News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Official* HAF Video Game Thread

Started by curiosityandthecat, March 17, 2009, 08:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: history_geek on March 16, 2012, 03:29:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSnituXXEGA

Well apparently SOMEBODY decided to play the troll, AND make a few extra tons of money with ME3... >:(

Well, I've calmed down a bit since finishing the game yesterday. I just really needed to vent somewhere about it. And the internet is better than ranting and raving in front of people I like being my personal friends.

I don't doubt the validity of that video, and would have been surprised if they didn't release more DLC. I'm still annoyed the released day one DLC From Ashes. It was a very important character side mission that filled in a big part of the story up until this point. The only reason I bought it was because I had extra money on my gamestop card.

It's just annoying such a good series left such a negative taste in my mouth after completing my first ending. I'm going to try out the next branch in the ending this weekend to see if it is at least better, but I'm not optimistic given how other people have been so disappointed by the endings they got.
Regardless, Bioware is now in my mental list of game companies to avoid for a while. I will happily purchase their games in the future once they release the GOTY with DLC included. 

"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

history_geek

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on March 16, 2012, 06:22:48 PM

Well apparently SOMEBODY decided to play the troll, AND make a few extra tons of money with ME3... >:(

Well, I've calmed down a bit since finishing the game yesterday. I just really needed to vent somewhere about it. And the internet is better than ranting and raving in front of people I like being my personal friends.

I don't doubt the validity of that video, and would have been surprised if they didn't release more DLC. I'm still annoyed the released day one DLC From Ashes. It was a very important character side mission that filled in a big part of the story up until this point. The only reason I bought it was because I had extra money on my gamestop card.

It's just annoying such a good series left such a negative taste in my mouth after completing my first ending. I'm going to try out the next branch in the ending this weekend to see if it is at least better, but I'm not optimistic given how other people have been so disappointed by the endings they got.
Regardless, Bioware is now in my mental list of game companies to avoid for a while. I will happily purchase their games in the future once they release the GOTY with DLC included.

I was also foaming a little about the Day 1 DLC stunt, even though I went ahead and bought the Collector's Edition (well the N7-patch was nice, and all extra guns are appreciated, though to me the greatest case for purchase was, as usual, the soundtrack. What can I say, I love music ;D ), but it is still an almost sadistic dick move to do both that and move the ending to a DLC. Especially when its the last part of a trilogy that has had such an amazing quality since the beginning. :-\

And personally, if I blame anyone, my finger is pointing at EA, though I doubt that BioWare is completely blameless. I have never trusted EA for some reason, and stunts like this certainly do not raise its status on my list of good, reliable companies...
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: history_geek on March 17, 2012, 12:37:45 AM
Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on March 16, 2012, 06:22:48 PM

I was also foaming a little about the Day 1 DLC stunt, even though I went ahead and bought the Collector's Edition (well the N7-patch was nice, and all extra guns are appreciated, though to me the greatest case for purchase was, as usual, the soundtrack. What can I say, I love music ;D ), but it is still an almost sadistic dick move to do both that and move the ending to a DLC. Especially when its the last part of a trilogy that has had such an amazing quality since the beginning. :-\

And personally, if I blame anyone, my finger is pointing at EA, though I doubt that BioWare is completely blameless. I have never trusted EA for some reason, and stunts like this certainly do not raise its status on my list of good, reliable companies...

I agree most of the blame is likely with EA. I have disliked EA for a while now, and game publishers in general. Publishers seem to put to much emphasis on release dates. I know ME 3 was initially scheduled to be released in 2011, and got pushed back to Q1 2112, but from what I played, there was still a lot of work left to be done. Part of the blame lies in the consumer, but as a company you have to balance the outrage. Game companies and publishers tend not to do that. There are many things I could pin point as being bad, like "X" on the PS3 being the button for running, ducking behind cover, jumping over gaps, jumping over cover, rolling... and I think I might be forgetting one or two things. The lip syncing was terrible in places, and the PS3 still suffers from dialogue being being cut off partially or entirely. That is coupled with some frame rate issues in certain areas of the Citidel and occasionally in battle.

These things didn't bother me though, possibly because I was desensitized by Bethesda's piss poor attempt of porting Skyrim to PS3.

I agree that most of these problems, including DLC are a result of the publisher, but I certainly don't hold Bioware free of blame. As a gamer, I'm personally fine with sub-par graphics. I can tolerate poor lip syncing. I can even tolerate a bad ending.

I can't however tolerate a company advertising the amount of choice in there series only to have said choices equal nothing... I think that is my main problem with ME3. They did a decent job throughout showing how our previous choices played into the outcome... but than came the outcome, and none of our choices seemed to matter...

I also hate the children in the gaming community who scream for MP or Co-op in every single game.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Crow

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on March 17, 2012, 02:04:09 AM

I also hate the children in the gaming community who scream for MP or Co-op in every single game.

+1000000

Multiplayer when its done well is fantastic, the new SSX implementation of multiplayer is great and is a type of multiplayer I can fully get behind as is the same with Mirrors Edge use of online multiplayer. But I am sick of games which are heavily single player focused which then have a half arsed multiplayer feature tacked on when that money could have been spent on refining the game and making a much more engaging experience.
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Crow on March 17, 2012, 03:09:39 PM
Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on March 17, 2012, 02:04:09 AM

+1000000

Multiplayer when its done well is fantastic, the new SSX implementation of multiplayer is great and is a type of multiplayer I can fully get behind as is the same with Mirrors Edge use of online multiplayer. But I am sick of games which are heavily single player focused which then have a half arsed multiplayer feature tacked on when that money could have been spent on refining the game and making a much more engaging experience.

