News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Trolling 101

Started by curiosityandthecat, December 12, 2008, 03:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"I appreciate you saying I'll have to try harder...thank you.  That's encouraging.  But the fact of the matter is the concensus on this forum is that the basic way of spotting a troll = outlandish, therefore anyone of opposing belief is a troll...hence AD is a troll.

It's no skulk, it seems it is my only position given these facts.
Quote from: "Wikipedia"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.
I don't see how you're fulfilling these criteria.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"I don't see how you're fulfilling these criteria.
Thanks, LegendarySandwich, again, encouraging.

However, based on the quote from my initial post here, it's the only conclusion on anyone opposing the basics of this forum or any forum's majority for that matter.  There are other criteria, however, this basic point/belief allows any Atheist to say to another with opposing/outlandish views, "You are a troll!" and be correct is saying so with no real reason to say he/she is wrong.

Man, I love knowing how to link to posts now...

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"
Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"I don't see how you're fulfilling these criteria.

However, based on the quote from my initial post here, it's the only conclusion on anyone opposing the basics of this forum or any forum's majority for that matter.  There are other criteria, however, this basic point/belief allows any Atheist to say to another with opposing/outlandish views, "You are a troll!" and be correct is saying so with no real reason to say he/she is wrong.

curiosityandthecat does not represent the view of the HAF community. I disagree with him.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"
Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"

curiosityandthecat does not represent the view of the HAF community. I disagree with him.
I've not read EVERY single post, but suffice to say, I see a lot of  :headbang: and 12 or so pages of posts and not one disagreement (again, that I've seen...I'll now go through each post).  You are the first that has said so to my knowledge as part of the HAF "community" (only that you are in more agreement with the forum's purpose).

Edit:  I stand corrected.  Here's one,
not so blatently against, but could be construed as such.  And another.  Ok, well, there are a few that don't feel the same, but the point I think still remains as this is a sticky and so seems to be the concensus.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"I've not read EVERY single post, but suffice to say, I see a lot of  :headbang: and 12 or so pages of posts and not one disagreement (again, that I've seen...I'll now go through each post).  You are the first that has said so to my knowledge as part of the HAF "community" (only that you are in more agreement with the forum's purpose).
I agree with most of his original post, just not the sentence where he says that people with outlandish views are very likely to be trolls.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"I agree with most of his original post, just not the sentence where he says that people with outlandish views are very likely to be trolls.
Yes, I got that.  I didn't mean to imply you disagree with his whole post.  :)

Recusant

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"According to Wiki:
I have raised controversial points/ideas
I have inflammed some against me in regard to those points/beliefs/ideas
OK, but if you posted "with the intention of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion," then you've been much too subtle. (Though as I said, your Christmas thread work showed some promise.)   :P  Subtlety is a very poor modus operandi for the effective internet troll.

It's really intention which defines a troll, in my opinion.  If your intent in posting here is trollish, then you should work on your technique, because you've obviously failed to convince many (if any) of the members here that you're a troll.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "Recusant"
Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"According to Wiki:
I have raised controversial points/ideas
I have inflammed some against me in regard to those points/beliefs/ideas
OK, but if you posted "with the intention of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion," then you've been much too subtle. (Though as I said, your Christmas thread work showed some promise.)   :evil:  Now my true work begins.  JK.

Ok.

JoeBobSmith

:)
JoeBobSmith

Thumpalumpacus

I have more than a touch of the troll to me.  I don't really practice it here, out of respect for a fine forum.  I also think that trolls can be useful, insofar as they use unconventional tactics to skewer conventional assumptions.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

JoeBobSmith

:)
JoeBobSmith

Yuffie

I've seen tons of trolls on yahoo answers and admittedly I troll there once in a while myself... but other than that I don't do trolling.  :eek:

But yeah, I can handle obvious trolls. Will have to watch out for the not so obvious ones, though. >.<

ForTheLoveOfAll

Trolls exist for the sake of that warm fuzzy feeling of beliving that they've made a total stranger so mad that they broke their own keyboard.

A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

Illbethewriter

This post makes me feel really paranoid! I feel like everyone's suspicious of me being a troll because I'm new!
Thanks for the clarity though; I've always wondered exactly what a troll is!
Although I've always liked trolls - when my Grandma used to read me the 'Three Billy Goats Gruff' I used to shut the book because I didn't want the troll to die!
"On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives [...] on a mote of dust suspended on a sunbeam." - Carl Sagan

Whitney

Illbethe...don't worry about it, you've posted enough on topic posts that no one should think you are trolling.