News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

what in the world is this?



ill never understand this guy



more people have been to berlin than i have

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on October 08, 2021, 04:25:50 PM
what in the world is this?



ill never understand this guy

Why, don't you like it? Ravel, Gershwin, Stravinsky, even Hindemith, were influenced by jazz in the 1920s. This is an example of the product, which I appreciate. But then, Ravel can't do anything wrong in my ears.
"Who is to say that pleasure is useless?"
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

no, its fascinating. ravel is mystery to me.

this in particular is one of those musical pieces that is just over my head. i don't have the understanding necessary to appreciate it. i can like it, but what i can bring to the listening is just rudimentary

i am totally incompetent with respect to straight-up jazz. ive been to some jazz improvs in san francisco, and i felt like a box turtle looking at the mona lisa


more people have been to berlin than i have

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on October 08, 2021, 06:06:43 PM
no, its fascinating. ravel is mystery to me.

this in particular is one of those musical pieces that is just over my head. i don't have the understanding necessary to appreciate it. i can like it, but what i can bring to the listening is just rudimentary

i am totally incompetent with respect to straight-up jazz. ive been to some jazz improvs in san francisco, and i felt like a box turtle looking at the mona lisa

I am not a great jazz fan myself. The classical composers who were influenced by jazz used its forms, but even Gershwin's jazzy pieces are not true jazz, because their compositions are rigidly notated, with very little scope for improvisation.
"Who is to say that pleasure is useless?"
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

A young virtuoso interprets Asturias by Isaac Albeniz.

"Who is to say that pleasure is useless?"
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

im sorry

i tried listening to that but became distracted by the editing of the video.

i started it over and counted 129 separate camera cuts from beginning to end, in four minutes and 11 seconds. maybe 130.

anyway, i'll put it back on and switch to a different window so i can actually listen.


more people have been to berlin than i have

Icarus

Brilliant showman who tears up a lovely piece of classical guitar music.  No matter he is a spectacular guitarist.

Papasito Bruno

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 09, 2021, 03:01:34 PM
A young virtuoso interprets Asturias by Isaac Albeniz.



Marcin is an incredible guitarist, sometimes when I hear a virtuoso like this I think to myself what is the point of me playing, and just consider throwing my guitars into our fire pit in the backyard (JK 8))

I really admire his interpretation of this song, taking the old, adding a dash of new, and then sautéing it all together with his unique style...thanks for posting Hermes :)


I love this version by Novelle Vague of the 80's hit "I Melt With You", by Modern English. (I hear the original version and I think back to myself in the 80's, with weird clothes, weirder hair, and weekends spent in the clubs)



Here's the original version.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]


I also thought I would post Dave Clarke's acoustic version of "Dream On", by Depeche Mode
This is just way too cool 8)

"Most people would rather be boring than be bored." <br />― Mokokoma Mokhonoana

No one


hermes2015

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on October 15, 2021, 05:31:19 PM
...
Marcin is an incredible guitarist, sometimes when I hear a virtuoso like this I think to myself what is the point of me playing, and just consider throwing my guitars into our fire pit in the backyard (JK 8))

I really admire his interpretation of this song, taking the old, adding a dash of new, and then sautéing it all together with his unique style...thanks for posting Hermes :)
...

I feel the same when I look at paintings by Tapies and sculptures by Paolozzi: why do I even bother to do anything myself? But that isn't the right attitude. We should look to the masters for inspiration and keep doing our own thing.

I thought you would appreciate the video. Just yesterday I was listening to guitar music by lesser-known composers and thought I should introduce them in the Exploring Music thread.
"Who is to say that pleasure is useless?"
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

"Who is to say that pleasure is useless?"
― Charles Eames

No one

They are a fantastic band. Quite unique.

Papasito Bruno

Quote from: No one on October 16, 2021, 12:29:52 PM
They are a fantastic band. Quite unique.

Said No one. :P




Just kidding (Did you get it,...I mean, said "No One"?)hahahahahahahaha, I'm so funny.

Seriously they are very cool...I really enjoyed that!!
"Most people would rather be boring than be bored." <br />― Mokokoma Mokhonoana

No one

You are so funny.


But looks aren't everything.

Magdalena


"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant