News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Official* HAF Video Game Thread

Started by curiosityandthecat, March 17, 2009, 08:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

I'm playing through Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning again. It's a pretty-looking game, it is. Also, vast as single player RPGs go.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Crow

Quote from: Asmodean on July 18, 2012, 11:59:27 PM
I'm playing through Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning again. It's a pretty-looking game, it is. Also, vast as single player RPGs go.

I have always been intrigued by that game it looks fun but I don't know how much time i can honestly sink into a role playing game at the moment. I did enjoy the demo.

----

What sort of games would anyone recommend to people that haven't played games before but are interested in doing so but haven't developed the hand eye co-ordination or multitasking required to play the more intense or complex games?

I was thinking Portal 2 would be the perfect game to start with. Its simple in terms of controller schemes that the player can take at their own pace whilst also subliminally learning the basics for more hectic games, it also shows great story telling in combination with superb puzzles and humor and allows them to engage in multiplayer gameplay that suits a slower pace. Plus if they are a teacher they can get the game for free.
Retired member.

Asmodean

You would want something with intuitive controls. Most shooters will do if you set the difficulty accordingly. You can also try Assassin's Creed games. They are complex, but the learning curve is not bad and tutorials do explain a lot.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Crow

Quote from: Asmodean on July 19, 2012, 10:48:38 PM
You would want something with intuitive controls. Most shooters will do if you set the difficulty accordingly. You can also try Assassin's Creed games. They are complex, but the learning curve is not bad and tutorials do explain a lot.

That is the game series the person in question wants to play but just lacks the basic timing required at the moment (this is a person that is in there 60's who has never played a digital game apart from solitaire and chess) or familiarisation with game controls. The problem with Assassins Creed as a first game is that it requires you to know the location of the all the buttons shown on screen automatically with the corrisponding buttons on the gamepad without thinking, it also requires the player to be able to read small writing quickly whilst doing other things, for someone who has played games for years its simple but for somebody that is totally new its quite a massive leap.

I was also maybe thinking the Prince of Persia game as that is similar to Assassins Creed but much easier and still looks impressive that doesn't require a a huge chunk of time to play.
Retired member.

Asmodean

Yes, PoP might do... I didn't like it meself, but that is a matter of taste.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

joeactor

Quote from: Crow on July 19, 2012, 09:35:34 PMWhat sort of games would anyone recommend to people that haven't played games before but are interested in doing so but haven't developed the hand eye co-ordination or multitasking required to play the more intense or complex games?

I was thinking Portal 2 would be the perfect game to start with. Its simple in terms of controller schemes that the player can take at their own pace whilst also subliminally learning the basics for more hectic games, it also shows great story telling in combination with superb puzzles and humor and allows them to engage in multiplayer gameplay that suits a slower pace. Plus if they are a teacher they can get the game for free.

I'd second either Portal or Portal 2 - it's a fun game with no time demands in the regular mode, good story, wry sense of humor.  And you don't need a console to run it.

Hook 'em up!

xSilverPhinx

I think you can't go wrong with Portal. It's easy and intuitive, not to mention the co-op is really fun.

There are also simple and easy indie games such as Limbo and others of that type. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Black Jester

I've enjoyed getting lost in Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas, myself.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Asmodean

Quote from: The Black Jester on July 20, 2012, 01:38:15 AM
Ah! Asmo The Evil Nord Mage was seen slaughtering some village before he grew bored and switched to Amalur for a time. My third play-through of Skyrim, that.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Asmodean on July 20, 2012, 03:23:11 AM
Quote from: The Black Jester on July 20, 2012, 01:38:15 AM
Ah! Asmo The Evil Nord Mage was seen slaughtering some village before he grew bored and switched to Amalur for a time. My third play-through of Skyrim, that.

Really, third play through? Wow. I started playing Oblivion (got the extended version with the DLC) and still haven't finished it. Started Skyrim, but thought I'd finish Oblivion first, since I was well into it.

You won't belive the amount of loot I've collected. I keep at least one of everything in a chest in Battlehorn castle. ::)

I would like to buy Amalur, but my computer can't handle it.

Asmodean

Ah! You see, my third playthrough is really because I suspect there was some loot I didn't get in the second. I sort of... Forgot to pickpocket the immortal NPCs and since they can not be looted as corpses, their loot did not end up belonging to me.  >:(
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Crow

Quote from: Asmodean on July 20, 2012, 03:30:19 AM
Ah! You see, my third playthrough is really because I suspect there was some loot I didn't get in the second. I sort of... Forgot to pickpocket the immortal NPCs and since they can not be looted as corpses, their loot did not end up belonging to me.  >:(

That's impressive I have sunk around 80hrs into one character and no way near doing everything I wanted with it, I just stopped because I had other games I hadn't played though I do still pick it up from time to time and do intend to finish the dark brotherhood missions.
Retired member.

Asmodean

The Asmo lets no stone be left unturned and no loot be left unlooted.  :D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Tell me, is it a sign that you're focusing maybe just a bit too much on looting when, after raiding a cave, you keep going back to make sure you've got everything? Even items that are worth one coin? :D There are some big caves in the game. ::)

After doing that about 3 or four times, I realised that it might be a bit much. Pity there's no "Looter's Anonymous" I might go to.

Asmodean

Well, I usually scoop everything on the first run and barely move when I go fo the surface. Then, after unloading the loot, I go in again to check if there may be a bucket left... Or a kitchen sink.  :D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.