News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Obama mentioned us!

Started by Wraitchel, January 20, 2009, 06:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

QuoteGreetings from the Happy Atheist Forum, Mr. President.  We're writing you today in order to communicate our appreciation of your including the nonreligious in your inauguration speech.  While it was only the inclusion of a few words, it's a step in what we see as the right direction; a step towards equality between theists and atheists.  We look towards a future understanding that being created equal is just as true regardless of our different theories on how we were created.  We atheists have so much in common with believersâ€"to paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright, we also believe in God, only we happen to spell it Nature.

We are certainly optimistic about your presidency, and you shall have our total support every time you say or do something we agree with. We will also respectfully provide constructive dissent when we think you may be in err.

If you are able to break away from your busy schedule, we would greatly appreciate if you could visit us online.  We have been told that the forum displays well on a blackberry.

With warmest regards and, dare I say it, hope,

The Happy Atheist Forum
http://www.happyatheistforum.com/

P.S. The rest of the speech was good, too.

I bolded the parts I changed.
Me, too.

I'm feeling the sudden urge to throw in some Latin legal terms like res ipsa loquitur to show off. I must resist that urge.  :eek:
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

SSY

While this shows a step in the right direction, Obama will never post on any athiest affiliated website under his own name. Should word get out, he would lose a huge amount of voters.

A black president is a great show of equality, but I fear it will be a while before an atheist president would ever have a chance in office.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

VanReal

In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. (Kathy Norris)
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)

Whitney

Quote from: "SSY"While this shows a step in the right direction, Obama will never post on any athiest affiliated website under his own name. Should word get out, he would lose a huge amount of voters.

A black president is a great show of equality, but I fear it will be a while before an atheist president would ever have a chance in office.

Sadly, I have to agree.  I actually would not want him to post here openly due to the damage it would cause to his political career; but he could do so privately without a problem.  Mainly, it's just fun to throw in an invitation for him to visit.

I think an atheist (or at least opently agnostic) president is something I could see in my life time if the right person came along...American isn't nearly as religious as it use to be.  Plus, it's not like we haven't had agnostic/deist presidents in the past.  ;)

Whitney

In order to use the email form, we need to shorten it to 500 characters.  It cut it off at "we atheists have so..."

DennisK

What everyone fails to forget about Obama being inaugurated is that it is also a sad time.  One of the greatest presidents in this country's history has left office.  Can we all have a moment of silence to remember all the love "w" brought us?  Bye, you piece of shit!  The next time I see you I hope it's in front of an International tribunal facing war crimes. :devil:

Back to Happy Atheist mode.  It's good to be acknowledged.  I'm optimistically pessimistic, however.
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality." -Halton Arp

flickroon

I was SO happy when I heard him utter those words!
Man, I was getting a little bummed by the religious input.

curiosityandthecat

Isn't it BlackBerry?

Wouldn't want the pres to think our grammar skills are lacking.  ;)
-Curio

Will

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Isn't it BlackBerry?

Wouldn't want the pres to think our grammar skills are lacking.  :devil:
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

oldschooldoc

This is fun! I wish there were a way for all of us to sign it...
OldSchoolDoc

"I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose freewill" - Neil Peart
"Imagine there's no Heaven, it's easy if you try..." - John Lennon

SallyMutant

I was so happy that we were mentioned in the speech. Yesterday was a great day for all citizens. And I'm soooo  happy to come here today and see that many of us noticed  and enjoyed the acknowledgment :beer:
There's nothing wrong with ambivalence--is there?

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: "DennisK"Back to Happy Atheist mode.  It's good to be acknowledged.  I'm optimistically pessimistic, however.

I'm with you on this one. It was definitely nice to hear us non-believers get mentioned. However, I'm not giddy with joy, because when it comes down to it, until he proves to me otherwise, he's still just another politician. I just hope he proves me wrong, and like DennisK, I'm optimistically pessimistic.

That being said, at least he's not W. That's gotta be a step in the right direction.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

SSY

I think an agnostic/atheist president is a definite possability in the not too distant future. Thatcher after all, confidently predicted there would never be a female Prime Minister in her lifetime.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Whitney

I had to shorten it to the following (500 character limit):

QuoteWe're writing you today in order to communicate our appreciation of your including the nonreligious in your inauguration speech. While it was only the inclusion of a few words, it's a step in what we see as the right direction; a step towards equality between theists and atheists. We look towards a future understanding that being created equal is just as true regardless of our different theories on how we were created.

The Happy Atheist Forum
http://www.happyatheistforum.com/

curiosityandthecat

-Curio