News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What are your core values? Writing a paper, need data.

Started by sixfinger88, April 15, 2009, 05:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

VanReal

Live, laugh, learn and try not to screw too many people over while clawing your way to the top.  (That last one equals empathy right?)
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. (Kathy Norris)
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)

Nulono

Reason
Equality
Freedom

I can't think of any more, but more specifically:
I am an antitheistic, agnostic, apatheistic, atheistic, skeptical, liberal, feministic, masculinistic, pro-youth rights, anti-abortion, communistic, egalatarian, libertarian, ethically essentialist, ethically cognitivist, deontological, pacifistic, anationalistic, environmentalist, naturistic, resistentialistic, Esperantist dozenalist.

liveyoungdiefast

Quote from: "sixfinger88"What is your rubric for interacting with the rest of humanity?

Sharing thoughts and making deep and meaningful relationships with a select few.

I am egalitarian in terms of human rights but I believe humans should absolute have a small group of others (their family, friends, and lovers) that they hold high above the rest of the world.

SSY

Hedonsim, sloth, gluttony, physical attractiveness and pies.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Heretical Rants

Political:
Humans have rights based in property: Themselves, their lives, their minds, their work, their possessions, etc.
Violation of these rights is evil, and also voids the rights of the aggressor.

If you follow this idea to its ends, that makes me a Libertarian.

Philosophical:

Rationality rules--Logic applied to facts.

This, carried further, and combined with my idea of rights based in property, leads to many of the conclusions of Objectivism( in pragmatism there are no facts )
QuoteObjectivism holds that:

1. Reality exists as an objective absoluteâ€"facts are facts, independent of man’s feelings, wishes, hopes or fears.
   2. Reason (the faculty which identifies and integrates the material provided by man’s senses) is man’s only means of perceiving reality, his only source of knowledge, his only guide to action, and his basic means of survival.
   3. Manâ€"every manâ€"is an end in himself, not the means to the ends of others. He must exist for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself. The pursuit of his own rational self-interest and of his own happiness is the highest moral purpose of his life.
   4. The ideal political-economic system is laissez-faire capitalism. It is a system where men deal with one another, not as victims and executioners, nor as masters and slaves, but as traders, by free, voluntary exchange to mutual benefit. It is a system where no man may obtain any values from others by resorting to physical force, and no man may initiate the use of physical force against others. The government acts only as a policeman that protects man’s rights; it uses physical force only in retaliation and only against those who initiate its use, such as criminals or foreign invaders. In a system of full capitalism, there should be (but, historically, has not yet been) a complete separation of state and economics, in the same way and for the same reasons as the separation of state and church.

thiolsulfate

Eating babies -- er -- I mean -- eating puppies.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "SSY"Hedonsim, sloth, gluttony, physical attractiveness and pies.

Quote from: "thiolsulfate"Eating babies -- er -- I mean -- eating puppies.

Pies made of babies and puppies! Oh, glorious Heaven!  :drool
-Curio

Whitney

My core values include not writing requests for other people to take their time to help me with information for a paper then never returning to tell them the results of that papers.

Fellow HAF members, do you like answering these polls just for the hell of it and the benefit of anyone who is curious?  Or should I make posting this kind of stuff against the rules unless prior permission is granted by an admin?

thiolsulfate

I've only been here a few days, but I think it's fine.

curiosityandthecat

I never have a problem with polls. People like answering them because people like talking about themselves. Oops, I've revealed the secret of MySpace, Facebook and Twitter!  :D

If they don't come back, I really don't care, either. I answer for my enjoyment, not because I'm really interested in the person's research. Selfish, I know.  :bananacolor:
-Curio