News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Official* HAF Video Game Thread

Started by curiosityandthecat, March 17, 2009, 08:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: skwurll on March 07, 2012, 04:43:42 AM
Also, I'm looking forward to seeing how AC3 continues the story. I'm not sure how the time period will effect gameplay, but I'm hoping they let Connor (the protagonist) get his hands on a new piece of eden. The apples were cool, but you could only use them in very scripted event sequences. I'd like to see a little more freedom with the pieces of eden, and hopefully more than one.

As an RPG fan, IMO it would be cool if Connor could get his hands on a piece of Eden and that would make the story non-linear, as in he could make decisions that could affect the whole gameplay with it. ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 07, 2012, 02:33:41 PM
As an RPG fan, IMO it would be cool if Connor could get his hands on a piece of Eden and that would make the story non-linear, as in he could make decisions that could affect the whole gameplay with it. ;D
Yes! Also, loot for The Asmo, please.  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Buddy

I'm thinking of setting up a HAF Minecraft server. Would anyone be interested in that.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Budhorse4 on March 14, 2012, 03:11:38 PM
I'm thinking of setting up a HAF Minecraft server. Would anyone be interested in that.

I would, though I wouldn't play as often as I would like.

Quote from: Asmodean on March 07, 2012, 03:42:26 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 07, 2012, 02:33:41 PM
Yes! Also, loot for The Asmo, please.  :D

But looting is so boring in AC, you have to wait a few seconds before you receive whatever you're looting!

Asmodean

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 15, 2012, 01:00:10 AM
But looting is so boring in AC, you have to wait a few seconds before you receive whatever you're looting!
...Seconds well spent in anticipation of maybe getting something shiney.  :D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

How would this work? Would there be a play area just for invited guests?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on March 15, 2012, 07:48:31 AM

Donno. But from what I've read, it has it's own ip that the players can put on their games and run it on multiplayer.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on March 15, 2012, 11:46:19 AM
Quote from: Tank on March 15, 2012, 07:48:31 AM

Donno. But from what I've read, it has it's own ip that the players can put on their games and run it on multiplayer.
So unless somebody knew, or guessed, the IP it would be a private play area. Sounds fun  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

joeactor

So... I hear Diablo III is getting released on May 15...

Just sayin'

;-)

ThinkAnarchy

Fuck Bioware!

Potential spoilers for Mass Effect 3 below. I will do my best to draw attention to possible spoilers with red text.

What is good about ME 3
- The story is engaging and character development along with my connection to the characters continued to grow.
- The game was less glitchy on the PS3 than ME 2 was.
- The score music is good.
- You get a good idea of the massive battle field.

The negative
-The Citidel is the only living town to explore. Granted it is slightly bigger than the previous game, but you run out of things to explore very quickly.
-Unless you play some multiplayer, it is rather tedious and difficult to get your readiness rating to an acceptable level for the best outcome.
Don't tack on MP and force us to play it in order to get a specific ending in the SP you stupid fucks!. My overall rating was less than 5000 (about 3775) and I'm not in the mood to increase it through tedious exploration or co-op at this point.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW

There are three branches at the end of the game. You have 3 choices that could result in 17 (?) endings. Fuck this. The ending I got was complete shit. Thankfully the game autosaves shortly before said decision, but getting back to said decision still takes some slow moving game play.

Super Spoilers Below

Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler

-The romance dialogue is sappy at best, and for my play through they were useless given someone in the relation either died or transformed. There wasn't nearly enough love interest stuff in the main story to make falling in love interesting, nor was their an imagined continuation of said story line in my ending.

I'm fine with a sad ending, it typically makes the game or movie more memorable. But at the end of this trilogy, you're left not knowing a lot and feeling as though your actions throughout the other games were pointless.

If you want to make a point about predestination, don't do it over 90 hours of game time (all three games) you stupid fucking shit heads! While making the gamer feel like they have a drastic difference in the outcome!

We don't play games to mirror real life. Give us endings that makes us happy as gamers and make us feel accomplished as the character.

MAJOR SPOILER

My Shepard became one with both synthetic and organic beings. He no longer existed after the final mission, at least not in his current form, yet I'm placed back on the Normandy to further his legacy... What the fuck... It's possible I missed something and he continued to exist in his current form, but did not see the game suggest that to me. If that were the case I should have had a cut-scene  at the end showing Shep and his love interest at the end.

Conclusion: Spoiler free

You fucked me Bioware, just like Cartman's mom raped him in Best Buy. I invested years into this series only for you to make terrible story decisions. How about you don't give us 17 fucking endings in the next game, UNLESS they actually differ drastically based on our previous decisions. How about you also give us some happy endings along with the depressing ones that make us feel like we wasted our free time on your IP.

Ultimately, the endings I have had thus far are disappointing at best. And to get different ones on my own, I have to begin ME2 on PS3 all over again.

The game was enjoyable until I reached it's conclusion. By the end I felt annoyed and ripped off.

I'm trading in ME 3 tomorrow to get decent money back, and will watch the other possible endings on youtube.

Have I mentioned how annoyed I am at Bioware yet.

NOT TO MENTION DAY 1 DLC! I hope Bioware chokes to death on a giant Reaper dick.

/End rant (review)
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Asmodean on March 15, 2012, 04:47:16 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 15, 2012, 01:00:10 AM
...Seconds well spent in anticipation of maybe getting something shiney.  :D

You're way more patient than I.

Crow

Think Anarchy I don't know if you have played and completed Red Dead Redemption but if so what did you make of that ending, just so I can balance out your opinion of the Mass Effect 3 ending.
Retired member.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Crow on March 16, 2012, 01:45:31 AM
Think Anarchy I don't know if you have played and completed Red Dead Redemption but if so what did you make of that ending, just so I can balance out your opinion of the Mass Effect 3 ending.

I thought the Red Dead Redemption ending was good. It was emotional and left a logical explanation for continuation of the core gameplay.

For those who have not played RDR; Do Not Read Below

The fact the main character died did not bother me because I was left with his offspring. Granted it was emotionally troubling to lose the character I had been playing as, but the story (from what I remember) prepared me for such a dreadful outcome.

The Mass Effect Universe and their games, have led us to believe our choices matter. The fact so few choices seemed to play into the final battle is why I'm so angry and disenfranchised.

With ME, given the time we invested in it, we should easily be able to get the best outcome... hell there should be several great outcomes that completely close out the love interest as well as what became of your crew.

On a side note, the movie "Gone Baby Gone," is terrible in my eyes. I absolutely despised the ending. Leading up to the ending I would have rated the movie an 8/10, after seeing the ending I rate it a 4/10. Personally, endings have the potential to completely ruin my previous enjoyment.

I don't mind depressing endings, but not when I'm being told to expect the ability to control the outcome.

I'm certain there will be DLC to fill in these post-final-mission plot points, but I view that as unacceptable.

SPOILERS BELOW

The fact my Shepard no longer exists in his previous form, means continuation of game play is illogical.  

Edit: for short answer to question.

I liked RDR's ending because it felt like the logical conclusion to the story. Rockstar also did a great job of balancing the players emotional ties to the character. It wasn't an "all or nothing" scenario. With my initial ending, there was no closure for my love interests, and they were a completely useless story arch.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

history_geek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSnituXXEGA

Well apparently SOMEBODY decided to play the troll, AND make a few extra tons of money with ME3... >:(
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Asmodean

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 16, 2012, 12:31:10 AM
You're way more patient than I.
Yes, Asmos are known for their patient and thorough looting.  :)
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.