News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

^^^
:secrets1: You don't have to answer that, billy rubin.

Let's continue with the music, yes?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

thirty six years ago i i jotted a note down on my desk blotter that i was listening to this. just found a piece of that old blotter in a desk drawer.

i haven't listened to it again until now. no idea what it sounds like.

set the function, not the mechanism.

billy rubin

billy rubin

Mr. B

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Mr. B

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

Bad Penny II

Biggus Dickus

The Fugees "Killing Me Softly With His Song". This version of the classic is so raw yet elegant at the same time, both simple and magnificent....I heard this on the radio earlier today, and I was mesmerized all over again, like hearing it again for the first time.

Lauryn Hill is so unique.

So of course I had to listen again to this, from her album, "Miseducation of Lauryn Hill". What an incredible album.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Icarus

^ Lauryn Hill has a pleasing voice. I am annoyed by the percusions  that overwhelm her voice.  That seems to be the system of choice in today's popular music. Bang - bang- bang - crash.  If not the drums it is the over volumed, three chord guitars.

Confession; I was in the high school orchestra....not the same as the high school band.  I was a mixed up kid because I was a violent  football player and also an orchestra nerd.   

As I had no talent for string instruments, woodwind, or brass, I was a percussionist, also with little or no talent.  I beat the drums, also the triangle, tympani, wood blocks, bells, and all those things.  My revered orchestra teacher was Armando Delgado.  He insisted that the percussion instruments never overwhelm the strings or reeds or softer passages of a fine piece of music. 

"Del" the  name the students lovingly called him, was a man of elegant taste and admirable grace.  He did let me do my thing in the introduction to Beethoven's fifth. ( the stirring tympani beat....dum da da dum...etc)

In his honor and my sense of nostalgia, I do not want to hear too much drum in my music of choice. A human voice is to be the feature instrument on some musical arrangements.  Not the damned drummer.   

Marching bands on the football field is a whole 'nother deal. Let those big bass drums form the cadence. 

hermes2015

Here's a challenge for you music lovers. Most of my answers corresponded to his, but not not surprisingly, because he is a composer, I had a few more incorrect ones.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on March 07, 2020, 04:19:05 AM
Lauryn Hill is so unique.
She is.  :tellmemore:

I like her, her voice and the, "Bang - bang- bang - crash" she puts in her music.  :grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant