News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Official* HAF Video Game Thread

Started by curiosityandthecat, March 17, 2009, 08:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Crow on February 28, 2012, 09:52:55 PM

I don't envy them in the slightest, my friend was a tester for SCE Studio Liverpool and now hates games and anything to do with them.

I wouldn't want to be a game tester either. That is nothing more than playing the same level or two over and over, viewing the code, and making notes. At least based on my limited knowledge.

With reviewers, they at least play the finished or nearly finished product and simply have to write a short review about what makes it fun and what makes you want to poor acid in your eyes.

"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Crow

What games are people looking forward to being released this year? Currently I cant wait for SSX, Mass Effect 3, The Witcher 2, BioShock Infinite, South Park RPG, Tomb Raider, and GTA5.
Retired member.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Crow on February 28, 2012, 10:25:27 PM
What games are people looking forward to being released this year?

For me it's Mass Effect 3, the South Park RPG, and Bioshock infinite. Personally I'm hoping for the best with the South Park game, but am not overly optimistic.

None of which I will purchase on release day; since getting burned once again by Bethesda's inability to professionally code a game.

"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Crow

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on February 28, 2012, 10:33:56 PM
Quote from: Crow on February 28, 2012, 10:25:27 PM
What games are people looking forward to being released this year?

For me it's Mass Effect 3, the South Park RPG, and Bioshock infinite. Personally I'm hoping for the best with the South Park game, but am not overly optimistic.

None of which I will purchase on release day; since getting burned once again by Bethesda's inability to professionally code a game.

Yeah im the same with games I will usually wait a bit before buying as the price usually drops shortly after release and the bugs are fixed by that time, though SSX will be a day one purchase for me as I love the OTT unrealistic frantic gameplay that the series offers.
Retired member.

xXxWashburnxXx

I can't wait for GTA5. Back in san andreas. And of course the new CoD and South Park RPG
Evolution is JUST a theory. Ya know, like gravity!

ThinkAnarchy

Personally I don't understand the hype around GTA V. Granted, I have been a fan of the series for a while, but I was very unhappy with the last iteration. They added the bowling, dating, etc, but it meant nothing to the overall gameplay. It was novel at first, but I quickly noticed it was simply a gimmick that added nothing to the overall game.

I like La Noir, which can be loosely compared to GTA, in that it was a massive city with very few enterable (spell check recognizes it, so Ia assume it's a word) buildings. The story was linear though which I prefer in an open world without open world elements.

I'm of the opinion GTA has lost it's appeal and we will simply get the same game repeatedly, just like with Battlefield and Modern Warfare. I personally want to see another entry in the Red Dead series from Rockstar.
http://www.gamespot.com/red-dead-redemption/platform/ps3/

Edit: I'm not arguing game companies shouldn't continue to tweak good games, but I have personally lost interest in many series because they do exactly that.

To be honest, I don't want much to change in the next Red Dead game because they did so much correct the second time. At some point however I will grow tired of that formula, and Red Dead V likely won't interest me much either.

Crow

I thought I would post this seeing as quite a few members of the forum like the series.

Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

Is it certain that Assassin's Creed III will be set during the American Revolution?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Crow

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 02, 2012, 10:27:34 PM
Is it certain that Assassin's Creed III will be set during the American Revolution?

Apparently so.

Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

Yeah

I was hoping it would be set during the French Revolution, but I'm not complaining...a new AC game is coming out ;D

xSilverPhinx

The trailer For Assassin's Creed III is out, in case anyone's interested.

8)

ThinkAnarchy

Anyone pick up ME3 yet. Apparently Bioware still hasn't got it's shit together, with people having problems transporting their characters on the 360 and having to switch discs every couple of hours. I have heard both consoles suffer from inconsistent frame rates, and at least on the PS3, there are reports of long loading screens. I have also heard about cheesy writing, and terrible endings, but those could simply be due to 4chan bombing metacritic with bad reviews due to day one DLC.

I'm curious if anyone here has played any of it yet.

Crow

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on March 06, 2012, 06:26:03 PM
Anyone pick up ME3 yet. Apparently Bioware still hasn't got it's shit together, with people having problems transporting their characters on the 360 and having to switch discs every couple of hours. I have heard both consoles suffer from inconsistent frame rates, and at least on the PS3, there are reports of long loading screens. I have also heard about cheesy writing, and terrible endings, but those could simply be due to 4chan bombing metacritic with bad reviews due to day one DLC.

I'm curious if anyone here has played any of it yet.
I highly doubt that many people managed to complete the game so quickly seeing as the game was released today in the States, and the other games in the series usually take around 30hrs to complete if I remember correctly.
Retired member.

ThinkAnarchy

The script was leaked a while back though, and from what I've read that leaked script is very accurate. ME 2 had some really cheesy dialogue though, so I doubt it will bother me in the third. The frame rates also dipped a lot during cut scenes, so I imagine that is accurate. A lot of the negative reviews are in protest of the day 1 DLC from what I've read.

I went ahead and picked it up today though, but haven't played it yet. I'm still finishing off ME2 with renegade Shep. Will let people know how it is when I get around to playing it some. 

skwurll

I've been a fan of GTA since the third, and in my opinion, what made GTA:IV great was the story. Sure, the other games were fun and had some cool stuff, but they didn't really have the same substance as GTA:IV.

Also, I'm looking forward to seeing how AC3 continues the story. I'm not sure how the time period will effect gameplay, but I'm hoping they let Connor (the protagonist) get his hands on a new piece of eden. The apples were cool, but you could only use them in very scripted event sequences. I'd like to see a little more freedom with the pieces of eden, and hopefully more than one.