News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Origins of the Bible and who were the apostles?

Started by seasonsofmadness, December 30, 2008, 07:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seasonsofmadness

Ok so I was raised a Christian, and I have questioned the Bible for about as long as I can remember, but lately I've been looking into it more. One thing I can't really find a good answer for is how the Bible came about (especially the new testament), and who the people in it really are (especially the apostles). I've found interesting explanations of Jesus, and the gospels, but I can't find much about who the apostles actually were, or how they could all claim to be the voice of God, and agree with each other if God doesn't exist. I'm sure this has been discussed before, and I'm sure the answer is long, so I'm hoping somebody can give me some good links or something. Thanks.

SSY

What makes you think they agree with each other to start with? The bible is chock full of contradictions.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Wechtlein Uns

Well, the old testament was written by various members of the priestly class of the newly formed "Jews" during their self-exile from either egypt of babylon. From there, various scholars added and modified it, and the new testament was written by various people who believed in jesus and wanted to leave their indelible mark on him.

note* by "scholars", I mean ignorant goat herders who aren't smart enough to piss upstream and not defacate where they sleep.
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

McQ

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will get some good links from folks here. Definitely keep asking questions, and dig for the answers. There are so many good books available on biblical authorship. Try Googling that phrase and see what comes up. I thought the book, "The Gospel Fictions" by Randel Helms wasn't too bad either. Not the best, but a decent read, and addresses your question.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Wechtlein Uns"Well, the old testament was written by various members of the priestly class of the newly formed "Jews" during their self-exile from either egypt of babylon. From there, various scholars added and modified it, and the new testament was written by various people who believed in jesus and wanted to leave their indelible mark on him.

note* by "scholars", I mean ignorant goat herders who aren't smart enough to piss upstream and not defacate where they sleep.

Basically, yeah. The New Testament was written in order to fulfill Old Testament prophesies, thereby extending power to their own group. Organized religion is all about power. Even the canon of the New Testament was a powerplay by the then-in-charge church, later by Constantine and through the Council at Nicea. Ugh, I don't want to get started.
-Curio

SSY

[quote="Wechtlein Uns"} I mean ignorant goat herders who aren't smart enough to piss upstream and not defacate where they sleep.[/quote]

Don't you mean piss downstream?
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

seasonsofmadness

Quote from: "SSY"What makes you think they agree with each other to start with? The bible is chock full of contradictions.
Ok, I'm not really sure what I meant by asking about the apostles anyway. I can't really find explanations for them, but I'm assuming that the general view is that they were basically fictional characters anyway.

Quote from: "McQ"Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will get some good links from folks here. Definitely keep asking questions, and dig for the answers. There are so many good books available on biblical authorship. Try Googling that phrase and see what comes up. I thought the book, "The Gospel Fictions" by Randel Helms wasn't too bad either. Not the best, but a decent read, and addresses your question.
Actually I googled "biblical authorship," and it didn't bring up much besides christian sites...

dr.zalost

OP:
QuoteActually I googled "biblical authorship," and it didn't bring up much besides christian sites...

The following site doesn't answer your questions precisely. It also has the disadvantage of being set up to sell a book. There is a good write up on Paul and some other biblical authorship issues however.

http://jesusneverexisted.com/index.html

spartacus

can i point you in the direction of certain names
1-ahkenaten, in relation to the ten commandments and monotheism
2- horus, mithras, and jesus and look at the timelines that belief in them began

try and look beyond the old and new testaments and  and look at the melting pot of religious ideas that the middle east was. then form your own conclusions

DennisK

I like the theories discussed on this thread: http://www.happyatheistforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2344 and shown in the linked video.  In it talks about the relationship of the apostles to the zodiac.  Whether true or not, it makes you think.
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality." -Halton Arp

Recusant

Most of the books of the New Testament were written many years after the events they purportedly depict.  There is some question as to the actual authors, but it's generally agreed that they were for the most part not the person who's name is on the book, and often there was more than one author for any particular book.  It was a fairly common practice back then to write something and attribute it to some prominent figure, to give it more authority.  
I don't know that any of them claimed to be the 'voice of God;' (except maybe Paul, he seemed to have a very high opinion of himself as an authority on what God wanted) that is something that churches did when they decided on which books would be included in the Bible, thus making them 'Holy Writ.'  I've read the bible a couple of times, but I'm certainly no bible scholar. ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

seasonsofmadness

Quote from: "dr.zalost"The following site doesn't answer your questions precisely. It also has the disadvantage of being set up to sell a book. There is a good write up on Paul and some other biblical authorship issues however.

http://jesusneverexisted.com/index.html
Thanks. That site has a lot of really interesting material. It's gonna take me a while to go through all that...
Quote from: "Recusant"I don't know that any of them claimed to be the 'voice of God;' (except maybe Paul, he seemed to have a very high opinion of himself as an authority on what God wanted) that is something that churches did when they decided on which books would be included in the Bible, thus making them 'Holy Writ.'  I've read the bible a couple of times, but I'm certainly no bible scholar. ;)
Yeah I guess you're right that they don't all directly claim to be the voice of God. I was just always taught that all of the Biblical authors were told what to write by God himself.

Thanks for all the responses guys.