News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Official* HAF Video Game Thread

Started by curiosityandthecat, March 17, 2009, 08:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

Quote from: slapdashartist on May 27, 2011, 04:40:36 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 27, 2011, 12:15:23 AM
and Metal gear solid series.

The 1st Metal Gear Solid (for PS1) is my all time favorite game! It was my first Playstation game (that and Spyro which I also love). I adore the entire series, but nothing will EVER beat that 1st one for me.
Holy crap! I played the first two on the NES (Metal Gear and Snakes Revenge), which is when I started liking the series... I guess that makes me a very old gamer.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sweetdeath

Fuck yeah. I remember watching friends play MG on the NES. I had an NES, but it wasn't until the Genesis and SNES that made me hardcore. I remember playing Contra: hardcorps at my 11th birthday, beating a lot of my male friends.

I was a female gamer before G4 tried to make it cool e_e
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Cecilie

Quote from: slapdashartist on May 27, 2011, 04:40:36 AM
(that and Spyro which I also love)

Spyro sure brings back childhood memories. That and Crash Bandicoot as well as Pokémon which I played on my Game Boy.
The world's what you create.

Sweetdeath

I used to own the special edition Pikachu gameboy. I wish I knew what happened to it.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Cecilie

This one? Cause I had this one.

The world's what you create.

slapdashartist

Quote from: Davin on May 28, 2011, 06:00:09 PM
Holy crap! I played the first two on the NES (Metal Gear and Snakes Revenge), which is when I started liking the series... I guess that makes me a very old gamer.

I have knowledge of the 1st two (which I didn't mention because I was referring to the ones with the "Solid" title) but yeah, I'm a bit young so I never got to play those unfortunately. But I am enough of a nerd to watch videos of them being played on youtube. (Apparently they were added to one of the newer edition Metal Gear games for PS2 as an extra.)

And there's nothing wrong with being an old gamer :P. I am a young one, but I have much appreciation for classics. Though the oldest games I've ever played were the 1st Nintendo games like Mario and Tetris.
"And a moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection." -Fight Club, by Chuck Palahniuk

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Cecilie on May 29, 2011, 01:11:01 AM

Wow my brother had two of those, once upon a time.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

ThinkAnarchy

I only had the traditional gray gameboy. I guess my mommy didn't love me as much...  It was the B&W model.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Sweetdeath

darkcyd

League of Legends ATM and used to be wow and some Battlefield

history_geek

Quoted from another forum I frequent:

Quote from: KaoscontrolMICROSOFT PRESS CONFERENCE

So the microsoft press conference is over and done with HOORAH IT WAS AWSOME.........../sarcasm. I will say I was more than dissapointed with the show to say the least and being a huge XB360 lover...this really hit home

The show opened great with some Modern warfare 3 footage...even if there was a small comedic error "Please reconnect controller". It looks AWESOME. Some really top notch graphics that really showed on the giant screen and some footage that just blew every other game out of the water. Although my mini gamer comment of the showing was "err...Imba shotgun anyone?" - rapid fire...longrange...whut?

Mass effect 3 featured which looked SWEET if I do say so myself - but the announcement here was the new Kinect voice command system which left me actually waiting for something more.... I can never see myself wanting to read off the dialogue options in a game. The voice commands for moving your squad were pretty sweet - but I also felt this lacked something - as the menu system really allows you to think through a situation at your own pace rather than having the voice command system which is far too on the fly and could lead to some mistakes in game.....but other than that....the game looks flawless!

Gears of War 3 was a highlight for me personally, being a huge fan of the series. on stage we had Cliff Bleszinski showing off some of the new campaign footage alongside rapper Ice T who has some voice acting in the game. Fairly awesome looking, and some of the new features like the mechs were shown in action. Looking forward to this.

We got some announcements of the much rumoured Halo: Combat Evolved - Anniversary, a pure remake of the original Halo game released 10 years ago, brought upto date on the new Reach Engine by Bungie. It seems Microsoft really are trying to push that goal of one halo game a year that was commented upon in previous interviews.

Forza Motor Sport 4 got some limelight, but we never really saw too much of the game other than a trailer. I can't really comment greatly other than it looked GORGEOUS.

Ubisoft then showed some footage of the new Ghost Recon Future Warrior series - with Kinect intergration! I have to say....I was impressed - although It looks a little weird running around in you're house with the poses they were using for firing guns and what not - the weapon customisation feature looked so cool! I can't wait to get a hands on!

