News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Official* HAF Video Game Thread

Started by curiosityandthecat, March 17, 2009, 08:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "karadan"Hmm, made by Funcom... AOC Hyborian adventures was deeply flawed. I hope they can learn from their mistakes this time round.
The quote "there are no aliens or sci-fi elements" didn't instill much confidence in me, but then, i am an avid sci-fi fan. This is why i now fly space ships in an online universe :D
I know, I know... the Funcom and AOC thing has people hesitant. But Ragnar Tornquist can turn shit into gold. He was responsible for The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, two mindbendingly good games with enough plot levels to cover the entire Nintendo catalog. Really amazing narratives, even better voice acting. Check 'em out if you get a chance. :eek:
-Curio

karadan

Quote from: "rlrose328"I like the linear aspect... it's comforting to know each area has basically a triad of tasks.  I sometimes have trouble killing the felines.   :)

Quote from: "rlrose328"So I take it that means you're NOT on WoW anymore?  Bummer!  

Nope. I quit WoW over a year ago and started an Eve account. I've always preferred the sci-fi element in games. Too many wizards and magic makes me go a little weird.  :idea:    :)
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

karadan

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"
Quote from: "karadan"Hmm, made by Funcom... AOC Hyborian adventures was deeply flawed. I hope they can learn from their mistakes this time round.
The quote "there are no aliens or sci-fi elements" didn't instill much confidence in me, but then, i am an avid sci-fi fan. This is why i now fly space ships in an online universe :D
I know, I know... the Funcom and AOC thing has people hesitant. But Ragnar Tornquist can turn shit into gold. He was responsible for The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, two mindbendingly good games with enough plot levels to cover the entire Nintendo catalog. Really amazing narratives, even better voice acting. Check 'em out if you get a chance. :eek:

But you can't polish a turd :)

I'll check it out though. I'm always up for new adventures. If the format works for me, i'll play it.

When do you finish your degree?
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "karadan"But you can't polish a turd :|
-Curio

rlrose328

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"I finish my degree whenever I quit being lazy and write these damn papers. Anybody wanna write my rhetorical analysis of Darrow's "Speech in Defense of Religious Liberty" from the Scopes Monkey Trial?  :confused:

I know what rhetorical means and I know what analysis means... but together... nada.  ;-)
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "rlrose328"
Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"I finish my degree whenever I quit being lazy and write these damn papers. Anybody wanna write my rhetorical analysis of Darrow's "Speech in Defense of Religious Liberty" from the Scopes Monkey Trial?  :confused:

I know what rhetorical means and I know what analysis means... but together... nada.  ;-)
Nevermind. I finished it this morning. Means I can write that review of Killzone 2 this weekend. :)
-Curio

quizlixx

Quote from: "rlrose328"

Nevermind. I finished it this morning. Means I can write that review of Killzone 2 this weekend. :)
hmm, killzone 2? have heard this game feels "floaty" if you've played a floaty game, you'll know what i'm talking about.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "quizlixx"hmm, killzone 2? have heard this game feels "floaty" if you've played a floaty game, you'll know what i'm talking about.
It very much does. It's also a visual borefest. There's grey, and then a slightly lighter color grey, and then there's a darker bit of grey, and then some metal, painted grey. Red eyes, occasionally. Aside from that, zzzzzzz.

I mean, Fallout 3 was postapocalyptic grey, but at least it had a sense of humor.
-Curio

karadan

Quote from: "quizlixx"hmm, killzone 2? have heard this game feels "floaty" if you've played a floaty game, you'll know what i'm talking about.
It very much does. It's also a visual borefest. There's grey, and then a slightly lighter color grey, and then there's a darker bit of grey, and then some metal, painted grey. Red eyes, occasionally. Aside from that, zzzzzzz.

I mean, Fallout 3 was postapocalyptic grey, but at least it had a sense of humor.

And giblets. Don't forget the giblets.

rlrose328

Quote from: "karadan"If you do make a character on Runetotem, let me know your characters name and i'll get you an invite. :)

I forgot to ask... is he horde or alliance?
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Hat

I remember some girl I know telling me that she didn't like Fallout 3 and Shin Megami Tensei; IMAGINE because they "wasn't colorful enough" for her liking. I mean, dude, they're both set after a huge apocalypse. Things are naturally going to be dark and depressing, not all Sunshine and Rainbows. I have occasional binges of Fallout 3 because I tend to die a lot or get lost and stop playing, but I really love how totally wrecked everything looks. I'm also going to work harder so I can eventually try out The Pitt. Industrial town gone downhill via infections and mutations? Yes please.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Hat"Things are naturally going to be dark and depressing, not all Sunshine and Rainbows.
Exactly why I switch between Fallout 3 and Oblivion on a regular basis. :D
-Curio

Godless

One word: Crysis

Once you see the game on a high-end gaming PC on its highest settings your eyes will orgasm.

quizlixx

Quote from: "Godless"

One word: Crysis

Once you see the game on a high-end gaming PC on its highest settings your eyes will orgasm.
the graphics are amazing, yes, but how is the game itself? What good is being able to see every individual blade of grass if the game is no good?
Otherwise, this is just a pretty physics simulation.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

Godless

Quote from: "quizlixx"the graphics are amazing, yes, but how is the game itself? What good is being able to see every individual blade of grass if the game is no good?
Otherwise, this is just a pretty physics simulation.

I love the gameplay since I find it pretty fun. You get to choose how to approach different situations, either run and gun, blow the shit out of everything, or go in stealthily. Crysis also has a pretty engaging story with top notch voice acting. Crysis Wars, the multiplayer for Crysis Warhead is also a blast to play.