News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Anyone Watch Dexter?

Started by MikeyV, December 18, 2006, 09:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeyV

I did a search, but didn't see this topic posted.

Has anyone seen Showtime's new series Dexter?

I realize that not everyone has Showtime, so if you don't have Showtime, feel free to ignore me.

This is a synopsis that shouldn't contain spoilers. If it does I apologize.

The story behind Dexter is, a police officer in Florida adopts a child that has been through a very traumatic experience. The child is an absolute sociopath. He has nothing in common with humanity whatsoever. He is quick on the path of becoming a serial killer.

The cop, recognizing the child for what he is, teaches Dexter to blend in by faking emotions, relationships, and everything else that would make him pass off as human. The cop (Harry) also knows that it's only a matter of time before Dexter kills. So, instead of trying to stop him from killing, he teaches Dexter to kill only the scum of the earth. So, Dexter matures, and gets a job with the Miami police department as a blood spatter analysis expert. When he discovers a serial killer or some other person deserving of death, he kills them. He satisfies his need for the kill, and removes an undesireable from society.

I find the whole show to be quite fascinating and entertaining. Just watching Dexter try to maintain a face of normality while hiding his inner monster is fabulous.

If you haven't seen this series, I highly recommend it. The season that just finished can't rightly be called a season. It was more of an extended pilot. Showtime wanted to see how it would do before commiting to an extended production. It became their number one rated show after the first episode, so they will be doing a 12 episode season starting in 2007.
Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things. One is that God loves
you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the
most awful, dirty thing on the face of the earth and you should save
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.

McQ

Quote from: "MikeyV"I did a search, but didn't see this topic posted.

Has anyone seen Showtime's new series Dexter?

I realize that not everyone has Showtime, so if you don't have Showtime, feel free to ignore me.

This is a synopsis that shouldn't contain spoilers. If it does I apologize.

The story behind Dexter is, a police officer in Florida adopts a child that has been through a very traumatic experience. The child is an absolute sociopath. He has nothing in common with humanity whatsoever. He is quick on the path of becoming a serial killer.

The cop, recognizing the child for what he is, teaches Dexter to blend in by faking emotions, relationships, and everything else that would make him pass off as human. The cop (Harry) also knows that it's only a matter of time before Dexter kills. So, instead of trying to stop him from killing, he teaches Dexter to kill only the scum of the earth. So, Dexter matures, and gets a job with the Miami police department as a blood spatter analysis expert. When he discovers a serial killer or some other person deserving of death, he kills them. He satisfies his need for the kill, and removes an undesireable from society.

I find the whole show to be quite fascinating and entertaining. Just watching Dexter try to maintain a face of normality while hiding his inner monster is fabulous.

If you haven't seen this series, I highly recommend it. The season that just finished can't rightly be called a season. It was more of an extended pilot. Showtime wanted to see how it would do before commiting to an extended production. It became their number one rated show after the first episode, so they will be doing a 12 episode season starting in 2007.

Haven't heard of it. It's an interesting theme.

I have, however, heard of and watched "Dexter's Lab". Of course, that's a whole different kind of Dexter!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

Quote from: "McQ"I have, however, heard of and watched "Dexter's Lab". Of course, that's a whole different kind of Dexter!

Lol, that's what I thought he was talking about till I read the post.

I don't have showtime...but will make sure to check out the show sometime when I'm at my dad's.

MommaSquid

Quote from: "McQ"Haven't heard of it. It's an interesting theme.

I have, however, heard of and watched "Dexter's Lab". Of course, that's a whole different kind of Dexter!

Spooky...I had the same thought!

MikeyV

Funny. Dexter's Lab.

Well, he is Dexter, and he works in a lab, but the commonalities end there.

The series is based on a book by Jeff Lindsay called "Darkly Dreaming Dexter"

Dexter is played by Michael C. Hall, who was also incredible in "Six Feet Under".

If you're interested, the first chapter is  available here. The series seems to be very true to the book. Dexter has a running internal monologue during most of the show. Quite often, it makes for a weird sort of dichotomy between what he's saying out loud, and what he is saying internally. An example:

****SPOILER ALERT****

Dexter comes to a crime scene that is just body parts. There is no blood, just pieces that have been meticulously cut from a body. The detectives on the scene are asking him "Isn't this the grossest thing you've ever seen?" and he replies "Pretty close to it" in a deadpan, while internally he's saying "This is the work of a real professional, the sheer artistry and beauty of what he's accomplished...I'm in the presence of a master!" while trying to suppress a smile.

Great television. I love a good anti-hero.
Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things. One is that God loves
you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the
most awful, dirty thing on the face of the earth and you should save
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.