News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Where does an Atheist get there morals?

Started by Brock, January 01, 2009, 04:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ewomack

Morality seems to predate religions. Religion also seems to build on a purely human moral, the details of which likely relate to collective survival. By the time the Bible came along, humans were already settling in cities and towns. For that to happen without major collapse, humans had to have what we would now call a moral sense. The Bible also isn't the first historical text to talk about morality. It was FAR from the first book that dealt with morality. Morality does not need to integrate with a text. Morality is part of our lives, which is why some seem to follow it better than others.
Ed Womack
Get Milked

BadPoison

There is a multitude of biological and evolutionary reasons humans as a whole have a moral and ethic code. While the individuals can't be judged against the population, populations can be judged against each other. You'll find, that characteristics such as empathy, and community help in a group's survival. This is an evolved trait through natural selection of societies. This isn't only true in humans, you can see this in any social type of animal (lions, chimpanzees, dolphins, whales, ect.)

Sophus

I don't. I'm evil of course, just like every other atheist.  :lol:
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "Brock"I have Discussed this with an Atheist friend of mine and would like to here other views. I have made the argument that Atheist lack a since of moral code because they have no after consequence. so were do they get there moral code and understanding. There Religious parents? if that’s the case than the Atheist morals are spread from that of there religious parents and are shaped by the Ideas that they no longer acknowledge. I mean no offense by this question i would just like better understanding on the issue.

The problem with your question is that it relies on the assumption that there is an ultimate arbiter for morality and not only does a consistent morality not exist but there is no evidence for the arbiter.

In essence you need to justify why we must answer the question (especially since a brief trawl through the forum will reveal many, myself included, have answered the same to other theists many, many times).

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

Sophus

Sorry but this is a pet peeve: It's their not there.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

oldschooldoc

Quote from: "Sophus"Sorry but this is a pet peeve: It's their not there.

Thank you Sophus! I was about to post the same comment...now I can just praise you for doing it  :D.

On the issue of morals, I believe there have been many good answers already. I especially agree with Kyu in that you mustn't assume that in order for morals to exist there must be an ultimate arbiter. I do the "right" thing (not always the same in every culture) for the good of my fellow humans, not to appeal to some guy/gal in the sky.
OldSchoolDoc

"I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose freewill" - Neil Peart
"Imagine there's no Heaven, it's easy if you try..." - John Lennon

Lark

From their own conscience , From an inbuilt sense of what is right and what is wrong. Absolutely nothing to do with any religion.

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

MariaEvri

was gonna say that but I was scared people would see me as bitchy :P
thanks
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "MariaEvri"

was gonna say that but I was scared people would see me as bitchy :P
thanks

Not at all. Every time I see this thread title my left eye twitches. I just didn't say anything because I assumed someone else did. I was right.

Still: wtf.
-Curio

bowmore

Your absolutely write.  :P
"Rational arguments don’t usually work on religious people. Otherwise there would be no religious people."

House M.D.

Rastelin

Actually we atheist get our morals from a dark god whose name should not be spoken, and these morals are written in the blood of kittens which…

No really :lol:  Simple human decency… No god, no rule, no dogma, no fear of hell, no celestial bullying. Just us being plain human and with it act like a human. It’s not so hard to understand once you accept the fact that the responsibility for your action is on you and not in the hands of some space daddy.
A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
-- Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

VanReal

This is actually a legitimate question and I am sure one that people of many religions have as they feel their behavior and morals come directly from their teachings.  It makes perfect sense because when raising children in religion you are indeed issuing them commands of acceptable moral behavior based on the teachings of your religions rules.  You can find the "Golden Rule" as it's referred to in Christianity in nearly all religions.  

Those of us that were not raised in non-belieiving households were probably exposed to these religious codes or rules from a very early age, so saying that some of our thought is not derived from those teachings is naiive.  However, many religions condone activity that persons outside of that particular religon would deem to be inately wrong and immoral.  So, to say morals come from religion is also naiive.

Morals and values come from people having to live together in some fashion that remains as civil as possible.  However, there are many morals and values that people have that would not be a part of this "social contract" as others have referred to.  It is morally acceptable in Texas society, for example, to kill an intruder in your home.  However, I would prefer to maim them or disable them so they couldn't cause me harm rather than to kill them.  Under our social contract I would be morally right in killing in this instance, personally I would not do so as I don't feel it moral to kill someone for burglary.  My point being I obtain my morals from many sources, and I reject the morals accepted from many sources.
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. (Kathy Norris)
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)

Tom62

Quote from: "VanReal"It is morally acceptable in Texas society, for example, to kill an intruder in your home.
Wow, if 'd kill an intruder in my house then I would spent many years in jail for manslaughter. I always thought that Texas was  "Christian" state, where they obey the biblical commandments. Wasn't "Thou shall not kill"  one of these commandments?
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Tom62"
Quote from: "VanReal"It is morally acceptable in Texas society, for example, to kill an intruder in your home.
Wow, if 'd kill an intruder in my house then I would spent many years in jail for manslaughter. I always thought that Texas was  "Christian" state, where they obey the biblical commandments. Wasn't "Thou shall not kill"  one of these commandments?

For a second, it almost sounded like you think Christian morality, responsibility and actions are... logical and consistent!  ;)
-Curio