Fable: The journey the next fable game was also given a showing at this point - which seems to be some sort of railed shooter...atleast thats the impression I got. Shooting fireballs with your hands, powering them up by using certain gestures - firing ice arrows etc. It was an interesting concept - but we'll see what comes of it.

At this point it seemed someone must have written in the script "QUE GIMMICKY SCENES....ACTION".

Hello more Kinect.

This point the show just seemed to go down hill. We got many devleopers and CEO's on stage....nothing was remarkably amazing as my hopes were originally set.

We then got mentions of the new services microsoft will be enabling on the system - such as Live TV that will be implemented globally with different services depending on countries. BING will be coming to the xbox (I can hear the cry of not-so-joy now) which will also feature multimedia services - on screen we were showng simple phrases like "X-MEN" and all games, films, cartoons related to this tag appeared on screen and allows users to browse collections like this as they will. Youtube is also coming to xbox.....taken long enough guys!

We then got previews of the games taking full advantage of Kinect....and I do not light heartedly say - I felt embarassed *FOR* the demoers. Poor kids.

We had a look at some light hearted family games with partnerships coming from Disney for a fully interactive Kinect experience of the Disney Land theme park - seems to be along the lines of games similar to kinect adventure, the launch title that came with Kinect.

We also got a look at a family oriented game based around Sesame Street. Sweet idea! but I can't help but feel its a more than limited market, its certainly not something I'd go pick up just for me and the lady friend to get freaky to. but hey!

Some final demos were also shown of the new Kinect Fun Labs a system that was launched today apparently. The basic concept here revolves around the home brew concept that was spawned with Kinects release. Well according to microsoft this was what Kinect was meant to spawn (Go back 6 months and Microsoft had a different tone...but nevermind) - and this will be a system that allows home users, that arn't into the whole tech thing, to download these homebrews and test them out on their xbox! no connecting to a PC required.

Closign the ceremony - we got a surprise. Atleast I was surprised - A mention of a trilogy. A new trilogy. Que awesome looking mysterious cinematic. - er...hello master cheif? Cortana? What?. HALO 4.

I was more than shocked with that announcement - A silly little fan boyism jumped up inside me - but at the same time something screamed inside "ER WHAT HAPPEND TO REACH BEING THE LAST IN HALO?!?!". We'll see what comes of this in the future!

that about sums it up really. We had some other titles named e.g. Star wars kinect, Kinect sport season two, Minecraft Kinect and Dance Central 2

Overall impressions? Well to be quite fair it wasn't what I was expecting towards the end with the conference. I was dissapointed the beginning had so much promise, but then the kinect thing just killed it all. Fun labs looks awesome, but the rest looks terrible from a gamer perspective. I know Microsoft want to break into the casual market some more, hence the whole kinect thing - but.....this conference just lacked something.

Dissapointed microsoft. Dissapointed.  4/10.

Mass Effect 3 E3 2011 Fall of Earth Trailer [HD]
Mass Effect 3 Voice Recognition Debut E3 2011 [1080 HD]
Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary E3 2011 Debut Trailer [HD]
Halo 4 E3 2011 Debut Trailer [HD]
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

xSilverPhinx

Has anyone bought and played The Witcher 2 yet? Is it any good?

I liked the first, though the second looks a bit different. Heck, I think I'll buy it anyways.

history_geek

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 13, 2011, 08:29:37 AM
Has anyone bought and played The Witcher 2 yet? Is it any good?

I liked the first, though the second looks a bit different. Heck, I think I'll buy it anyways.

I have bought it (Collectors Edition with hardcover Art Book FTW), but haven't played it yet. Simply put, my laptop sucks, and my new "game computer" still lacks certain things...yeah.

But if you really want to know, here's a good (...well, good but, ummmm.....well you'll see....) review of it:
The Witcher 2 - Sexy Review [AngryJoeShow]
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

original_gender

Quote from: Cecilie on May 29, 2011, 01:11:01 AM

Oh man, this must be how the previous generation feels when they look at a boy scouts manual.

xSilverPhinx

Just bought and completed the Da Vinci Code PC game. It was okay, though I wouldn't have gotten it if it weren't so cheap (roughly around  U.S$ 20).