News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

got my computer back!

Started by susangail, May 20, 2009, 10:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

susangail

Finally!! It crashed (again) so I had been using my dad's. Kind of ironic isn't it? Visiting HAF on my dad's computer...hehe....

Well my beautiful laptop is finally back so I had to tell the world  :D
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

curiosityandthecat

-Curio

Will

I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Whitney

Good, it sucks when they crash.  I have three crashed/broken laptops sitting around...not sure if I will ever have them fixed or not.

susangail

^ It really does suck! I live on my computer. This is the second time this has happened since I got it last year. I asked the people what I'm doing wrong or something and they said moving it around a lot can damage it. I got SO mad cause whenever I have company over they always pass my computer around like it's an appetizer tray   :brick:
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

Whitney

Quote from: "susangail"I asked the people what I'm doing wrong or something and they said moving it around a lot can damage it. I got SO mad cause whenever I have company over they always pass my computer around like it's an appetizer tray   :brick:

A laptop is meant to be moved around.  Unless they are purposely shaking the computer around or dropping it, it shouldn't cause any damage.  There are business people who literally do nothing but move their laptop from surface to surface all day long because they have to take them to meetings, onto a train, back to the office, back home, onto the plane etc.  After all, if we didn't need to have a portable computer that could be easily moved around, we wouldn't need laptops.  In other words, the repair people are making up stuff.

What brand is this laptop?  If it is a Compaq...that's your problem.  They just break easily.  The last time I took my Compaq laptop in for repairs the tech said he could tell that I took good care of it and that the power button had just come un-soldered.  My Compaq laptop also made a trip to Compaq before that to be repaired under warranty.  Now it is broke again and has been replaced by a cheap netbook.  If I'm going to have a laptop that might break on me in a year, might as well be one that is really cheap to replace....I will not buy another expensive laptop again without a very good warranty plan (and not a Compaq).

susangail

Quote from: "Whitney"A laptop is meant to be moved around.  Unless they are purposely shaking the computer around or dropping it, it shouldn't cause any damage.  There are business people who literally do nothing but move their laptop from surface to surface all day long because they have to take them to meetings, onto a train, back to the office, back home, onto the plane etc.  After all, if we didn't need to have a portable computer that could be easily moved around, we wouldn't need laptops.  In other words, the repair people are making up stuff.
See that's what I always thought! Ugh....stupid Geek Squad...

Quote from: "Whitney"What brand is this laptop?  
It's a MacBook. I never have any problems with it. The only time is when it's suddenly slow and then the next day it crashes (that's what happened both times).

curiosityandthecat

Bought an Acer laptop three years ago. I run it hard, practically into the ground. Only problem I've had is the occasional overheating (but it was my fault.. trying to run The Witcher with it sitting on a couch  :D
-Curio

susangail

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Bought an Acer laptop three years ago. I run it hard, practically into the ground. Only problem I've had is the occasional overheating (but it was my fault.. trying to run The Witcher with it sitting on a couch  :D

Ugh. I'm meticulous with my computer and it crashed twice in one year! Ugh!

Whitney

Quote from: "susangail"It's a MacBook. I never have any problems with it. The only time is when it's suddenly slow and then the next day it crashes (that's what happened both times).

Considering how often this happens and how much Mac users rave about Macs working well...you might have bought a lemon.

edit:  Have you made sure that you are keeping dust out of the fan?  My laptops that died both had issues with sucking in things like dust and cat fur then overheating.  So, you might want to check the status of the fan when it starts to slow; just unscrew the cover and look.

susangail

Quote from: "Whitney"Considering how often this happens and how much Mac users rave about Macs working well...you might have bought a lemon.

edit:  Have you made sure that you are keeping dust out of the fan?  My laptops that died both had issues with sucking in things like dust and cat fur then overheating.  So, you might want to check the status of the fan when it starts to slow; just unscrew the cover and look.
I'll try the fan thing. Thanks. I really hope my computer isn't a dud...