News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

My Intro w/ family, religion, politics, murder and intrigue!

Started by Aerlinn, January 27, 2009, 11:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlinn

Quote from: "VanReal"
Quote from: "Recusant"While it's quite true that American atheists have never persecuted believers, the same cannot be said of all atheism.  In the USSR, the Russian Orthodox Church did indeed suffer.  While it might be argued that this was more a political act than an act of atheist persecuting believer, it was in fact an atheist regime which rained down death and destruction on a church.

Interesting point.  Communist China als persecuted any believers, because you can't be a good communist and believe in God.  There are tons of stories from the Chinese Gulag of people inprisoned without reason, and many of them imprisoned indefitely (most dying of disentery) just for not openly denying God.  You didn't only have to not believe you needed to make sure everyone was aware of it, or you might be a closet believer.  Harry Wu wrote Bitter Winds about this which is one of the best biographies I've read.

Ok. Due to the truth of these two points, I must humbly retract my statement that atheists have never persecuted anyone for their beliefs. It was quickly written, and not very well thought out. My bad.  :blush:
[size=85]"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear."[/b]  - Thomas Jefferson[/size]

Recusant

No worries! :)   Far better to become more well informed here in a friendly environment than to be blindsided while trying to make a point in discussion with a Mormon, Jehovah's Witness, or some other variety of peripatetic proselytizer. Not that I would suggest inviting religious fauna into your house, unless you happen to have a momentary whimsical yearning for pointless argumentation.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "Aerlinn"I wish more people of faith understood that aethism isn't a denial of the existence of God, but simply a conclusion that doesn't require a mystical explanation. God has nothing to do with it. It's an entirely different set of ideas that do not require a creator to be valid. It's just a different perspective of life and the universe, everything within it, and everything else.

I wouldn't use the word denial but atheism is, by definition, based on that of theism and it therefore is (in a grammatical sense at least) a dismissal or rejection of the principal theistic claim (that there is one or more gods).

That probably means we disagree but hey ... it would be a dull place if we didn't on some things :)

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

oldschooldoc

Welcome to the forum Aerlinn. I liked your intro, it was quite informative and entertaining. Just as Recusant, I too deny the existence of gods. I don't see it as something to be ignored because it can truly f*ck with peoples' lives. I agree with you that it isn't a 'part of the equation', but that doesn't change the fact that theists and fundies will attempt to shove him down your throat.

Again, welcome to the forum. This a great place for conversation and thought provoking ideas.
OldSchoolDoc

"I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose freewill" - Neil Peart
"Imagine there's no Heaven, it's easy if you try..." - John Lennon

SallyMutant

Your intro and replies re:intro are so well written. I'll be looking forward to your posts and comments.
 As a "true crime" voyeur, I know the  Hall-Mills case was a big media deal at the time, so it must have been quite a shock to the entire community and much more to the church embroiled in it.
There's nothing wrong with ambivalence--is there?