News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Coming out

Started by NearBr0ken, November 19, 2008, 06:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NearBr0ken

I'm in the process of revealing my atheism.  The hardest will be to my parents as I still live in their house (while I'm at college).  I'm telling them this weekend but some of my friends already know.  I see it like this:  I've got one life to live, and nobody else is going to live it for me.  It's my life and I'm going to be the one to live it.

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "NearBr0ken"I'm in the process of revealing my atheism.  The hardest will be to my parents as I still live in their house (while I'm at college).  I'm telling them this weekend but some of my friends already know.  I see it like this:  I've got one life to live, and nobody else is going to live it for me.  It's my life and I'm going to be the one to live it.

Absolutely ... if you want any advice I'm sure you'll get it here :)

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

karadan

Quote from: "NearBr0ken"I'm in the process of revealing my atheism.  The hardest will be to my parents as I still live in their house (while I'm at college).  I'm telling them this weekend but some of my friends already know.  I see it like this:  I've got one life to live, and nobody else is going to live it for me.  It's my life and I'm going to be the one to live it.

Go you!!!

Good luck with it. I hope for your sake they don't react like this...
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

curiosityandthecat

Hold your ground, but if they go on the offensive, don't fan the flames.

Good luck. We're all here for you.
-Curio

Arthur Dent

I find that most religious beliefs are nothing more than a blanket for peoples lack of knowledge. They don't understand how "life, the universe and everything" works, so they adhere to a simple explanation that whisks away the details, (generally whatever they were told when they were young).

For me, my biggest defense, and driving force towards atheism, is science itself. My parents believe in souls and creationism and several other things, but I know different, verifiable explanations for the voids that those concepts attempt to fill. By having that edge, that scientific objection, it puts you in a place of immunity to religious bigotry. Unfortunately for them, using such a defense will put them in the wrong, which can lead to isolation and even hostility, as I know all too well.  :unsure:
"In our tenure of this planet, we have accumulated dangerous, evolutionary baggage -- propensities for aggression and ritual, submission to leaders, hostility to outsiders, all of which puts our survival in some doubt. We have also acquired compassion for others, love for our children, a desire to learn from history and experience, and a great, soa

rlrose328

Good for you!  Grab life by the b@lls and have fun with it.  I'll be thinking about you this weekend.  :)
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

PipeBox

Best of luck.  We're all on standby if you need support.   :D
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

Asmodean

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Hold your ground, but if they go on the offensive, don't fan the flames.

Good luck. We're all here for you.
Fan them flames just a little. Not enough to risk being kicked out of the house or not innheriting The Cashâ,,¢, but just enough for the satisfaction factor  :beer: Live your life as YOU want to while you can live it.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sophus

Best wishes to you!

From my experience those who are closest to you will battle with you the most. I would avoid any discussion of details with them no matter how much they want to. It's uneeded friction and it was the biggest mistake I made.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

NearBr0ken

Thanks for all your support.  I'm researching evolution and big bang theory like crazy, making sure to take note of all theistic arguments and their rebuttals.  It's a lot to take in, but I know I'm going to need it come this weekend.  Unfortunately, my parents don't have internet and it's Thanksgiving break, so I won't be able to update you all on their reaction for a week after I tell them.  

:idea:   That in mind, I probably won't tell them until the week is over, just so things go smoother.  It all depends on the circumstances.  

On the plus side, I've learned a lot though.  As it turns out, irreducible complexity is total BS that is debunked by exaptation.  That was the one my dad always cornered me with.  The argument about blood clotting, the immune system, the pain reflex, etc.  The more I learn, the easier it is to recognize ignorance.  I'm reading "The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins and "The End of Faith" by Sam Harris.  They are both wonderful books.  All of what I'm learning just makes so much sense.  In fact, I have more of an appreciation for biology, astronomy, chemistry, and a host of other subjects now that I know about them.  This weekend could be a rough one, but I won't let them dictate my life to me.

curiosityandthecat

Pick up Cosmos by Carl Sagan, too. It's always helpful to be knowledgeable about the classics,  ;)
-Curio

Arthur Dent

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Pick up Cosmos by Carl Sagan, too. It's always helpful to be knowledgeable about the classics,  ;)

Cosmos and Carl Sagan in general are responsible for my falling out of religion and recent love of science.

http://sprword.com/videos/cosmos/
"In our tenure of this planet, we have accumulated dangerous, evolutionary baggage -- propensities for aggression and ritual, submission to leaders, hostility to outsiders, all of which puts our survival in some doubt. We have also acquired compassion for others, love for our children, a desire to learn from history and experience, and a great, soa

NearBr0ken

Well, I told my dad since he's more open minded, but of course my mom eventually found out.  They recognize that I'm an adult even though they think I'm in error.  They expect me to respect their beliefs and keep quiet about mine as long as I'm at their house.  I understand that, which is why I'm getting a job closer to college and staying there most of the time.  It went better than expected, but not quite as well as I wanted it.  I presented my case clearly and concisely and made sure to point out logical fallacies he used (which there were many).  He even said that I shouldn't be asking him if God existed, I should be asking God....  :D

brekfustuvluzerz

same here about sagan and cosmos. he is my "savior"
"(insert favorite carl sagan quote here)" - Carl Sagan