News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Killing is OK?

Started by Messenger, December 03, 2008, 11:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joy_landlocked

i'm pretty surprised no one has brought up the biological reasons to avoid cannibalism.  what about the likelihood of communicable diseases through eating human flesh?  i don't want my brain turned to a sponge like some kind of mad cow or like that tribe in papua new guinea.

for the record, i think i'd only eat a human being if i would otherwise starve, but i would never kill one.  i'd also never eat an animal unless i would otherwise starve, and i might kill one as humanely as possible, if in a survival situation.

this has nothing to do with my atheism or the degree of relatedness.  i also don't understand the poll options.
[size=85]what happens in the meadow at dusk?[/size]

Will

Quote from: "joy_landlocked"i'm pretty surprised no one has brought up the biological reasons to avoid cannibalism.  what about the likelihood of communicable diseases through eating human flesh?  i don't want my brain turned to a sponge like some kind of mad cow or like that tribe in papua new guinea.
Aren't we assuming that one cleans and cooks the meat? Like maybe going to Costco and getting a plate of human ribs with some KC Masterpiece and charcoal briquettes. I mean even it if were in a starvation situation, one would attempt to sterilize the meat first. Humans really can't digest raw meat the same way we once could.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

karadan

Quote from: "Willravel"
Quote from: "joy_landlocked"i'm pretty surprised no one has brought up the biological reasons to avoid cannibalism.  what about the likelihood of communicable diseases through eating human flesh?  i don't want my brain turned to a sponge like some kind of mad cow or like that tribe in papua new guinea.
Aren't we assuming that one cleans and cooks the meat? Like maybe going to Costco and getting a plate of human ribs with some KC Masterpiece and charcoal briquettes. I mean even it if were in a starvation situation, one would attempt to sterilize the meat first. Humans really can't digest raw meat the same way we once could.

CJD is still communicable even after the tainted meat (or meat byproducts as it comes from the spine or brain stem) is cooked. As far as i can remember, it is incredibly resistent to heat. Put simply, it became rampant because cows were being fed, umm, cows...
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Messenger

Quote from: "dodgecity"
QuoteIf you believe in Evolution there is no such thing as species.

Evolution is not something one believes in or doesn't believe in. It is a scientific theory.

Also, that is not true; this grave misunderstanding of evolution is most likely the root of the moral problem you have. Evolution is not a moral guide or social plan. It is an observable reality that we have to deal with.
Evolution is a wrong scientific theory and it is a basis for atheism

I can refute evolution very easily!

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Messenger"Evolution is a wrong scientific theory and it is a basis for atheism

-Curio

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "Messenger"Evolution is a wrong scientific theory and it is a basis for atheism. I can refute evolution very easily!

The evidence supporting the theory of evolution is immense and the rationale behind it exceptionally well researched and considered; as such it quite rightly represents our best current explanation for the diversity of life on this planet ... oh, and no, you can't (I'd put money on it, lots and lots of money)!!!!

Only an idiot would say they could, "refute evolution very easily!"

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

karadan

Quote from: "Messenger"
Quote from: "dodgecity"
QuoteIf you believe in Evolution there is no such thing as species.

Evolution is not something one believes in or doesn't believe in. It is a scientific theory.

Also, that is not true; this grave misunderstanding of evolution is most likely the root of the moral problem you have. Evolution is not a moral guide or social plan. It is an observable reality that we have to deal with.
Evolution is a wrong scientific theory and it is a basis for atheism

You were quite cryptic in the beginning but are now really showing your true colours.

If you have no basis for your ridiculous statements or indeed are unable to back them up, then please do not be disappointed when people start to treat you with disrespect, and maybe even throw a little bit of bemused anger your way.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Messenger

Quote from: "karadan"If you have no basis for your ridiculous statements or indeed are unable to back them up, then please do not be disappointed when people start to treat you with disrespect, and maybe even throw a little bit of bemused anger your way.
That is very common among wrong believers
If they are faced with evidences against their believes, they through words with anger
wait and see  :pop:

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "Messenger"That is very common among wrong believers
If they are faced with evidences against their believes, they through words with anger
wait and see  :pop:

You haven't presented any validatable evidence yet, not a shred. I'm waiting but I'm not holding my breath.

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

dodgecity

QuotePart of the theory of evolution depends on the origin of life.

No.

Will

Let's stay on topic, please.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

chuff

Quote from: "Kyuuketsuki"Only an idiot would say...
Kyu

I'm sorry, I know we should stay on topic, but I mean come on. This is supposed to be a rational discussion board. Statements like the above should be left for the biblers to throw at each other. What you're using here, Kyu, is listed under Every schoolboy knows in this fabulous work.

What a real idiot would say is that he won't listen to other arguments than the one he currently accepts. Surely that's not what we stand for here?

Quote from: "karadan"You were quite cryptic in the beginning but are now really showing your true colours.

This sounds an awful lot like someone who isn't very open to different ideas.. Please, guys, let's not be angry (and rightly so) at those who ignore all other ideas and cling to their own regardless of everything, then turn around and do the same thing in a different field of study (wrongly so).

BACK ON TOPIC:

When we talk about going to Costco and getting a rack of human ribs and things, I start to worry there. I guess my emotions flare in response to that because I'm eating a "person." Yes, I realize it no longer is a person, but I don't know whose body I'm eating and that would trouble me.

But then again if I knew the person, that might trouble me. Unless I hated them.

I guess my current position on cannibalism would be, it's not necessarily morally wrong, it would just weird me out.
"Think as I think," said a man,
"Or you are abominably wicked;
You are a toad."

And after I had thought of it,
I said, "I will, then, be a toad."

-Stephen Crane

A Toad

joy_landlocked

Quote from: "chuff"But then again if I knew the person, that might trouble me. Unless I hated them.

if anything, i think i'd be LESS comfortable eating someone i hate.  i don't think i'd want part of that person's body to be a part of my body for the rest of my life.
[size=85]what happens in the meadow at dusk?[/size]

chuff

Quote from: "joy_landlocked"
Quote from: "chuff"But then again if I knew the person, that might trouble me. Unless I hated them.

if anything, i think i'd be LESS comfortable eating someone i hate.  i don't think i'd want part of that person's body to be a part of my body for the rest of my life.

Well I think it would have a satisfying feel to it, you know, a closing-time, finality thing.
"There's no way he/she'll ever bother me again!" It's just got that kind of feel to it, to me.

I guess it would be horrible imagining on the molecular level, that person stays with you, at least a small part.
"Think as I think," said a man,
"Or you are abominably wicked;
You are a toad."

And after I had thought of it,
I said, "I will, then, be a toad."

-Stephen Crane

A Toad

Wechtlein Uns

Hey, sorry this is a bit off topic, I don't mean to hijack thread or anything but this thread made me think of something.

All this talk about eating and nutrients has made me wonder if a virus could be injected into our bodies that would make our cells create non-carbon based materials, and if so, would we then need to eat those types of materials in order to get the material?

And, if we needed to get those types of materials, would it be ethical to put dead humans in "shredders" that remove said non-carbon based materials from the dead cadavers, which we then ingest? this strikes me as very disturbing...but interesting.  :idea:
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.