News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Has anything made you question your non-belief?

Started by 4DeepThought2, January 02, 2009, 07:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4DeepThought2

I remember hearing this question, stop me if it has already been asked here;

Has anything made you question non-belief/atheism/agnosticism position?

Personally I faltered during Christmas, but realized I was just feeling odd/alone without God during the holiday.
"It may be that our role on this planet is not to worship God, but to create him." - Arthur C. Clarke

curiosityandthecat

-Curio

SSY

Not that I can remember, I have never seen anything and thought, "You know what, that really looks like god is the most likley cause of that"
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Whitney

Not since I quit referring to myself as agnostic.  No one has said anything new or offered any reliable evidence that would give me a reason to question my viewpoint.  I'm convinced that god either doesn't exist or doesn't want us to know it exists otherwise it would have made itself known in a real way.

Squid

I question myself all the time, but that's probably more just my nature I suppose.

Will

No evidence exists for the supernatural, therefore there was nothing to ever test me. If there was some verifiable evidence for something supernatural, which defied any rational, scientific explanation, the best explanation would still be a natural one. There's plenty of science yet to be discovered.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Whitney

Quote from: "Squid"I question myself all the time, but that's probably more just my nature I suppose.

I try to; because I really do think it is important to examine my own views critically.  For some reason I can't get very far with questioning my stance on god.  I hope I'm not turning into the atheist version of a fundie.  :crazy:   Well, I'd probably have to worry more about being called a hard fence sitting agnostic since some militant strong atheists don't even think I am an atheist due to my being willing to admit that a deist sort of god could exist and we'd never know.

Wraitchel

The biggest threat to my lack of faith is the death of loved ones. I really wish I could believe that I'll see them again. I lost my mother two and a half years ago, and it sucked. I hate to think of losing any of my kids, or of them someday losing me, permanently. It is almost unbearable to think of. Despite that wish, I just cannot wrap my brain around the internal inconsistencies of religious dogma.

thirteen31

I agree with the inconsistencies of religious dogmas - that's why it should be left up to the individual and their own beliefs.

Nothing will ever be able to question my 'non-belief'. I survived two near-death experiences and I did not question it at all. My faith is in me - I say that at the risk of being egocentric. But I assure you it has everything to do with a new appreciation of life and learning to live life in the present moment and not to live life just in spite of it.  :)

MariaEvri

God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Recusant

I have had a few experiences which could be called 'numinous.'  For some, that might be proof enough of a deity, but for me, they only convinced me that we are the universe experiencing itself, which is quite magical enough, in my opinion.  No need for any supernatural beings of any kind: nature, and our presence here, is sufficiently awesome. :banna:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sophus

If a new argument is presented (which is a rare find among cliche loving theists) then I enter with an open mind. The outcome always leads me to atheism though.

Perhaps the idea that maybe god does exist and he's just a mean bully screwin' with us could make one unsure.  ;)  "Let's program the universe so that to the logic of an intelligent human mind I couldn't possibly exist but then give them all a shocker in the end."
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

4DeepThought2

I agree with those of who you who say there is no evidence for that of religous dogma; therefore excluding the possibility of you not being a theist. I do not completely rule out the possibility of a deity (not neccessarily divine but a creator). The wonder that inspires me when looking at the beauty involved in this life has made me falter and consider an imperfect deity.

My love of the complexity and wonder and lovliness of our existence,  of our universe, has much to do with design which, if considering an all powerful designer, is completely bunk. It is a terrible design, in fact if one has a rudimentary understanding of astronomy it is impossible to say that a designer, if he exists, is perfect. Failed solar systems. Super Novas. The fate "God's" Earth faces when the sun explodes before it withers. The chaos involved with the stars and the planets begs for an imperfect design which extinguishes my wishful thinking of a deity with us in mind. As imperfect a universe we live in, it does not fail in being absolutely extrodinary.

Of course we have Evolution by Natural Selection to explain the complexity of life, but even with processes like these the human being cannot but stand in awe and wonder wether something is behind it. I believe that because we are so ignorant in our understanding of how things came about in the beginning and before beginning we want to assert a creator; I believe that until we have satisfactory knowledge (which is nothing more than a possibility of gaining it) of our our cosmic origins we will always have the impulse to assert a creator or, if you will, a god. Perhaps we are created by a deity, I think not, perhaps we are a sub universe that found energy from neighboring realities and universes, we are too basic in our understanding to rule out possibility but too understanding to affirm such beliefs. I feel rantish for jumping too many topics when I really just wanted to transfer my falters in believing in no possibility of a creator....one main misconception of atheists is that we rule out any possibility of a creator, when we just feel that our knowledge of the universe are to basic to acknowledge one. It is better to accept no theory than a bad one.
"It may be that our role on this planet is not to worship God, but to create him." - Arthur C. Clarke

brekfustuvluzerz

when i saw that messenger was banned from the forum, i thought for a second that there could be a god.
"(insert favorite carl sagan quote here)" - Carl Sagan

VanReal

Quote from: "Wraitchel"The biggest threat to my lack of faith is the death of loved ones. I really wish I could believe that I'll see them again. I lost my mother two and a half years ago, and it sucked. I hate to think of losing any of my kids, or of them someday losing me, permanently. It is almost unbearable to think of. Despite that wish, I just cannot wrap my brain around the internal inconsistencies of religious dogma.

I can see how that could be an issue, or trying time.  I think that is part of the wish fulfillment hole that religion helps to fill.  I can speak from experience on losing a child, and it only strengthened my non-belief but it sure would be nice to be able to think of it as a good thing "she's gone off to be with God floating around being cared for" but in reality I deal with the fact that she's gone, and it hurts, and it's really just my memory of her that continues.  It never makes me want to dig into my imagination and pull out a fairy tale of ever seeing her again though, it just never occurs to me as feasible.  Makes me feel like a cold person sometimes, no warm and fuzzy delusion to wrap around myself.
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. (Kathy Norris)
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)