News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Preachers Son Turned Atheist in DC Area (Maryland)

Started by keith2004, December 08, 2008, 01:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith2004

Hello Everyone,

Keith Here, Washington DC area (Maryland)

Joined a few months ago, but never got around to setting up my account, Was just browsing around the net for a site with like minded individuals. People who live a life free of Religious Dogma. In a country obsessed with religion this is not always easy to find.

I was born and raised in a Seventh Day Adventist family. My father a Pastor in this particular protestant derivative. I attended school from Pre-School to College within their education system so I have had more than my fair share of indoctrination, and what I see as brain washing (especially for children), but I was able to break away.

The way I think, it is generally difficult to sign on to any idea or without their being some real logic attached to it so for years i struggled with a-lot of the teachings. About a year ago i started reading various atheist literature (Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris ect.) and I slowly began to detach myself from the old ideas and dogma that held me all my life. I have come full circle and feel free the Supernatural and superstitions of Religion.

I post here because, well I only know 2 Atheist and I really need to expand my circle and talk to people with similar views more often. As I was raised in this Religion and I am still young, most of my friends are very religious...i come here to communicate with people with open minds, clear of Religious obstructions.
[size=150] Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. - Anonymous[/size]

curiosityandthecat

Well, I think you've found exactly what you're looking for.  :hail:
-Curio

Kyuuketsuki

James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

keith2004

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Well, I think you've found exactly what you're looking for.  :hail:

Thanks, :)  I do love the Simpsons
[size=150] Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. - Anonymous[/size]

rlrose328

**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

McQ

Quote from: "keith2004"Hello Everyone,

Keith Here, Washington DC area (Maryland)

Joined a few months ago, but never got around to setting up my account, Was just browsing around the net for a site with like minded individuals. People who live a life free of Religious Dogma. In a country obsessed with religion this is not always easy to find.

I was born and raised in a Seventh Day Adventist family. My father a Pastor in this particular protestant derivative. I attended school from Pre-School to College within their education system so I have had more than my fair share of indoctrination, and what I see as brain washing (especially for children), but I was able to break away.

The way I think, it is generally difficult to sign on to any idea or without their being some real logic attached to it so for years i struggled with a-lot of the teachings. About a year ago i started reading various atheist literature (Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris ect.) and I slowly began to detach myself from the old ideas and dogma that held me all my life. I have come full circle and feel free the Supernatural and superstitions of Religion.

I post here because, well I only know 2 Atheist and I really need to expand my circle and talk to people with similar views more often. As I was raised in this Religion and I am still young, most of my friends are very religious...i come here to communicate with people with open minds, clear of Religious obstructions.

Welcome to the forum, Keith. Thanks for the background info. Seventh Day Adventist = Scary-to-me type of sect! I had friends from way back in the church, and I always felt they were like a cult.

Glad you got free from that dogmatic sect and joined the world of the rational!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Wechtlein Uns

I'm going to ZAP you.
...*zap*

you now offically rocking out.  :blush:  Welcome to happy atheist forums, dude.
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

Whitney

I attended (even lead the youth group's song time) a seventh day adventist church with this guy I was dating in high school for about a year...it was, well...interesting (to say it nicely).

I'm glad you were able to break free and welcome to the forum.

keith2004

keith2004

Quote from: "McQ"Welcome to the forum, Keith. Thanks for the background info. Seventh Day Adventist = Scary-to-me type of sect! I had friends from way back in the church, and I always felt they were like a cult.

Glad you got free from that dogmatic sect and joined the world of the rational!

Thanks, and yea, you have no idea, It is refreshing to step away, and it is when you step away I realize how out of the mainstream and irrational a-lot of the things they do is. Its not your average Christian denomination, and even within it it has its own divisions and sects almost.