News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Do we make leaps of faith too?

Started by DennisK, December 17, 2008, 07:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanReal

Personally I don't find the need to believe in anything enough to take it at it's face value, and don't really find myself asking questions unless something occurs that makes me think I am wrong or what I originally thought was invalid.  Mostly I go with the flow and look around at other people and wonder to myself, "how in the world could they be so stupid"?  So I guess I have faith in something, I have faith that people are fallable and that no one person is right about everything or truly KNOWS anything.  Outside of 1 + 1 = 2 and the fact that I had sex to produce a child (two things I can say I am sure about) I pretty much am open for new information flow to add to my "knowledge bank".  

As far as the entire argument about atheists not questioning what they think they know based on science, I don't understand how a person can tell another person that questioning that is absurd and makes no sense.  I myself am not an atheist because of science, what science provides in information does not affect my non-belief.  I don't believe because believing in itself seems unreasonable and ridiculous.  The fact that science works in favor of my non-belief is just gravy, and intersting.  I don't think we should put requirements of thought on how others think and how others mull around those thoughts with regard to anything. Some people obtain feelings and beliefs (or non-belief) based on information they obtain and what makes the most sense to them.  Who knows who is right.  There's no harm in people questioning themselves, that's what creates change and the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. (Kathy Norris)
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)

Loffler

Quote from: "DennisK"I've been thinking a lot about this lately.  As atheists, do we make assumptions about science or our areas of expertise?  I'm not trying to give fuel to the enemy by any means.  It's more a reflection of my own self exploration.  I make assumptions according to what fits my own views.  

Think about it and be honest.  Doesn't everyone make broad assumptions based on our own current universe?  Especially when you go outside your comfort zone.  As a society, we are very compartmentalized in our lives.  We can't investigate all possibilities, so you have to make assumptions.  I'm not saying any facet of science is not verifiable, but do most of us truly understand the intricacies of science?  One of the hardest things one has to do as a human is admit you are wrong.

No. We make unconscious assumptions, not leaps of faith. The difference is when we find them, we try to eliminate them from our thinking.

Tom62

I fully agree with VanReal. My switch from being a catholic to atheist had nothing to do with my thoughts and opinions about science, but with the absurdities that I found in the Christian belief system. Science has never been my "God", nor math, nor Darwin, nor the Big Bang, etc. We've been constantly pushed by Christians to provide these answers from a scientific point of view, instead of an atheist point of view. These discussion with Christians about the origins of life, the creation of the universe, etc. for  example,  are nothing more than a futile attempt from them to prove that science is wrong. Even if science is wrong on some points or doesn't know all the answers then this doesn't prove that atheism is wrong. It is OK for an atheist to say that he doesn't know the answer to Life, Universe and Everything (I believe it is 42, but that is another story), but if a Christian would say that the answer is God then he should prove me it (which of course is impossible). End of discussion.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein