News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

It's Very Worrying ...

Started by Kyuuketsuki, November 06, 2008, 11:06:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyuuketsuki

... every time I post something in this forum (the "Religion" forum as opposed to the entire HA community) I am invited to click the link "Return to Religion" ... I feel a certain amount of intrepidation at that  :eek:

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

curiosityandthecat

-Curio

Asmodean

Just to clarify: HAF is a message board. Forums are parts of the message board. (Like Religion or Current Events).  :nerd:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "Asmodean"Just to clarify: HAF is a message board. Forums are parts of the message board. (Like Religion or Current Events).  :nerd:

Depends on where you go ... some refer to the entire board as a community and the individual sections as forums.

Kyu

Asmodean

Quote from: "Kyuuketsuki"
Quote from: "Asmodean"Just to clarify: HAF is a message board. Forums are parts of the message board. (Like Religion or Current Events).  :nerd:

So what you are saying is so to say exactly what I said.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "Asmodean"So what you are saying is so to say exactly what I said.

Ah, but in a different way  roflol clever eh?

Kyu

Asmodean

Quote from: "Asmodean"So what you are saying is so to say exactly what I said.

Ah, but in a different way  :unsure: I'm out of nerdy comments.

Uh... Err... Uhm...

Yup.  :D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Improbable

Kyu, I don't understand. Is this metaphorical? I haven't seen this link.
     Why should you be bother about being invited to rejoin something that you understand is total nonsense anyway?
     Or do you mean that you are worried on the behalf of others? I am more concerned for agnostics/ weak deists/weak theists than for 'stronger' atheists. So if that's what you mean I understand your concern.
    It doesn't shake my own disbelief of course. Nor do I see why it should shake yours. And you are not really suggesting that are you?
'Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence.' - Richard Dawkins.
   'We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.' - Richard Dawkins.

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "Improbable"Kyu, I don't understand. Is this metaphorical? I haven't seen this link.

Look at the bottom of this thread :)

Kyu

Improbable

Quote from: "Improbable"Kyu, I don't understand. Is this metaphorical? I haven't seen this link.

Look at the bottom of this thread :)

Kyu
OH its a joke, I didn't see that coming. Btw I noticed the quote in your sig, I love that quote. Its such a brilliant and true and brilliantly true and truly brilliant response to the accusation of him being an 'atheist fundamentalist'. If I've added enough trues and brilliants. The preface to TGD is brilliant. I can't imagine a better response. Completely debunks the accusation at least in my eyes. Its from the paperback preface yes? Or is it just from the standard one? (of course the paperback edition contains both prefaces and that is the edition that I have).
'Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence.' - Richard Dawkins.
   'We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.' - Richard Dawkins.

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "Improbable"OH its a joke, I didn't see that coming.

It is :)

Quote from: "Improbable"Btw I noticed the quote in your sig, I love that quote. Its such a brilliant and true and brilliantly true and truly brilliant response to the accusation of him being an 'atheist fundamentalist'. If I've added enough trues and brilliants. The preface to TGD is brilliant. I can't imagine a better response. Completely debunks the accusation at least in my eyes. Its from the paperback preface yes? Or is it just from the standard one? (of course the paperback edition contains both prefaces and that is the edition that I have).

I don't know even that it is from "The God Delusion", I have the hardback version and I don't remember that specific quote but it might be from there (I got it from a Sunday Times article by Dawkins as I recall).

Kyu

Improbable

Quote from: "Improbable"OH its a joke, I didn't see that coming.

It is :)

Quote from: "Improbable"Btw I noticed the quote in your sig, I love that quote. Its such a brilliant and true and brilliantly true and truly brilliant response to the accusation of him being an 'atheist fundamentalist'. If I've added enough trues and brilliants. The preface to TGD is brilliant. I can't imagine a better response. Completely debunks the accusation at least in my eyes. Its from the paperback preface yes? Or is it just from the standard one? (of course the paperback edition contains both prefaces and that is the edition that I have).

I don't know even that it is from "The God Delusion", I have the hardback version and I don't remember that specific quote but it might be from there (I got it from a Sunday Times article by Dawkins as I recall).

Kyu
In the Paperback version of TGD that I have this quote is in it. But its a lot longer and more detailed.
      I'm not going to quote it all. Here are the bits from the quote that are basically the same as the quote in your sig just more detailed and longer, from the preface to the paperback edition of The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins on the sub-header 'You are just as much of a fundamentalist as those you criticize.':
     'No, please, it is all too easy to mistake passion that can change its mind for fundamentalism, which never will. Fundamentalist Christians are passionately opposed to evolution I am passionately in favour of it. Passion for passion, we are evenly matched. And that, according to some, means we are equally fundamentalist. But, to borrow an aphorism whose source I am unable to pin down, when two opposite points of view are expressed with equal force, the truth does not necessarily lie midway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong. And that justifies passion on the other side.'

It then goes on and then there's this bit: 'It is impossible to overstress the difference between such a passionate commitment to biblical fundamentals and the true scientist's equally passionate commitment to evidence. The fundamentalist Kurt Wise proclaims that all the evidence in the universe would not change his mind. The true scientist, however passionately he may 'believe' in evolution, knows exactly what it would take to change his mind: Evidence.'

It basically seems to me to be a longer more detailed paraphrased version of the quote in your sig.
     Or rather the quote in your sig is a shorter, simpler, straight to the point but less detailed paraphrased version of the quote from this preface. I don't know which came first. It could have indeed originated somewhere else entirely.

Wechtlein Uns

"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

Improbable