News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Atheists, come on, really, stop and think for a minute..

Started by Psalm23, March 04, 2009, 02:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maestroanth

F

Whitney

Quote from: "maestroanth"If there wasn't a Deist God, that pretty much means time is irrelevant since it would both be an infinite line both forward and backward.  

How does a deist god not existing mean that time is infinate?

Quote from: "maestroanth"I get flamed pretty bad on this forum as well, so don't feel bad.
Honestly, and this is not to scare you off, if you think disagreeing with you is flaming then you might want to stay away from any free thought forums.  Free thinkers like to argue and are use to challanging each other's views.

Quote from: "maestroanth"I tend to slant to believe just to keep my hopes high and my morals in check. If I was an atheist, I'd see no reason to not fill my "morally wrong" desires. I think that faith is part of an evolutionary concept to keep us in comfort from cold logic. If everything is in cold logic, you'd see bad consequences just as you would in cold religion.

If we had to have religion in order to live in groups (in order to be ethical) then humans would have never been able to evolve into the social beings we are today.  For logic, as it relates to morality, to be cold it would have to leave out the factors which make it benefitial to the individual to want to act morally.  But, this is for a different thread.

btw, what philosophies have you read besides Kant?

maestroanth

F

maestroanth

F

karadan

This is the only post we'll get from this troll. I guarantee it.

QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Psalm23

Quote from: "MariaEvri"we have
that's why we are atheists
Apparently you haven't given it much thought, or you wouldn't be an atheist. I find it absurd how a small minority of the human race can say, "God does not exist" without having the 100% facts about the Universe. I can't help but to think that maybe atheists are just disgruntled former believers?
"Wash me clean, set me free, hold me closer, cover me" - David Crowder - My Hope

Psalm23

Quote from: "maestroanth"I tend to agree half-way in the middle with you.  I get flamed pretty bad on this forum as well, so don't feel bad.  I should find a happy agnostic page or something so more people agree with me, (but then what's the fun in that! lol).

Data just tends to point to the universe may be infinite, but like you said, it's still just a guess.  Being 100% sure there is a god (as in a philosophical way) is just another guess.  

I tend to slant to believe just to keep my hopes high and my morals in check.  If I was an atheist, I'd see no reason to not fill my "morally wrong" desires.  I think that faith is part of an evolutionary concept to keep us in comfort from cold logic.  If everything is in cold logic, you'd see bad consequences just as you would in cold religion.

South Park is right on a level, if everything was based around on cold logic you'd see fighting and feuding over that just as you would religion.

Well, back to reading some immanuel kant.

All best
This is my second visit in this forum, and from the replies on my O.P, I can see there are some disgruntled people in here that like spew childish names at religious people, especially Christians. Christianity has had a bullseye on it's back since it's birth.

Islamic believers can use airplanes as guided missiles and fly them into buildings, stone non-believers to death, hang people who disobey Allah, blow up cars and trucks, wage war on the world all in the name of Allah, and nothing is said about that, but Christians are reminded daily of the Crusades that took place 1,200 years ago, or child molesting Priests. but the second an Islamic believer detonates a car bomb in the name of Allah, you can hear a pin drop in the atheist crowd.

I wonder how many atheists screamed, "OH MY GOD" on the morning of 9-11-01?
"Wash me clean, set me free, hold me closer, cover me" - David Crowder - My Hope

Twiddler

Quote from: "Psalm23"
Quote from: "MariaEvri"we have
that's why we are atheists
Apparently you haven't given it much thought, or you wouldn't be an atheist. I find it absurd how a small minority of the human race can say, "God does not exist" without having the 100% facts about the Universe. I can't help but to think that maybe atheists are just disgruntled former believers?

Yes, because atheists are really the ones following the crowd and believing what everybody else is.  Give me a break.  But still, explain to me how not knowing all the facts about the Universe should lead us to worshiping a god.  I don't see the connection, yet you do because its all you've ever known to do in your life.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Psalm23"This is my second visit in this forum, and from the replies on my O.P, I can see there are some disgruntled people in here that like spew childish names at religious people, especially Christians. Christianity has had a bullseye on it's back since it's birth.

Islamic believers can use airplanes as guided missiles and fly them into buildings, stone non-believers to death, hang people who disobey Allah, blow up cars and trucks, wage war on the world all in the name of Allah, and nothing is said about that, but Christians are reminded daily of the Crusades that took place 1,200 years ago, or child molesting Priests. but the second an Islamic believer detonates a car bomb in the name of Allah, you can hear a pin drop in the atheist crowd.

I wonder how many atheists screamed, "OH MY GOD" on the morning of 9-11-01?

-Curio

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: "Psalm23"Apparently you haven't given it much thought, or you wouldn't be an atheist. I find it absurd how a small minority of the human race can say, "God does not exist" without having the 100% facts about the Universe. I can't help but to think that maybe atheists are just disgruntled former believers?

Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Will

Quote from: "Psalm23"Apparently you haven't given it much thought, or you wouldn't be an atheist. I find it absurd how a small minority of the human race can say, "God does not exist" without having the 100% facts about the Universe. I can't help but to think that maybe atheists are just disgruntled former believers?
Why aren't you agnostic? You seem to make agnostic arguments. Why is it that a strong atheist or antitheist is wrong for having an absolute nonbelief in god, but a theist is right for having an absolute belief in god, given that they have access to the same incomplete data?
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Recusant

Quote from: "Psalm23"The entire universe cannot be explored. As a matter of fact.. mankind has not even scratched the surface of the Universe, so how can anyone say with sheer confidence that God does not exist?

That is by far the most absurd argument ever displayed.

Please, sir, do not put on airs.  I do agree with you that your argument is absurd, as you yourself say above, but it's hardly "the most absurd argument ever displayed." I've heard more absurd arguments coming from 5th graders, and I know that if you try really hard (maybe ask Jesus for help) you can come up with an argument that is even more incoherent and nonsensical than this one.   I think you may be onto something here, though.   Every one knows that atheists love an absurd argument; am I right?

I appreciate the fact that you took time out of your busy day sub pontus, as it were, to brighten our dreary, godless lives.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

GodlessInND

Quote from: "Psalm23"The entire universe cannot be explored. As a matter of fact.. mankind has not even scratched the surface of the Universe, so how can anyone say with sheer confidence that God does not exist?

Gee, no one's ever said it like that before.  Faced with such a masterful argument, I guess I have no choice other than to believe.  Thank you for showing me the light.

Kylyssa

Oh, I've never heard the statement that since we don't have all the answers to everything, god must be real.  :nerd:

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: "Psalm23"Christianity has had a bullseye on it's back since it's birth.

Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.