News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

I really wish Creationism was taught in my school...

Started by Kevin, January 09, 2009, 02:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Even for just like next year, my Senior year.. I would love it.
I would love to hear their evidence and what they have to say, and I would love to logically refute it, as well as with what scientific stuff I can (I'm a logical person, not scientific).

Oh, it would be so great. When we learn about Evolution this year would be fun, too... I want to hear SO BAD what Christians have to say about it...

But, I do have a question about Evolution:
I know that there are quite a bit of theists that believe in God, but also Evolution.. Well, isn't it taught that Humans are God's special creation? If so, how can you believe that God put simple single-celled organisms here on Earth, that (I think) took billions of years to turn into multi-celled organisms, but that Humans are God's special creation?
The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike. - Delos B. McKown

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

curiosityandthecat

Theists say that evolution is the method through which God works.

It's a nice way of side-stepping the facts.
-Curio

Kevin

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Theists say that evolution is the method through which God works.

Oh yes. Basically accepting the evidence against what God is being taught as so they can keep believing in God.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

joeactor

Well... not all theists ;-)

Where theists get into a mental bind is when they try to define "god" or god's interactions with the natural world.

Agnostic: it's what I don't know!

IMHO, Science cannot prove or disprove god, because god is a super-natural being.  God's just not in the realm of science, period.

Where atheists get into a mental bind is when they try to define "god" or god's interactions with the natural world.

... sound familiar?

The less you know,
JoeActor

McQ

Joe got in here to make the point I was going to make, so to simply add to what he put so well, I want to say that people need to distinguish between theist, deist, spirituality, and the various shades of belief/non-belief.

Saying that theists have an issue with evolution is about as far off the mark as saying that atheists are devil-worshippers. What I believe, if I read you right, Kevin, is that certain fundamentalist christians (i.e. "young earthers", creationists, and I.D.ers) have an issue with it.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Sophus

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Theists say that evolution is the method through which God works.

This I really don't understand. God chose to create us via evolution so there would be more atheists? Apparently he wanted it to appear so improbable that he exists. Wish Titan was here.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Squid

Quote from: "Kevin"Even for just like next year, my Senior year.. I would love it.
I would love to hear their evidence and what they have to say, and I would love to logically refute it, as well as with what scientific stuff I can (I'm a logical person, not scientific).

Creationism's "evidence" (other than the bible) is based on perceived anomalies (which are usually either fabrications or easily explained by natural processes) and negative argumentation - "X exists/happened/whatever therefore modern geology is wrong and therefore the Earth is less than 10,000 years old".

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Sophus"This I really don't understand. God chose to create us via evolution so there would be more atheists? Apparently he wanted it to appear so improbable that he exists. Wish Titan was here.

Nah.. according to the theist logic being used here, there's never a question about God's involvement, so us saying evolution is a natural process with no supernatural markings whatsoever is wrong to them. For them, evolution doesn't have anything to do with atheism, and instead has everything to do with the beauty and complexity of God's creation.

It's still a load of bollocks.
-Curio

MariaEvri

Quote from: "Kevin"Even for just like next year, my Senior year.. I would love it.

the same reason I wish I could turn back time and go to religion class in highschool again :P
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Kevin

Quote from: "MariaEvri"

the same reason I wish I could turn back time and go to religion class in highschool again :(
We go over religion, like Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Christianity for like a few weeks in World Civ your Sophomore year, but that's it.

SSY

I was made to sit through religious studies class. We looked at different religons, it was somewhat interesting, and was taught in what I considered to be a non denominational way. I still would have preffered to be learning something useful though.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

VanReal

I have heard a Christian explain that God's days are not the same as human day's so when the bible says God created everything in seven days it may have been thousands of years in human terms.  So, in my mind I considered that if during his creating he was causing evolution he must have been making some serious errors during the original design.....

Public school is no place for this class, if that is to be learned it needs to happen in a religious setting, or maybe as a debate class, hehe.  

I don't think promoting evolution is a requirement of being a non-believer though, that theory is expanding and scientists are learning more and more about the earth's history.  I don't use this as an argument against religion/God as it's not necessary to believe the current theories to not believe in God.  It's just human nature to question, inquire and discover.  I am interested in how things arrived at their present but I don't associate that with my non-belief.  

Regarding the religion classes spoken of in the last few posts.  I took one years ago in college, and it was pretty interesting as it historically described the development of religion.  A bigger question would be if we can trace the path of the creation of religion by man how could intelligent design be true?
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. (Kathy Norris)
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)

Kyuuketsuki

Is it? I was rather under the impression that "facts" were a wee bit absent went it came to first life?

I mean I don't personally believe there's a god who started everything including first life and who is so mega clever it knows it would end up with us (though a god who did so would be far, far cleverer than any in standard Christian doctrine) but I can't disprove it either. Cleverer still would be a god who started the entire universe and knew it would end up with us.

I'm of the view that if there ever was a creator god it's dead now.

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]