News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Hitchens/Dawkins. Opinons? Complaints?

Started by 4DeepThought2, January 02, 2009, 08:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4DeepThought2

I admire Hitchens for his wit and blunt display of the facts when in debate. Hitchens, in my opinion, is the possibly the best atheist debatee because he uses a non-scientific approach' while he may call upon science occasionally, his strength is the morality and social consequences of religion. My favorite argument against Christianity of Hitch is this:

"And for a minimum of ninety-five thousand years, heaven watches this with folded arms! Stony, lofty indifference attends the striving and the suffering and the agonising deaths of infants and innocents, to say nothing of the sadistic and genocidal violence and the worship of bogus shrines and false gods. And then, at long last, after nine thousand and five hundred decades or so (in instant in evolutionary time, to be sure, but quite a long time for frightened mammals), it is decided that heaven must intervene. By direct revelation. But only in certain illiterate and backward parts of the Middle East. As I say, you may choose to believe this if you so desire, but that is what you must now believe. Until an amazingly recent date, science would not have compelled you to face the absurd consequences of your faith in quite this way."- http://ukskeptic.livejournal.com/273538.html (Excerpt of Christopher Hitchens' foreword in the book God: The Failed Hypothesis by Victor Stenger.)

Dawkins, on the other hand is scientifically literate and very articulate; more so than Hitchens. But in effectivness of arguments Hitchens has wowed me over and over again with his unapologetic approach towards opponents. Many may say that Hitchens is nothing more than a insult throwing embarrassment to atheism (heard this in comments on videos/articles and such), but I believe he is a wonderful writer and public speaker. Opinions of Hitchens and/or Dawkins?
"It may be that our role on this planet is not to worship God, but to create him." - Arthur C. Clarke

SSY

The thing that I think sets hitchens apart from most other debaters or prominent atheists is his ability to drink and smoke. If I tried to be that unhealthy I would fall over dead within a week.

Almost makes you think someone/something is looking out for him . . . . spooky
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Whitney

I'm really not that familiar with Hitchens.  I don't read very much pro atheist stuff anymore; other than what happens to be posted on the forum.  In my opinion, there is only so much to say about there not being a reason to believe in God and they (people who write atheist material) tend to say the same thing differently.  Different ways of saying the same thing is great if you are trying to reach those that don't agree with you; but, already being in agreement, it gets a bit old.

DennisK

I enjoy Hitchens and Dawkins very much.  They both are extremely intelligent and effective in all debates I've seen.  While I love Hitchens for his jugular aim, I'm sure he is hated by most from the other side of the fence.  He may even ward off the fence sitters as well because of his perceived arrogance.
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality." -Halton Arp

Sophus

Dawkins is wonderful and I can relate to him. I actually realized after I converted over to atheism that he and I had many of the same reasons for leaving Christianity.

I don't know much about Hitchens but from what I have seen of him.... he's not as good in debate as Dawkins because of style. Dawkins is more likely to persuade since he presents well supported theories and is polite (mostly) to his opponent. Hitchens, as true as what he says may be, is a bit obnoxious and simply seems like an idol for atheists. You either agree with him or you don't, he's not going to change any minds. Again this is only my opinion formed on the little of Hitchens I've actually seen. I could be wrong.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

4DeepThought2

Quote from: "Sophus"Dawkins is wonderful and I can relate to him. I actually realized after I converted over to atheism that he and I had many of the same reasons for leaving Christianity.

I don't know much about Hitchens but from what I have seen of him.... he's not as good in debate as Dawkins because of style. Dawkins is more likely to persuade since he presents well supported theories and is polite (mostly) to his opponent. Hitchens, as true as what he says may be, is a bit obnoxious and simply seems like an idol for atheists. You either agree with him or you don't, he's not going to change any minds. Again this is only my opinion formed on the little of Hitchens I've actually seen. I could be wrong.
"It may be that our role on this planet is not to worship God, but to create him." - Arthur C. Clarke