Bible or Quran, but an entity that created us for an unknown reason.

This sounds like Deism, which is a form of belief with a respectable history.  Several of the founders of the United States were Deists.

A lot  of the members of this forum are former Christians who can answer your questions about Christianity from an atheist perspective, and in fact there are several Christian members here as well, so there's a good chance you'll find what you're looking for here.

I was going to say the same thing  (about deism) regardless it seems you are either that or mabey an Agnostic. Doesn't matter all are welcome here. welcome to our humble forum I hope you can find some of the answers you seek here, or at least a good discussion.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

PipeBox

Hey, welcome.  Hope you gain something from being a part of this board.   :)
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

Prometheus

When you figure out what those crazy theists are up to, let me know.  :beer:
"There's a new, secret hazing process where each new member must track down and eliminate an old member before being granted full forum privileges.  10 posts is just a front.  Don't get too comfy, your day will come..."-PC

SallyMutant

Howdy and welcome--you don't sound confused so much as thoughtful, open-minded, and non-judgemental--all good things. It's a balancing act. Enjoy the forum.

;)
There's nothing wrong with ambivalence--is there?