News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Official* HAF Video Game Thread

Started by curiosityandthecat, March 17, 2009, 08:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadPoison

Lately I've been playing a lot of Starcraft 2. It's freaking amazing and dynamic. The multiplayer is where it's at though - I haven't even completed the campaign. Not that the campaign isn't good too...

I also play Minecraft - which is great because I get distracted easily.

Oh, and I can not wait for Star Wars the Old Republic. I've been following its development and hope it's every bit as epic as it has the potential to be.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "BadPoison"Lately I've been playing a lot of Starcraft 2. It's freaking amazing and dynamic. The multiplayer is where it's at though - I haven't even completed the campaign. Not that the campaign isn't good too...

I also play Minecraft - which is great because I get distracted easily.

Oh, and I can not wait for Star Wars the Old Republic. I've been following its development and hope it's every bit as epic as it has the potential to be.
I need to get all of those games. Especially the first two.  :drool

Minecraft looks really fun.

BadPoison

Minecraft is a lot of fun - I highly recommend it if you have a creative personality. My next minecraft project is to build the castle Winterfell from George  R R Martin's A game of Thrones.

LegendarySandwich

I want to play Minecraft, but I'm broke, and it's twenty dollars. :(

karadan

HOLY CRAP!! Check out how amazing this trailer for Dead Island is!

[youtube:1caeionv]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqrG1bdGtg[/youtube:1caeionv]
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

joeactor

Quote from: "karadan"HOLY CRAP!! Check out how amazing this trailer for Dead Island is!

[youtube:2mrcu7qo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqrG1bdGtg[/youtube:2mrcu7qo]

... awesomely creepy... very well done.

BadPoison

The Dragon Age 2 demo is out for Xbox, PS3 and PC!

I downloaded it and played through the PC version last night and I'm no longer worried about the combat being dumbed down from the original. The combat is faster, bloodier, and the animations are sweet yet the original game's tactical gameplay seems to have been mostly preserved. It's really a lot of fun. You can still pause the game and issue different commands to your party and play with strategy like in the first game which I had been worried about having read some of the interviews with the devs.

Also, the voice acting in the demo seems better than in the first game. I'm glad the player character now has a voice, and the written dialogue seems to be of higher quality.

Have any of you played the demo yet? What did you think?

DirtyLeo

I wish I had time to play...

I love role-playing games. I used to play table-top RPGs, then online but I don't have much time these days.
Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie
* "Often, the last thing men believe is the truth."
* "Right y'are! I must be the stupidest bastard in the Circle of the World, er? It's a wonder I can hold my own shit in without paying mind to my arse every minute."
Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay
* "We

BadPoison

I've been working on an older PC and getting my own minecraft server up and running. So far it runs pretty well but after 3 people connect it can start to lag. This isn't due to my internet connection, more because the older PC could use some optimizing. Ideally, I should reinstall windows to clear out all of the silly start-up programs hogging resources and maybe even add some ram, but I don't have a windows disc anymore (besides the win7 backup cd for my laptop.) Any suggestions? If I can get the server running more smoothly I would love to invite all of you to play!

BP

history_geek

Got my copy of the DA2 Signature Edition (pre-ordered last november  :hissyfit: And the irony being that the last time a family friend, who works with computers for the county, came to see what's the problem, the damned thing worked... for the whole five minutes he was working on it. 20 minutes later it died again. Talk about rotten luck. So now I can't access the nifty extra content, the soundtrack and (for me free) DLCs :upset: *sigh* just my luck.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

YaarghMatey487

I'm finally getting back into gaming. I played a lot of games growing up but when the (as I call it) "Halo Age" came into being I chose to do other things. I played Fable II a few weeks ago and I'm very excited to say that I'm BACK. Sadly, I have a PS3 and a Mac so no Fable for me of any kind. However, I've recently been playing Oblivion and Dragon Age. So far Oblivion seems closer to Fable. My skills are lackluster at the moment so I was killed before I could even get out of the dungeon basement cave thingy.
"Don't you love the Oxford Dictionary? When I first read it, I thought it was a really really long poem about everything."- David Bowie

missedtheboat

AHH! Video game thread!! I wish I had more time to play, but I do LOVE them! I've been playing the Dragon Age, haven't got the second one yet...seems like a blast though!!

Anyone final fantasy fans?

curiosityandthecat

(Too lazy to go back through and check, so maybe repost here.)

Ran across Amnesia: The Dark Descent the other day and am quite impressed with it.

[youtube:8rb7rngz]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1nY_5-UrY4[/youtube:8rb7rngz]

It's nice to see something new (well, new-ish, anyway... if you don't count Penumbra) come into the survival horror/adventure genre. It'd be interesting to compare Silent Hill (3rd person), Amnesia (1st person), and Fatal Frame (a mix of the two) and see how/why/what makes each one scarier or more disturbing than the others.  :idea:
-Curio

joeactor

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"(Too lazy to go back through and check, so maybe repost here.)

Ran across Amnesia: The Dark Descent the other day and am quite impressed with it.

[youtube:2nafvla0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1nY_5-UrY4[/youtube:2nafvla0]

It's nice to see something new (well, new-ish, anyway... if you don't count Penumbra) come into the survival horror/adventure genre. It'd be interesting to compare Silent Hill (3rd person), Amnesia (1st person), and Fatal Frame (a mix of the two) and see how/why/what makes each one scarier or more disturbing than the others.  :idea:

I got it on Steam, and have played a little.  Pretty good so far...

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "joeactor"I got it on Steam, and have played a little.  Pretty good so far...
Did you get the whole game or the demo? The demo is the very beginning and then something somewhat later in the game, spliced together as if it were the regular progression. It's unfortunate because it goes from "here's how you pick something up, and here's how you open a door" to "HOLY CRAP INVISIBLE MONSTER JUMP FROM THIS BOX TO THAT BOX WITH A TIME LIMIT OMGWTFAKJSFLKAJSFLKAJFKJ".

:|

Could've been done a bit better. It's certainly got a very disturbing atmosphere, I'll say that, though.
-Curio