News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Improbable vs Impossible, and a generic rant

Started by blockandtackle, March 04, 2009, 02:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blockandtackle

Why is it that when "god" answers prayers, he only manages to achieve the improbable, but never the impossible?

For instance, he never corrects unalterable conditions like a severed spinal cord, or severe mental disability.  Again, the word I used is NEVER.  Not one documented time.  Out of all the countless people who have probably prayed for this kind of salvation, god never comes through for them.

Why doesn't that strike Christians as odd?

I want to be a tolerant, open-minded person, but I struggle because the more I think about it, the more I believe that people who follow organized religions must have some sort of mental deficiency.  I'm not trying to be mean - I really feel this way at times.  I just don't know how else these people come to believe in outlandish stories that rival things you would read in a tabloid magazine.

This world is never going to be a better place if we continue to rely on superstition and supernatural powers instead of using our own logic and reason.

LARA

Yep.  It's been brought up before about the mental deficiency.  But the funny thing is, I know people who are quite bright and still believe or attend church.  I think it really depends on the individual and the denomination.  Some people are taken in hook line and sinker (sorry your screen name has me thinking fishing metaphors) and there are enough bits and pieces of religious memes constantly floating around to seem to make it significant.  I don't know how to describe it.  When I was briefly Christian (Southern Baptist) these ideas were repeated over and over, like brainwashing almost.  Then you encounter them in day to day life and they pop up in your head almost like post-hypnotic suggestion.

It requires some sort of compartmentalization of belief, some sort of obsequious fear of authority to take full affect.

I don't think religious people are mentally deficient at all, I think religion makes people mentally deficient.  It hijacks your executive function, puts you psychologically under a dominant authority figure, if you let it.  Religious authorities have a knack for exploiting our psychology, playing on our deepest fears, hopes and dreams.  They are con artists with centuries of art, poetry and history to help convince you of their authority.  Some of them use it for positive causes sure, but it's just as easily exploited for evil.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: "LARA"I don't think religious people are mentally deficient at all, I think religion makes people mentally deficient.  It hijacks your executive function, puts you psychologically under a dominant authority figure, if you let it.  Religious authorities have a knack for exploiting our psychology, playing on our deepest fears, hopes and dreams.  They are con artists with centuries of art, poetry and history to help convince you of their authority.  Some of them use it for positive causes sure, but it's just as easily exploited for evil.

When you put it that way, religion sure does sound like a cult, doesn't it?
I agree with your assessment here, LARA.

Quote from: "LARA"But the funny thing is, I know people who are quite bright and still believe or attend church.

I do as well. In fact, my grandfather who is one of the smartest people I know, is a catholic priest. I still to this day do not understand that one. A man with such a high intelligence level knowingly deluding his mind like that just makes no sense to me. It makes me so sad because I do not feel as though I am his family, instead I feel as if his "flock" is his true family.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

VanReal

I heard one answer to a very similar question from a believer and they said "No is also an answer".  So, maybe god is answering there prayers but the answer is no.

Geepers, they can really come up with answers in a pinch.
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. (Kathy Norris)
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)

Kevin

Don't forget how there is also a reason for when God doesn't answer prayers, like the person above me said. Though the reason why he didn't is that "He" has a reason why he didn't.

Quote from: "blockandtackle"I just don't know how else these people come to believe in outlandish stories that rival things you would read in a tabloid magazine.

Fear is why.
The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike. - Delos B. McKown

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha