News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: hermes2015 on December 30, 2022, 03:18:28 AM
Quote from: Recusant on December 30, 2022, 01:58:40 AMThe intro to "Prejudice" tells it like it is.

"Sticks and stones can break your bones but words can break your heart."

Minchin is a genius.

Wow, I really liked that. I'm not familiar with his work.

He offered a solution to the Israel/Palestine problem but it was never taken up.
Probably 'cause of entrenched powers, possibly big pig as well.

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

The Magic Pudding.

The Magic Pudding.

hermes2015

Buffalo Springfield were wonderful. Neil Young, in particular, was a hero of mine.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

David Surkamp and Pavlov's Dog.

― Charles Eames

Asmodean

Poets of the Fall. Finland seems like the place to start off the new year - musically speaking.

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

hermes2015

Georg Solti recorded the complete Wagner Ring Cycle (4 operas) in a famous 1958 recording.

It has now been remastered.

I have managed to get hold of the first remastered opera, Das Rheingold, which is one of my favourite operas. The Vorspiel (Prelude) begins with eight double-basses that start off almost inaudibly on most recordings, but I was overwhelmed to almost feel them in my stomach before hearing them on this new remaster. Listening to this on my Tannoy Amesbury studio speakers with 15 inch speakers in very big cabinets is a religious experience for me. Turn up the volume before listening to this.

Tolkien denied being influenced by Wagner's Ring Cycle, but I don't think anyone believed him.

I have also been fortunate to obtain the spectacular brand new Simon Rattle recording of the Ring. I will talk about Rattle's Ring another time.
― Charles Eames

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 03, 2023, 05:29:05 AMI have managed to get hold of the first remastered opera, Das Rheingold, which is one of my favourite operas. The Vorspiel (Prelude) begins with eight double-basses that start off almost inaudibly on most recordings, but I was overwhelmed to almost feel them in my stomach before hearing them on this new remaster.

I'll never be satisfied by a mere seven double basses ever again.
How does this Youtube source compare to what you listen to on those 15" speakers?
Wifes away, I think I'll watch The Hobbit movies now.

hermes2015

Quote from: The Magic Pudding. on January 03, 2023, 06:54:05 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on January 03, 2023, 05:29:05 AMI have managed to get hold of the first remastered opera, Das Rheingold, which is one of my favourite operas. The Vorspiel (Prelude) begins with eight double-basses that start off almost inaudibly on most recordings, but I was overwhelmed to almost feel them in my stomach before hearing them on this new remaster.

I'll never be satisfied by a mere seven double basses ever again.
How does this Youtube source compare to what you listen to on those 15" speakers?
Wifes away, I think I'll watch The Hobbit movies now.

Ha, it can turn into an interesting double bass competition. Well, listening on YouTube is like listening through a keyhole to someone playing music on an iPhone. Sitting in front of reference speakers is like being present in the concert hall with the orchestra playing very loudly. Also, the quality if the amplifier is, in my opinion, almost as important as the quality of the speakers.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

I am in the mood for some classical dance performances this morning. This one is based on Palladio by Karl Jenkins.

I appreciate the art, classical music, and dance of the Indian Subcontinent as much as our Western classical music. This performance is overwhelming in its power.

― Charles Eames

Anne D.

Amazing. And the dancers are beautiful.

hermes2015

Quote from: Anne D. on January 14, 2023, 03:50:35 AMAmazing. And the dancers are beautiful.

:thumbsup2:  Yes, I must admit that's part of the enjoyment for me. The little Indian dancer in the Vitruvian Man ballet is certainly my cup of chai.
― Charles Eames