News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

In a bad spot

Started by NearBr0ken, December 22, 2008, 06:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NearBr0ken

Over the past few days I've been thinking about how much better my life could be if only God were real.  It would instantly solve a lot of my problems.  I'm a college student, so I live on campus five days a week and go back home on the weekends and breaks.  My parents know that I'm an atheist but my 9 year old brother doesn't.  Needless to say, my parents have already warned me about the consequences of influencing my little brother saying that I "haven't yet seen their wrath" and that they won't "save my soul over his".  This brings some unwanted strains to our relationships.  I have to remain true to what I know is the truth while eating their food and sleeping in their house because the situation I'm currently in provides the best atmosphere for focusing on my education and I don't want to lose that.  Everything from tucking my brother into bed at night to saying grace before dinner becomes an issue.  And this entire time I know that if my brother comes to them with any questions about why I don't pray anymore or the like, I'm out of the house.  I've gotten to the point where if he asks me a question I just say "Go ask mom or dad."  Even that raises moral questions because I am intentionally decieving him and I feel terrible for it.  I'm getting out of the house as soon as I possibly can.  I hate it here, but they're family nonetheless.

Wraitchel

That sounds very stressful. I hope you can get out on your own soon. I think you will be much happier when you can be yourself at home.

crocofish

Sounds like a tough position to be in, particularly with your younger brother stuck in between opposing views.  Obviously, your parents are in the power position.  Others have posted some similar situations elsewhere on this forum.   Since you are in college now, it won't be too long before you can be totally independent.  Concentrate on your studies, get good grades, and hopefully it will help you get a good job so you can be financially independent.

When I was in college, I had similar thoughts that things would be easier if I could believe in god, if I could believe that someone or something could be prayed to and could make life easier; but I felt I would just be deceiving myself.  If I pretended to believe in the supernatural, I wouldn't really believe.  Sometimes we just have to deal with hard situations the best we can.
"The cloud condenses, and looks back on itself, in wonder." -- unknown

Will

I have hope for you and your little brother. I didn't discuss my atheism with my little brother until he was 18, and he's become a brilliant free-thinker all on his own. I'm very proud of him.

Make sure your parents know you're not interested in allowing your little brother access to your beliefs until he's an adult, and I'm sure they'll back off. You may want to remind them, though, that they're forcing you to lie to him. That's a very dark thing for them to do. It's certainly not Christian.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Sophus

As reckless as I am I would tell him. You'll feel relieved afterwords. If I would have had someone who could have helped me break away from theist's brainwashing earlier in my life I would've been grateful for it.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Kevin

I kind of understand.. I am stuck between a mom who told me she doesn't want me to be Atheist (I'm not), she said "Better safe than sorry", my dad doesn't really care.. But then a penecostal grandmother, and a preacher grandfather who baptized me.. So if I came out that I don't believe in Christianity to them (My dad knows, we have had 2 talks on this), it would suck.. My dad told me not to tell my grandparents.

But I have a little brother to, and I can't tell whether he believes in it or not.. But I don't think he does, so I don't have much to worry about.
Good luck man.
And why not sit down with your parents and explain to them that if they can have their beliefs on your little brother, then you should be able to talk to him about yours?
The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike. - Delos B. McKown

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

bowmore

Quote from: "NearBr0ken"Needless to say, my parents have already warned me about the consequences of influencing my little brother saying that I "haven't yet seen their wrath" and that they won't "save my soul over his".

I won't give you any different advice from what others have given already. I'd go with Willravel.

I would just like to note that apparently your parents don't feel equipped to deal with atheism. They use their financial power over you, and your brother to 'win' the debate.
"Rational arguments don’t usually work on religious people. Otherwise there would be no religious people."

House M.D.

SSY

You have my sincerest good wishes.

I must also voice my concern over your parents’ attitudes. They feel they have carte blanche to brainwash his young and infinitely malleable mind, any one with views even slightly opposed to this is a threat. This affirms my belief it is more or less impossible to convert someone from theism over the age of 40 or so. They are so set in their ways, and have so much invested in this way of life, they will ignore incontrovertible evidence to preserve their world view. Unfortunately for your little brother ( and you ), part of this mindset is the necessity to force others into your belief, as the more people believe it, the more self assured you can be in your convictions.

It is a great shame your parents feel the need to control your beliefs to this degree, and use your financial vulnerability to blackmail you into doing as they say, not very Christian at all really.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick