News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Role Models

Started by Wraitchel, January 04, 2009, 05:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wraitchel

Okay, atheists (and other welcome wanderers), who are your role models? I got to thinking about this as I read through a few threads and found that one guy really likes Dawkin's cool rationalism and respectful manner in debate. That's great stuff to emulate.

As I drove down the road today, thinking about how cool and polite most of you are, and how hotheaded I have been lately, I decided it is time for me to find a new role model. Oddly enough, I immediately settled on our president elect. He is brilliant, well educated, polite, professional, well-spoken, cautious, cool-headed, a loving family man, a pioneer, a diplomat, an innovator, and a collaborator. I could do worse, eh? Of course, I don't need the hypergraphia, and even I dance better than he does, but nobody's perfect.

My previous role model was my grandmother, but she held me to a standard I couldn't hope to attain in this life. Jesus has been, and remains one of my role models, though I see him as a model for how to attain social justice and stand for what you believe in, rather than as a religious model. I also admire Michael Moore for  his vision and his determination to force it upon as many Americans as he can. Maybe that's where I get my hotheadedness. Moore definitely gets pissed off, though he never loses his sense of humor.

So, who are your role models?

Sophus

‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

quizlixx

everybody i meet effects me and helps me grow in some way, in that sense, everybody is my role model. from a priest to a killer.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

Asmodean

I don't really have any clear role models... The closest I can come to one is Alex Krycek from the X-Files. He worked for himself whoever he seemed to work for until the end. Ended badly for him too... No surprise... Some role model, eh?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

curiosityandthecat

Hrm... good question. I don't think I have any role models because no one is walking the same exact path as me. So, there are people that I admire, in lieu of that. A very short list.

Carl Sagan (duh)
T.E. Lawrence
Paulo Freire
Malcolm X (El Hajj Malik El Shabazz)
John Cleese
Che Guevara
Joel-Peter Witkin

S'all I can think of at this moment.
-Curio