News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Love Thy Neighbor, Anyway

Started by newblueradio, February 10, 2009, 11:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newblueradio

I had recently done a YouTube broadcast where I discuss how I feel that society places too much "faith" (pardon the pun) in the notion that theists are superior to atheists in the department of morality and ethics.  I beg to differ greatly, because I say that we don't need the fear of burning damnation to propel us to do the right thing.  Moral code is no more important just because it was taught through one book or another, through the figurehead of an invisible deity or just simply a tightly-held philosophy.  In fact, I think in many ways, an atheistic moral code is superior to a theistic one because we do what's right for the sake of doing right.  We aren't forced through fear or childhood indoctrination to help our fellow man or take care in the concerns of our community or society.  We do it because it is the right thing to do, because it has its own rewards, and because we cannot expect others to do right by us if we do not stand in solidarity with them in their time of need.

This is something I feel very strongly about.  I want to spread the word about "Love Thy Neighbor Anyway".  I don't have anything personal to gain from it, other than the satisfaction of following my heart (and perhaps a couple of YouTube hits, but like that means anything).  I just want to feel as though I am a part of the bigger movement to further our nation and our world.  Regardless of our faith (or lack thereof), we should unite with this single purpose.  Party lines and beliefs are irrelevant.  I do NOT believe that world peace is a dream... I believe whole-heartedly that it can become a reality if we all work together.

I welcome anyone, whether they agree or disagree, to post here, to check out my YouTube radio address (not necessary, because the meat of my broadcast is posted above, but I posted it anyway in case you need something to make fun of me with) or to contact me personally.  I want to connect with people, especially other de-converts like myself.  Please, click this or don't, I don't mind, I just want to pass this message along.

"Love Thy Neighbor Anyway"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3kCShVueN0

Thank you for your time.  Take care, and be safe.

Cheers,
Blue (just like the sky, in my world)

Kyuuketsuki

That you spammed this across several forums tells me you're more interested in promoting something else than being part of HAF.

'nuff said.

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

Whitney

Blue, you may ignore what Kyu said.  I do not view the OP as spam.

newblueradio

Quote from: "Whitney"Blue, you may ignore what Kyu said.  I do not view the OP as spam.

Thank you.  I posted this on a grand total of three forums, each of them being atheist forums.  I really didn't think that would be considered spam, since the point of posting this was to engage people in meaningful conversation and to meet like-minded people.  I also wanted to see which forum(s) I might find myself posting more regularly, based on what kind of response I got.  The last online community I was a part of was d2jsp.org (a Diablo II gaming/trading forum), and I grew very tired, very quickly.  After being surrounded by bile-spewing teenagers all the time, I felt well out of place and hoped to connect somewhere else.

G.ENIGMA

I enjoyed that ... I believe I heard somewhere that being kind to your neighbour is a survial instinct passed down from when communities lived closer together.. a way of fermenting help in a time of need ...  an act of kindness could one day mean the person you helped could repay the favour in your time of need.

Plus, I have to be honest and declare a selfish reason for loving my nieghbour ... "she's hot"  :banna:  

Quote from: "Whitney"Blue, you may ignore what Kyu said.  I do not view the OP as spam.

What's OP by the way whitney?
To those who are overly cautious, everything seems impossible.

Whitney

Quote from: "G.ENIGMA"What's OP by the way whitney?
Original Post or Original Poster

GodlessInND

Good day, Blue!  I very much enjoyed this broadcast and plan to check out the others you have on YouTube.  

A few years ago, a woman I worked with excitedly informed me that she was going to introduce me to a friend of hers who she thought would get along famously with me.  She went on and on about how we have the same interests, and how we're both strong Christian women.  Needless to say, I was baffled by the Christian part.  I told her I would love to meet her friend, I'm always open to making new friends, but what on earth makes you think I'm "good Christian?"  She pointed out things like generosity, compassion, not judging others.  I thanked her and told her I always strive to be those things, but I'm not a Christian--would that be a problem for her friend?  Oh, no, as long as you're not an atheist, she replied, quite disdainfully.  When I didn't say anything, she laughed kind of nervously for a few seconds.  I said, in fact I am an atheist, and politely explained that the so-called "Christian" qualities she pointed out are not the exclusive domain of Christianity, or any religion, for that matter.  I explained that my efforts to be generous, loving, and non-judgmental are inspired by a desire to make this world a little bit better while I'm here, and hopefully make this place a little nicer for the next generation.  She said nothing, so I mentioned that the local art museum was opening a new exhibit in a few days, would that be a good opportunity to meet your friend, doing something we both like?  She said she'd have to ask her friend, but nothing ever came of it.  I guess me and my "atheist" values were no longer compatible with her friend's.

newblueradio

Quote from: "GodlessInND"Good day, Blue!  I very much enjoyed this broadcast and plan to check out the others you have on YouTube.  

A few years ago, a woman I worked with excitedly informed me that she was going to introduce me to a friend of hers who she thought would get along famously with me.  She went on and on about how we have the same interests, and how we're both strong Christian women.  Needless to say, I was baffled by the Christian part.  I told her I would love to meet her friend, I'm always open to making new friends, but what on earth makes you think I'm "good Christian?"  She pointed out things like generosity, compassion, not judging others.  I thanked her and told her I always strive to be those things, but I'm not a Christian--would that be a problem for her friend?  Oh, no, as long as you're not an atheist, she replied, quite disdainfully.  When I didn't say anything, she laughed kind of nervously for a few seconds.  I said, in fact I am an atheist, and politely explained that the so-called "Christian" qualities she pointed out are not the exclusive domain of Christianity, or any religion, for that matter.  I explained that my efforts to be generous, loving, and non-judgmental are inspired by a desire to make this world a little bit better while I'm here, and hopefully make this place a little nicer for the next generation.  She said nothing, so I mentioned that the local art museum was opening a new exhibit in a few days, would that be a good opportunity to meet your friend, doing something we both like?  She said she'd have to ask her friend, but nothing ever came of it.  I guess me and my "atheist" values were no longer compatible with her friend's.

Thank you!

The ending of your story is a sad one, but one I saw coming early on in the paragraph.  This is just how many believers behave towards anyone who do not practice their exact faith, and it is unfortunate that they can't look at people objectively.  What's really sad is, she judged you twice!  Once when she thought you had to be a Christian due to these positive characteristics that she could identify with, and then again when she discovered you don't fit the pre-defined mold that is preached to her on a weekly basis.  Clearly, she thought you were a decent enough human being upon first impression to introduce you to her friends.  All I can say is, she will never know what she's missing, because in my view, an ethical atheist is better than an ethical Christian because we don't require anything of you to extend our hand in good will.  But that's okay, let her reap what she sows.  lol

Not to get too off topic, but your story put me in mind of something I had mulled over earlier this week.  One thing I considered doing on my radio program but am hesitant about is comparing religion to disease.  If you look at the characteristics of diseases and what defines them, many religions have a great deal of parallels with cancer.  I don't seek to outright offend people of any ideology, but I feel the accuracy of this comparison is staggering.  Of course, as always, it is just an opinion, but I welcome any response.

Quote from: "G.ENIGMA"I enjoyed that ... I believe I heard somewhere that being kind to your neighbour is a survial instinct passed down from when communities lived closer together.. a way of fermenting help in a time of need ...  an act of kindness could one day mean the person you helped could repay the favour in your time of need.

Plus, I have to be honest and declare a selfish reason for loving my nieghbour ... "she's hot"  :banna:

I personally believe that all things we do has a selfish nature to it, even those things that we do for the benefit of others.  We are programmed through our DNA to take care of our own, and this brings us a great deal of satisfaction.  There are many instincts which animals exhibit for survival that we share, but I believe our own special evolution has given us other types of "survival instincts" that stretch far beyond "fight or flight".  But inter-human indoctrination has caused so many people to turn that wonderful sense of preservation into a form of elitism, which disgusts me on more levels than I ever thought possible.

Yes, you heard me, I called religious people "elitists".  lol

G.ENIGMA

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "G.ENIGMA"What's OP by the way whitney?
Original Post or Original Poster

Oh right.. Thanks Whitney :banna: [/quote]

I have to be honest again and tell you that I haven't really thought of my neighbour as hot or not ... I actually said that with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek :crazy: lol  , so could you explain what you mean by "inter-human indoctrination" please. :pop:

newblueradio

Quote from: "G.ENIGMA"
Quote from: "newblueradio"But inter-human indoctrination has caused so many people to turn that wonderful sense of preservation into a form of elitism, which disgusts me on more levels than I ever thought possible.

Yes, you heard me, I called religious people "elitists".  lol

I dont quite get this "inter-human indoctrination" saying ... (I understand indoctrination)

I did a quick google for the phrase and it did not come up until result 11, but that was a link to what you said in the post I am asking about ...  :pop:

It was pretty much my way of saying that human beings tend to drill these viewpoints into each other, they aren't just taught by a single entity.  Religious fervor feeds off itself, and people grow more confident in their beliefs when they have others constantly in their presence to reinforce them.  Religion isn't just indoctrination from birth, they are taught to continue to press their ideals on others (and back upon themselves, really) throughout their lives.

It was possibly a redundancy in language, but I'm by no means an English major.  I have, however, been told a time or two that I should publish my own dictionary so that others might understand me better.  I've yet to discern whether or not those were compliments.

G.ENIGMA

Quotenewblueradio
It was possibly a redundancy in language, but I'm by no means an English major.  I have, however, been told a time or two that I should publish my own dictionary so that others might understand me better.  I've yet to discern whether or not those were compliments.

Well it sounds like an interesting phrase, worthy perhaps of a small investment anyway ;)

Of course now that I have added them to this post you need to be aware that the happy athiest forum will be right up there on the seo ratings for those keywords with you. lol ... your welcome Whitney :P

G.ENIGMA

Quote from: "G.ENIGMA"
Quotenewblueradio

Well it sounds like an interesting phrase, worthy perhaps of a small investment anyway ;)

Of course now that I have added them to this post you need to be aware that the happy athiest forum will be right up there on the seo ratings for those keywords with you. lol ... your welcome Whitney :D

inter human indoctrination

SallyMutant

This is perfect for a thread called "LoveThy Neighbr Anyway." Thanks.

I was baffled by the Christian part. I told her I would love to meet her friend, I'm always open to making new friends, but what on earth makes you think I'm "good Christian?" She pointed out things like generosity, compassion, not judging others
There's nothing wrong with ambivalence--is there?