News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Official* HAF Video Game Thread

Started by curiosityandthecat, March 17, 2009, 08:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy

Quote from: Tank on April 23, 2012, 04:19:00 PM
Quote from: Jimmy on April 23, 2012, 02:54:07 PM
My daughter did excellent on her third quarter report card, so she was able to "pick" a video game for the Wii. She went with Mario Galaxy 2 and I had absolutely NO influence on this decision  ;)
No! You just picked it off the shelf and paid for it!

sounds about right  ;D
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Tank

Quote from: Jimmy on April 23, 2012, 04:22:16 PM
Quote from: Tank on April 23, 2012, 04:19:00 PM
Quote from: Jimmy on April 23, 2012, 02:54:07 PM
My daughter did excellent on her third quarter report card, so she was able to "pick" a video game for the Wii. She went with Mario Galaxy 2 and I had absolutely NO influence on this decision  ;)
No! You just picked it off the shelf and paid for it!

sounds about right  ;D
Typical dad! Thought so  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

The word "gamer" pisses me off.
Retired member.

Amicale

Quote from: Crow on May 09, 2012, 04:09:47 PM

Hmm. Why? :)

Personally I think it's odd that the word "gamer" excludes any other sort of game that isn't a video game, but aside from that, I'd be curious about your thoughts on it.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Crow

Quote from: Amicale on May 09, 2012, 09:30:20 PM
Quote from: Crow on May 09, 2012, 04:09:47 PM

Hmm. Why? :)

Personally I think it's odd that the word "gamer" excludes any other sort of game that isn't a video game, but aside from that, I'd be curious about your thoughts on it.

Simply because video games are a form of entertainment, its not like there is a definition for people who do and don't read books, or watch tv and movies. I play computer games to unwind and relax exactly the same as I would if I was enjoying a novel or a TV series. These days I would be surprised if there were people under the age of 40 who don't play some sort of digital interactive game, with the popularity of pick up and play games like Angry Birds, Draw Something, Farmville, Words with Friends, and the Wii. Then if you also look at the figures of sales from the Call of Duty series that has grossed more money than any other form of entertainment, that happened 3 years ago and each Call of Duty release since has broken that record. Its not a niche product any more like it was back in the day of the ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64 so why still use the term. And that's not even looking at the impact the industry has to various economies.

I also dislike the geeky culture that surrounds the term, but that's not really why I dislike the term though. Each to there own.
Retired member.

ThinkAnarchy

^^^ I'm going to start calling myself a "booker."  :D
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Amicale

Crow - OK, thanks for explaining. I understand what you're saying about it not being a niche market anymore. With the rise in popularity of the easy-access games you mentioned (ie, Angry Birds), I've noticed less people referring to themselves just as gamers. The term seems to have reached its height in the late 90s/early part of the last decade. Ten years ago, none of the smartphones, Wii systems etc existed, so people who were 'gamers' really did have to go out of their way to actually be one.

Although when it comes to having terminology for people who read books, watch TV, and go to movies... I always thought it was reader, TV watcher/addict, movie-goer/movie-lover/film buff, etc.  :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Amicale

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on May 09, 2012, 10:51:45 PM
^^^ I'm going to start calling myself a "booker."  :D

:D the scary thing is that 'Nooker' and 'Kindler' have come into common parlance for those who use the e-readers. Not to de-rail the game thread, though.  ;D

joeactor

(btw, if anyone's playing Diablo III today... I'm King Leoric's voice ;-)

Crow

Quote from: joeactor on May 15, 2012, 03:40:40 PM

Nice one! I was going to buy it today but darn pesky work has ruined those plans, I will have to wait till Thursday until I can have a listen.
Retired member.

joeactor

Quote from: Crow on May 15, 2012, 04:47:41 PM

Nice one! I was going to buy it today but darn pesky work has ruined those plans, I will have to wait till Thursday until I can have a listen.

Lemme know what you think when you have a few spare weeks to play (sounds addictive!)

I've actually only heard the Skeleton King's voice so far.
Hoping some fan posts a YouTube of Leoric...

Crow

Quote from: joeactor on May 15, 2012, 04:57:40 PM
Quote from: Crow on May 15, 2012, 04:47:41 PM

Lemme know what you think when you have a few spare weeks to play (sounds addictive!)

I've actually only heard the Skeleton King's voice so far.
Hoping some fan posts a YouTube of Leoric...

Just heard your voice in the game. Very believable, Blizzard always get there voice actors right.
Retired member.

joeactor

Quote from: Crow on May 22, 2012, 11:11:04 PM
Just heard your voice in the game. Very believable, Blizzard always get there voice actors right.

Thanks Crow!
They were very professional and detailed on their direction.

I found a clip of Leoric's diary on YouTube.

Actually forgot a lot of it - I recorded the first session almost 4 years ago!

Crow

Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Crow on June 01, 2012, 12:53:42 AM
https://www.humblebundle.com/

So good!

Just bought it ;D

Edited to add: I've been curious to play Amnesia: dark descent after people have been saying how scary it is.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey