News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Has anything made you question your non-belief?

Started by 4DeepThought2, January 02, 2009, 07:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GodlessInND

Quote from: "Wraitchel"The biggest threat to my lack of faith is the death of loved ones. I really wish I could believe that I'll see them again. I lost my mother two and a half years ago, and it sucked. I hate to think of losing any of my kids, or of them someday losing me, permanently. It is almost unbearable to think of. Despite that wish, I just cannot wrap my brain around the internal inconsistencies of religious dogma.
I'm with you, Wraitchel.  It would be nice to be able to fool myself into believing that "they're in a better place" and that I'll join them somewhere in the universe when I die.  But I'm just not equipped for that.

Ryytikki

my friends main argument for getting preachers to shut up is 'so why would i want to go to heaven if i have to put up with people like you for all eternity?', it works a treat  :D
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Cemetery

Nothing has made me question my rationality. In fact, once the veil was lifted, I haven't looked back because the lies had been discovered.

~C

Moigle

The chance that I might one day believe in God is about the same that you will one day believe in the Tooth Fairy.

reynolds

Should be a lot of questions, in fact there are just go to wwgha, they got a lot of questions and then when you try to give them answers, they think your trolling or spaging, whatever that means. They don't even want to listen to what might be some ansewers with a little openmindedness. Seems to me there are a lot more questions for an atheist than for a theist.
I have quit asking the big "why" questions all the time. Mostly because I had the feeling it was not getting me anywhere, doesn't mean I don't still question, it's in our nature. But all the biggies I don't personally think we'll ever have the answers to.

Recusant

Quote from: "reynolds"...they think your(sic) trolling or spaging, whatever that means.

I think that "spaging" would more properly be spelled "spagging," as in what a spagger would do.  They are insulting you, I believe.

Quote from: "reynolds"Seems to me there are a lot more questions for an atheist than for a theist.

I agree.  While it's a generalization, and therefor not entirely accurate, it seems obvious that the average atheist is willing to entertain, and must confront many more questions in life than the average theist, who after all has most of the important questions answered for them by the dogma of their religion.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "reynolds"Seems to me there are a lot more questions for an atheist than for a theist.

Yep. And that's fine by me.

Quote from: "Charles Bukowski"For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can’t readily accept the God formula, the big answers don’t remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command or faith a dictum. I am my own God. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
-Curio

Kevin

Not really. I like to compare my beliefs to things I hear on TV, or read, or watch, but I never really question my beliefs.

I guess the only time(s) I really did was when I was turning more towards agnostic/atheism, but not really since then.
The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike. - Delos B. McKown

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha