News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

70% of religious people aren't assholes

Started by LARA, December 28, 2008, 09:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARA

This article cheered me up a bit.  I've been a bit cranky lately so it was nice to read an op ed that cited a Pew poll stating results that about 70% of Americans believe their religion isn't the only way.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/27/opini ... ow.html?em

The comment section is pretty good too.  The comments at the NY times usually are.  There are a few mean fundies in there, but mostly a lot of good points.

Kinda gave me the warm fuzzies, even if I really don't put a lot of stock in the after life sort of thing.  Living in an area where many people are really, really right wing religious takes it's toll on me sometimes, so it's nice to read about the real world.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

SSY

I can't see how you can reconcile your religon not being the only way, with your religon being right.

Surely, god is either real or he is not? i can't see how he could at once be the abrahamic god, and also vishnu and shiva at the same time. Wouldn't this imply he was lying to at least one culture? why the different interpretations? Would these people take zeus et al seriously?

It seems to me that 70% of religious people don't quite have total conviction in their beleifs.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Sophus

Aren't most people in the US only "moderatly religious?" That's probably why they aren't jerks.  ;)

I don't think believing your religion is the only way makes you a jerk. I grew up in a very civilized form of Christianity that believed Jesus was the only way. It's how you go about preaching your religion.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Wechtlein Uns

in unrelated news, a new study done by yougottabekiddingme.org, revealed that 70% of people are[/i] assholes. What a shock!  :shock:
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

LARA

Yeah but which 70%?  and when?

Or are we all just 70% Asshole plus 30% AYU  (as yet undefined)?
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

Wechtlein Uns

We'll, 70% of people are made of water, right? Maybe water is the key to assholeness! yeah, that's gotta be it. That means the 100% of people are 70% asshole! No wonder atheists get cottonmouth! un-be-LIEVE-able! :|
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.