News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

A.J. Jacobs: My year of living biblically

Started by Will, March 02, 2009, 11:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

QuoteSpeaking at the most recent EG conference, author, philosopher, prankster and journalist A.J. Jacobs talks about the year he spent living biblically -- following the rules in the Bible as literally as possible.
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/a_j_ ... cally.html

This is a brilliant video. Author (and prankster) A.J. Jacobs took an entire year of his life to live by the literal rules and dogma of the Bible; no picking and choosing, 100% devotion. About 700 rules from the 10 Commandments to the most inane and obscure. Enjoy the video!
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Chimera

I read the book he wrote on this. It wasn't quite what I expected, but an entertaining read nonetheless. I can't believe he made it a whole year adhering to all that nonsense.
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

Twiddler

Very impressive.  Its almost what like Matt Taibbi did  but I think his took less time and was more vulgar about how he approached the topics.  I like how he was very fair in his assessment too, because I think too many time people who aren't religious (myself included) jump to calling religious people crazy from the very start, which isn't always the case.  Oh, and I loved the quote from him that I have down below:

"I'm Jewish in the same way the Olive Garden is Italian"