News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent

Quote from: OldGit on July 21, 2015, 05:58:12 PM
Quote from: LarryHaven't heard that one....I was under the impression the bloke couldn't write a bad note.

It's a matter of taste, of course, but for myself I don't care for much of his stuff.  The 1812 is good fun, I suppose, in its excitable and overblown way.

In general, I prefer Prokofiev and Mussorgsky to Tchaikovsky.  But for pure joy of listening, I find Debussy, Ravel, Rhespighi, RVWilliams, Stravinsky, Rachmaninoff, Copeland and Gershwin pretty damn unbeatable.
Civilization exists by geologic consent; subject to change without notice.

-Will Durant

Larry

I dabble in the great mythologists, but return to the impressionists.

Milhaud, Massenet, Ravel, Debussy.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"
Epicurus [341-270 B.C.E.]

"And do you think that unto such as you,
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew,
God gave the Secret, and denied it me?-
Well, well, what matters it! believe that too."
Rubaiyat, R. Le Gallienne, transl.

OldGit

Quote from: KentIn general, I prefer Prokofiev and Mussorgsky to Tchaikovsky.  But for pure joy of listening, I find Debussy, Ravel, Rhespighi, RVWilliams, Stravinsky, Rachmaninoff, Copeland and Gershwin pretty damn unbeatable.

I admit there are a lot of good composers in that list, even if they were born after 1820. ;D

I'm very fond of Copland and Gershwin.  To me, Tschaikovsky is just glitter, the decoration on the xmas tree.

Larry

Enno Morricone is worth a listen, once you get beyond his well known and overplayed stuff.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

Tom62

as well as Pink Floyd's earlier works.....
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Pasta Chick

BF caught a 4:30AM satellite radio show on the cholo goth movement and we've been somewhat obsessed since.

Prayers - From Dog to God

Larry

Chopin's piano preludes...all 24of them.

Lee

Crickets.... just in my head.... my tinnitus is acting up.

Larry

Visions of Johanna - Dylan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seh3WQddqzs

and...the Schalmei...a really queer instrument from East Germany. Brass with double reed.

https://wendemuseum.wordpress.com/2008/08/21/a-sound-like-no-other-the-schalmei/

Harmonie

That instrument is so fascinating. It looks like an instrument you would see in a Dr. Seuss book, but it also looks somewhat steampunk. lol

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Larry

More young bands.... they seem to be a sort of drum & bugle pastime...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTP5xNkYQhQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uREuf0IOwyo

Here's a bit punky...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLzMCPGno98

Harmonie

That's strange, when you listen to them, it sounds like you're hearing a full marching band, complete with flutes and clarinets!

Those instruments are kind of blowing my mind. xD

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.