Or they could leave part of the MP or Co-op to independent programmers and modders, which is something I wish Valve had done with Portal 2...there are too few maps.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

history_geek

Just to get the last word on publishers and DLCs....

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Augustus

I just bought Journey off PSN and cant wait, apparently its an amazing experience :) Waiting for it to download at the moment though (Damn UK internet speeds).

Lately i'm trying to have a more refined taste in games, I've never really enjoyed COD or anything. At the moment i'm saving up for: Dark Souls, Ico Collection HD and Bastion :D My Current favorite game series has to be AC, although i do love strong story driven games (RDR, LA Noire, Skyrim ect).

Whist i do prefer a PS3 to a 360, i'm no PS3 Fanboy. If i wasn't a student i would have a gaming PC instead :)

Crow

Quote from: Augustus on March 21, 2012, 01:12:31 PM
I just bought Journey off PSN and cant wait, apparently its an amazing experience :) Waiting for it to download at the moment though (Damn UK internet speeds).

Lately i'm trying to have a more refined taste in games, I've never really enjoyed COD or anything. At the moment i'm saving up for: Dark Souls, Ico Collection HD and Bastion :D My Current favorite game series has to be AC, although i do love strong story driven games (RDR, LA Noire, Skyrim ect).

Whist i do prefer a PS3 to a 360, i'm no PS3 Fanboy. If i wasn't a student i would have a gaming PC instead :)

I am really tempted to get a PS3 for that game but I don't think I can justify the expense for a single game, maybe when Ni No Kuni, The last guardian, and KARA are released I will get one.
Retired member.

Augustus

Quote from: Crow on March 21, 2012, 01:36:47 PM
I am really tempted to get a PS3 for that game but I don't think I can justify the expense for a single game, maybe when Ni No Kuni, The last guardian, and KARA are released I will get one.

Get it for the Ico Collection HD aswell, Shadow of the Colossus is an amazing game, as is Ico. The Uncharted games are pretty good also and Demon Souls is amazing, also God of War 3 if you want to brutally murder your way through the Greek Parthenon ;). The PS3 doesn't have that many exclusives but out of what there is most are pretty good :)

ThinkAnarchy

I have been thinking about getting it, but it will depend on the price. I think it is only like a 3 hour game, so if the price is about 5.99 I'll buy it. If not I will wait for it to go on sale. I have heard only good things about Journey though.

Augustus

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on March 21, 2012, 05:29:09 PM
I have been thinking about getting it, but it will depend on the price. I think it is only like a 3 hour game, so if the price is about 5.99 I'll buy it. If not I will wait for it to go on sale. I have heard only good things about Journey though.

I've started playing and believe me its amazing, its odd how you can bond to a player without even being able to properly communicate with them.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Augustus on March 21, 2012, 09:01:53 PM

I've started playing and believe me its amazing, its odd how you can bond to a player without even being able to properly communicate with them.

I still plan on playing it, but I checked the price, and I simply can't value the game at that price. After I play it I may think differently, but I think i will still old out for a sale. I went ahead and picked ICO HD up, per your recommendation, while running errands today. I never played it on the PS2 and I have heard others rave about it in the past, so I decided I would give that a try for now.

Augustus

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on March 21, 2012, 10:22:48 PM
Quote from: Augustus on March 21, 2012, 09:01:53 PM

I still plan on playing it, but I checked the price, and I simply can't value the game at that price. After I play it I may think differently, but I think i will still old out for a sale. I went ahead and picked ICO HD up, per your recommendation, while running errands today. I never played it on the PS2 and I have heard others rave about it in the past, so I decided I would give that a try for now.

Ah it would be nice to hear your thoughts on it, Colossus is brilliant at evoking a sense of loneliness so don't be too surprised if you get really attached to your horse :D

Quote from: Budhorse4 on March 14, 2012, 03:11:38 PM
I'm thinking of setting up a HAF Minecraft server. Would anyone be interested in that.

I would be, as soon as i get some money to buy a copy of Minecraft :)

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Augustus on March 22, 2012, 07:27:55 AM

Ah it would be nice to hear your thoughts on it, Colossus is brilliant at evoking a sense of loneliness so don't be too surprised if you get really attached to your horse :D

Well, I started with ICO last night and got about an hour in. I will say the camera is very jarring, and even annoying. As I have played I've gotten better at controlling it, but I still don't like it. I do enjoy the atmosphere of the game though, and the interesting emotional appeal of seeing the little girl being dragged behind you. The mechanics seem very simple, but overall the game is fun. Unfortunately I had to learn the hard way to hold her hand as often as possible. She seems to disappear when ever you walk through a loading area with out her connected to the protagonist.

I will let you know my thoughts on Shadows when I try that one.

Augustus

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on March 22, 2012, 05:15:32 PM
Quote from: Augustus on March 22, 2012, 07:27:55 AM

Well, I started with ICO last night and got about an hour in. I will say the camera is very jarring, and even annoying. As I have played I've gotten better at controlling it, but I still don't like it. I do enjoy the atmosphere of the game though, and the interesting emotional appeal of seeing the little girl being dragged behind you. The mechanics seem very simple, but overall the game is fun. Unfortunately I had to learn the hard way to hold her hand as often as possible. She seems to disappear when ever you walk through a loading area with out her connected to the protagonist.

I will let you know my thoughts on Shadows when I try that one.

Yeah its a shame they didn't make the camera smoother or anything when they HD-ified the games.