News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Official* HAF Video Game Thread

Started by curiosityandthecat, March 17, 2009, 08:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Quote from: Claireliontamer on November 14, 2015, 09:47:44 PM
In what has been a very surreal evening,  I have won an xbox one.  So.....do I keep it or sell it?  If I keep it, what games do people recommend?

If you use Netflix and the like and have some blurays and dvds hanging about it is very good for that, it is  even better as a devices for playing games though. If you are going to keep it I'd recommend Life is Strange and Rise of the Tomb Raider without really knowing what sort of media you like. Both very entertaining so is Ori and the Blind Forest but that requires a bit of skill which you may or may not have. If your child is into Minecraft as they all seem to be that would also be a good choice.
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Claireliontamer

It's really odd as I was joking about buying one a couple of weeks ago as I saw the Lego Hobbit game and thought it looked fun.  I genuinely thought it was a hoax at first as a guy (with a very strong scouse accent) called my mobile to tell me I'd won it.  After deciphering the conversation a little it came out that I'd bought some raffle tickets at the firework display last week and my ticket had been pulled out for the top prize.  So, sure enough I got an xbox delivered to me last night by a dodgy looking character.......

Anyway, I have decided to keep it.  I have now got netflix running through it and iplayer for the BBC stuff.  It came with the Tomb Raider game so I had a little go last night.  I haven't really played videogames since the likes of Sonic and Mario Brothers so it was strange having so much video story content too, in fact I didn't really do a lot of 'playing' it seemed more like watching.  Is this the norm for games now?  I did enjoy though, it hooked me and it actually helped me unwind after a pretty stressful period of work.

As for the skill level.........I'd say very much beginner, I tend to just hit a load of buttons before finding the one I want!

Crow

Quote from: Claireliontamer on November 15, 2015, 07:29:03 AM
It's really odd as I was joking about buying one a couple of weeks ago as I saw the Lego Hobbit game and thought it looked fun.  I genuinely thought it was a hoax at first as a guy (with a very strong scouse accent) called my mobile to tell me I'd won it.  After deciphering the conversation a little it came out that I'd bought some raffle tickets at the firework display last week and my ticket had been pulled out for the top prize.  So, sure enough I got an xbox delivered to me last night by a dodgy looking character.......

Anyway, I have decided to keep it.  I have now got netflix running through it and iplayer for the BBC stuff.  It came with the Tomb Raider game so I had a little go last night.  I haven't really played videogames since the likes of Sonic and Mario Brothers so it was strange having so much video story content too, in fact I didn't really do a lot of 'playing' it seemed more like watching.  Is this the norm for games now?  I did enjoy though, it hooked me and it actually helped me unwind after a pretty stressful period of work.

As for the skill level.........I'd say very much beginner, I tend to just hit a load of buttons before finding the one I want!

It is varied in terms of video to gameplay depending on the game, the other game I mentioned to you Life is Strange is an interactive drama so you are primarily watching and your main impetus is to direct the decisions and actions of the main character, the story and events then react to what you decide and is episode based with each episode being the length of a movie.

In the case of Tomb Raider it starts of breaking people into gameplay which revolves around exploring, puzzle solving, and high action set pieces and doesn't ask players to do too much at once, most AAA games (the game industry equivalent of a blockbuster movie) take this route and are very accessible due to it. Skill wise when starting out always pick easy and there is nothing wrong with dying it is often used as a learning experience, also many games even though they create a sense of urgency a lot of the time you can take your time though that isn't always the case.
Retired member.

Crow

Shadow Complex is currently free on PC/mac. I highly recommend downloading it.

https://www.epicgames.com/shadowcomplex/
Retired member.

joeactor

Quote from: Crow on December 04, 2015, 10:21:17 AM
Shadow Complex is currently free on PC/mac. I highly recommend downloading it.

https://www.epicgames.com/shadowcomplex/

Looks cool - thanks, Crow!

Crow

Anyone played The Witcher 3? Despite the slow start it is much better than the first two and quite frankly shits over almost every RPG I have played in the past.
Retired member.

Claireliontamer

Well I can report I have finished my first ever video game. Lego Jurassic World is complete 100% of challenges done.  I am struggling with Tomb raider,  I was enjoying it but I'm at a part that I just cannot get past and so it's been stuck in the box a few weeks.

Also, I don't play that often but every time I seem to want to and I turn the xbox on it needs updating,  is this normal?

Crow

Quote from: Claireliontamer on January 18, 2016, 11:13:13 AM
Well I can report I have finished my first ever video game. Lego Jurassic World is complete 100% of challenges done.  I am struggling with Tomb raider,  I was enjoying it but I'm at a part that I just cannot get past and so it's been stuck in the box a few weeks.

Also, I don't play that often but every time I seem to want to and I turn the xbox on it needs updating,  is this normal?

Nice one.

Yeah that is normal, it is a ball ache. They do that to get rid of bugs, prevent piracy and stop hacking. I think you can ignore them if you like but that removes some of the online features.
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Crow on January 15, 2016, 02:48:13 PM
Anyone played The Witcher 3? Despite the slow start it is much better than the first two and quite frankly shits over almost every RPG I have played in the past.

I want it. My computer can't handle it though.  :(

Crow

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 19, 2016, 10:52:56 AM

That's a shame, after seeing the amount of time you played Skyrim for the game would be right up your street.
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Crow on January 29, 2016, 12:04:29 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 19, 2016, 10:52:56 AM

That's a shame, after seeing the amount of time you played Skyrim for the game would be right up your street.

Yeah, I will definitely buy it in the future when I have more time on my hands and money to spend on a new high end computer.

:sad sigh: My wishlist grows faster than the list of games I own.    :-\

Crow

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 03, 2016, 11:13:40 AM
Yeah, I will definitely buy it in the future when I have more time on my hands and money to spend on a new high end computer.

Mine is pretty much the opposite, I own too many games and don't have enough time to play them. They are all so damn long these days, I much prefer a concise well crafted 4 hour game (Firewatch is what I most want to play next) to a bloated 20+hr game. The Witcher 3 is a rare game that I never once thought this is too long and the story bit is probably around 40hrs itself never mind all the side stories which a far better than the main story which take the game to well over a hundred hours.
Retired member.

Firebird

My computer's 8 years old and I'm too lazy to update it, so I've mostly been playing older games that I never got a chance to try the first time around, mostly when I went to college. I just finished the first Fallout and am working on number 2. Somewhat frustrating, as I had to cheat a bit to find those little itty-bitty things in the corner of the screen to finish the quests, but still imaginative stories and characters. Figured I'd do this before the more modern number 3 and 4.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Crow on February 03, 2016, 12:28:09 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 03, 2016, 11:13:40 AM

Mine is pretty much the opposite, I own too many games and don't have enough time to play them. They are all so damn long these days, I much prefer a concise well crafted 4 hour game (Firewatch is what I most want to play next) to a bloated 20+hr game. The Witcher 3 is a rare game that I never once thought this is too long and the story bit is probably around 40hrs itself never mind all the side stories which a far better than the main story which take the game to well over a hundred hours.

I brought a bunch of games during the Xmas sale, but up to now haven't played them much. I haven't finished any either. I'm a bit of a compulsive buyer. I will almost certainly buy the Witcher 3, though I don't know if I'll spend hundreds of hours playing it.  :P

I also don't like very long games, it's like I don't have the attention span for them anymore. Even really good games such as Grim Fandango tend to collect virtual dust in my library these days.