News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom62

Looking forward to this year's Eurovison Song Contest. The Dutch send in a party song with a surprising message at the end.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Asmodean

The Swedes may end up sending a couple of Norwegian kids. :snicker1:

The Dutch contribution seems like a fun, catchy song - sort of like what the whole thing "thrives" on. The Asmo shall not add it to the playlist, but thinks people will vote for it.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

Quote from: Asmodean on March 07, 2024, 07:27:49 AMThe Swedes may end up sending a couple of Norwegian kids. :snicker1:

The Dutch contribution seems like a fun, catchy song - sort of like what the whole thing "thrives" on. The Asmo shall not add it to the playlist, but thinks people will vote for it.

I fully agree. The song is very catchy and danceable. It reminds me of 90's techno ("gabber music") which made a comeback in the Netherlands (probably because modern "music" is even worse). Good news is that Germany sticks to their tradition of trying to reach the lowest ESC scores.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Asmodean

Something for a chillin' The Asmo. :smilenod:

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

From one of the most underrated albums of the late seventies

Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

set the function, not the mechanism.

billy rubin

The Magic Pudding..

If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Asmodean

Smooth pipes on that vocalist. :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Asmodean

Some of the best storytelling I've heard in a song (or three) in the past... Ooh, decade or two, I think.

It took Ren some songs to grow on me, but once he did... The man is in a class of his own.

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

hermes2015

Quote from: Asmodean on March 16, 2024, 05:53:34 PMSome of the best storytelling I've heard in a song (or three) in the past... Ooh, decade or two, I think.

It took Ren some songs to grow on me, but once he did... The man is in a class of his own.

You're right. he is brilliant. One can see the content and style of his delivery are direct descendants of Kurt Weill's. To show what I mean, look, at Lotte Lenya performing Weill's Pirate Jenny. That the name Jenny is in both pieces is purely coincidental!

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Asmodean

Yes, I suppose they are at that. :smilenod: Though I imagine Ren got his inspiration from multiple sources, as he starts off like a serenade, then progresses into a kind-of bardic tale, told through the music, the acting, the environment (videography), the changing points of view and the lyrics.

A versatile artist, able to utilise his versatility for compelling effect.

EDIT: Imagine Pirate Jenny with the kind of visuals Ren used - I don't mean graffiti-lined streets, but the interior and the exterior of a ship, for example - something fitting.. That would have been... Atmospherically awesome. :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

billy rubin