News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Former atheists that found religion??

Started by Zarathustra, November 24, 2008, 03:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "Zarathustra"I didn't find anything when asking into this either. And this blatant dishonesty can even be a theist pretending to be an atheist. This pretension is usually revealed by the way he/she argues, and especially makes assumptions.

I don't even like it when atheists pretend to be theists!

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

Mister Joy

It's a useful trick to make them go away, though.

"Found Jesus?"
"Yes. You?"
"Yes."
"Good. Bye then."

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "Mister Joy"It's a useful trick to make them go away, though.

"Found Jesus?"
"Yes. You?"
"Yes."
"Good. Bye then."

I prefer the, "Trust me, you really, really don't want to do this ..." accompanied by an irritable "I know exactly what you're about to say" expression. Bear in mind I tend to wear a lot of black including a black leather biker jacket/long black leather coat, black fingerless leather gloves (pointing at the person in question's face) and you can see that might be a tad intimidating  :devil:

Kyu

Mister Joy

Quote from: "kyuuketsuki"I prefer the, "Trust me, you really, really don't want to do this ..." accompanied by an irritable "I know exactly what you're about to say" expression. Bear in mind I tend to wear a lot of black including a black leather biker jacket/long black leather coat, black fingerless leather gloves (pointing at the person in question's face) and you can see that might be a tad intimidating :) You could throw bricks at them and they'd still persist.

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "Mister Joy"I don't think that has much of an effect on them, really. Telling them you know their pitch isn't going to stop them going ahead anyway and being tough-looking just means they'll shout at you from three or four meters away rather than speak plainly to your face. Let's say I go into town with my friend "Death Row" Dave. Dave's a big softy, really. When he's with people he trusts he'll let out his sensitive side and start talking about poetry. But any initial impression of him is sum-up-able by his nickname. Doesn't stop them at all. :)

I'm "not 'ard" either, it's all image (my kids think I'm "a muffin")

Kyu

Wechtlein Uns

Anyone prefer firing a shotgun above their heads?
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

Zarathustra

Quote from: "Wechtlein Uns"Anyone prefer firing a shotgun above their heads?
Good to have you back wechtlein.
But you can't do that! Don't you know "Morality?":  ;)[attachment=0:2z4n4g5b]atheistcartoonke1.gif[/attachment:2z4n4g5b] courtesy of MariaEvri
"Man does not draw his laws from nature, but impose them upon nature" - Kant
[size=85]English is not my native language, so please don't attack my grammar, attack my message instead[/size]

Wechtlein Uns

laughing my rear end off. I think when christians say they want "respect" for their religion, they really mean they want belief in it. Go figure.
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

silentone13

I agree with you a 100%. I think that people who say they used to be atheist but have suddenly found religion were most likely agnostic or religious in the first place. That's not to say an atheist can't change their mind and turn to a religion, but in order to do that, they had to be open to the idea of religion in the first place. That, in and of itself, means they weren't truly atheist. It would also take alot of time in order to become religious, it can't just turn on at the drop of a hat. That's my point of view, anyway.

Kyuuketsuki

I think it in part comes from the idea that theists seem to have that we (atheists) don't so much not believe in "God" but hate "Him" ... if you think like that I guess you're likely to believe that whatever troubled period in your life you had where you lost your (religious) way is the same as being an atheist and (as any of us would tell that person) it isn't because we can't hate what we don't believe in.

Kyu