News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Urantia Noah's ark...the small myth. (Split Topic)

Started by Arie, February 14, 2009, 01:42:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "SSY"I feel my questions are partly reponsible for the thread jacking, I am sorry. Start a new thread and we will discuss it there.

Done and done.

Here ya go.
-Curio

Whitney

I also split this from the main Noah's Ark thread.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Whitney"I also split this from the main Noah's Ark thread.
Thankee.  :D

Quote from: "Arie"Well, obviously the authors who wrote the book do not state they just made it up. And I believe they did not as well as many other intelligent people. They speak authoritatively on many different subjects. Anyways...you also have no evidence that it isn't true.
Well, obviously. If they stated they just made it up, it'd be kinda hard to sell as non-fiction. A person who truly believes he is Napoleon can authoritatively speak on what it feels like to be Napoleon. Doesn't make it worth anything.

No, I don't have any proof that the universe isn't just one giant, cosmic, spiritual blancmange. I do, however, have my powers of reason and deduction which tell me that it's a stupid idea.
-Curio

Arie

I was never preaching. I originally just shared my ideas and subsequently answered member's progressively hostile questions, ridicule, and insinuations. I'm done with this forum. On a cold dark night, years from now...pick up the urantia book with a humble heart and see for yourself with real eyes.

P1118:1, 102:0.1 To the unbelieving materialist, man is simply an evolutionary accident. His hopes of survival are strung on a figment of mortal imagination; his fears, loves, longings, and beliefs are but the reaction of the incidental juxtaposition of certain lifeless atoms of matter. No display of energy nor expression of trust can carry him beyond the grave. The devotional labors and inspirational genius of the best of men are doomed to be extinguished by death, the long and lonely night of eternal oblivion and soul extinction. Nameless despair is man's only reward for living and toiling under the temporal sun of mortal existence. Each day of life slowly and surely tightens the grasp of a pitiless doom which a hostile and relentless universe of matter has decreed shall be the crowning insult to everything in human desire which is beautiful, noble, lofty, and good.

P1118:2, 102:0.2 But such is not man's end and eternal destiny; such a vision is but the cry of despair uttered by some wandering soul who has become lost in spiritual darkness, and who bravely struggles on in the face of the mechanistic sophistries of a material philosophy, blinded by the confusion and distortion of a complex learning. And all this doom of darkness and all this destiny of despair are forever dispelled by one brave stretch of faith on the part of the most humble and unlearned of God's children on earth.

P1118:3, 102:0.3 This saving faith has its birth in the human heart when the moral consciousness of man realizes that human values may be translated in mortal experience from the material to the spiritual, from the human to the divine, from time to eternity.

curiosityandthecat

Dude, coming out of nowhere, plopping down a dozen "verses" from your version of the Bible in threads that have nothing to do with it, and you don't call that preaching? If not preaching, then most definitely selling.

Didn't you read the sign? No soliciting. Also, stay off the grass.

By the way, just because a book falls in line with the way you want to see the world doesn't make it special. I agree with some of the philosophy in Fight Club, but I recognize it for what it is.
-Curio

Whitney

Quote from: "Arie"I was never preaching. I originally just shared my ideas and subsequently answered member's progressively hostile questions, ridicule, and insinuations.

Yes, you were preaching.  You came to this forum and started posting verses from your chosen holy text with the intent to try to expose people to your views (and in doing so derailed one of the topics).  The reason some members may have not responded so kindly is because your "answers" were that you have no reason to believe in what you believe so they don't have to accept it but should read your holy book anyway.  Basically, you annoyed people into (mild) hostility.  This is why I sent you the pm earlier today explaining that free thinkers get annoyed when not provided evidence or reason and reminding you that preaching is discouraged on the forum.

QuoteI'm done with this forum.

Ok, bye.  I think you will find that we did give you a lot more freedom than most atheist forums will allow religious people.

Will

Arie, maybe you can answer this: What's the discussion here? You said something about Noah, and then started quoting verses from your spiritual text. Then you quoted more. Then some more. Then there was a burden of proof fallacy. Then you seem to have no idea why we accuse you of preaching?

BTW, curiosityandthecat: FEED ME A STRAY CAT.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

SSY

Quote from: "Arie"
Quote from: "SSY"I fail to see why it would be more meaningful than Harry Potter, please enlighten me as to why you think it is? If there is no evidence to support any of it, why do you beleive it is true?

Well, I think it is more meaningful than Harry Potter because it describes God and his inhabited universe. It talks in detail about the afterlife and our progression through the universe. It has a very meaningful description of Jesus' life on earth 2k years ago including his childhood years.

Just because it talks about things you think are important (arguably, talking about a whole hidden world, that disobeys all know laws of physics and follows the life of one very courageous young fellow could be seen as just as important) does not mean it has any meaning, becuase there is no guarantee it is correct or factual.

Why would have meaning if non of it is true? If you think it is true, why do you think it is true? What evidence to you have to support your reasoning?
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Will"Arie, maybe you can answer this: What's the discussion here? You said something about Noah, and then started quoting verses from your spiritual text. Then you quoted more. Then some more. Then there was a burden of proof fallacy. Then you seem to have no idea why we accuse you of preaching?

BTW, curiosityandthecat: FEED ME A STRAY CAT.

Do you like Phil Collins?
-Curio