News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Dealing with the Criminally Insane

Started by curiosityandthecat, January 11, 2009, 11:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loffler

Quote from: "VanReal"
Quote from: "Loffler"In both cases I was trying to refute a blanket statement.

What blanket statement were you trying to refute?

"I have zero sympathy for people like that. My opinion, it's too bad that he couldn't just be killed after what he did to his innocent wife and child. I don't care if it's painful or quick and peaceful for him, but he should be dead."

Respond is a better word.

VanReal

Quote from: "Loffler"
Quote from: "Loffler"In both cases I was trying to refute a blanket statement.

What blanket statement were you trying to refute?

"I have zero sympathy for people like that. My opinion, it's too bad that he couldn't just be killed after what he did to his innocent wife and child. I don't care if it's painful or quick and peaceful for him, but he should be dead."

Respond is a better word.

I thought that was where it started, and what kind of where I popped in.  That is not a blanket statment, it is an opinion and you can't refute and opinion by making a blanket statement.  You can debate an opinion with your own or with facts not necessarily in conflict with that opinion but you can't just determine someone's opinion is false:

Sample debate (A)

Pam: "I don't like bananas"
Kris: "You should like bananas"

Not really a statement that creates debate but rather a command.

Sample debate (B)

Pam: "I don't like bananas"
Kris: "Bananas are good for you, they have lots of potassium and help to avoid muscle cramps."
or
Kris: "I like bananas, they're good for you, and some people I know add them to smoothies when they don't like the taste."

The first is not something that can create a debate, it just makes the person have to justify that they don't have to like bananas, there is no link or scientific evidence to why they don't have to.

The second allows for the person to see option to the opposing opinion.  Maybe I would like them if they were mixed with something else?  Maybe the benefit of it outweighs the fact that it tastes like crap? And so on.
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. (Kathy Norris)
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)

Loffler

Like I said, and you should have read and saved yourself all that trouble, "respond is a better word."

He is entitled to his opinion. But it's a monstrous one.

In the spirit of this thread, I'm going to  give that opinion and not explain it.

VanReal

Quote from: "Loffler"Like I said, and you should have read and saved yourself all that trouble, "respond is a better word."

I did read, however respond doesn't fit either, because you said you were wanting to debate it.  Make up your minds.
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)

Loffler

Quote from: "Loffler"Like I said, and you should have read and saved yourself all that trouble, "respond is a better word."

I did read, however respond doesn't fit either, because you said you were wanting to debate it.  Make up your minds.

I do want to debate him about his opinion because it's a monstrous opinion. He lacks sympathy for some kinds of illness but not others. That's monstrous. I doubt he is a monster, so I'm operating under the hypothesis he hasn't thought his position through.

If you're suggesting it's not a matter of thinking it through because it's pure subjective opinion, then I submit to you the opinion "I have no sympathy for these despicable black people I see everywhere." It's just an opinion.

VanReal

I do want to debate him about his opinion because it's a monstrous opinion. He lacks sympathy for some kinds of illness but not others. That's monstrous. I doubt he is a monster, so I'm operating under the hypothesis he hasn't thought his position through.

If you're suggesting it's not a matter of thinking it through because it's pure subjective opinion, then I submit to you the opinion "I have no sympathy for these despicable black people I see everywhere." It's just an opinion.

I'm concerned with why you need to sympathize?  Sympathy is not synonymous with empathy or compassion.  Sympathy is closer to pity, it's not an active emotion, does not accomplish anything and isn't a necessary component to doing anything positive.  Because he doesn't sympathize with people that's monstrous?  Sympathy is a wasted emotion much like guilt, it's is not productive.  I'm going to ignore the black people opinion because that's just, well it's just....

Loffler

Quote from: "VanReal"I'm concerned with why you need to sympathize?  Sympathy is not synonymous with empathy or compassion.
Are we going to operate on the assumption that this is the definition ihate was using? He has compassion for these people but not sympathy?
QuoteSympathy is closer to pity, it's not an active emotion, does not accomplish anything and isn't a necessary component to doing anything positive.  Because he doesn't sympathize with people that's monstrous?  Sympathy is a wasted emotion much like guilt, it's is not productive.  I'm going to ignore the black people opinion because that's just, well it's just....
Irrelevant, you're right. Because we're not just dealing with naked opinions.

VanReal

Quote from: "VanReal"I'm concerned with why you need to sympathize?  Sympathy is not synonymous with empathy or compassion.
Are we going to operate on the assumption that this is the definition ihate was using? He has compassion for these people but not sympathy?
QuoteSympathy is closer to pity, it's not an active emotion, does not accomplish anything and isn't a necessary component to doing anything positive.  Because he doesn't sympathize with people that's monstrous?  Sympathy is a wasted emotion much like guilt, it's is not productive.  I'm going to ignore the black people opinion because that's just, well it's just....
Irrelevant, you're right. Because we're not just dealing with naked opinions.

Um, no.  I was strictly speaking of your need to required sympathy.  A feeling, or lack of a feeling is not a naked opinion.

I think I will put myself in time out for a bit.