News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

So Islam Is "The Tolerant Religion" Eh?

Started by Kyuuketsuki, October 28, 2008, 03:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karakara

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"
Quote from: "Kyuuketsuki"Apparently not ... people that I know (and respect) consider the AJ Western News service pretty objective in fact The Independent did an article on it saying how keen the Al Jazeera service was to be seen as objective and unbiased. When you think about it, as a major Arabic voice in the west it would make sense that they'd want us to listen and, if so (given that the only people who would listen are the the liberal thinkers, the way to do it is to report stuff well.

That I've heard several people (that I respect) speak highly of the service has made up my mind to give them a chance, my problem is I really don't listen to that kind of things at all so its on my list of things to do.

Kyu

Bingo.

Al-Jazeera English is a respected news source which, being outside of the America's realm of influence, can report in ways the western media cannot. I don't go there to build my ideologies and construct opinions; I go there to get the "other side" of the news that, often enough, portrays America in less-than-flattering light. Whenever a news source critiques your own country, it's worth paying attention.

Quote from: "karakara"I'm not familiar with Jon Stewart.

The voice of our generation.

Believe what you want.. just because something is 'outside of America's realm of influence', whatever that means, doesn't 'ergo' make it legitimate.  Despite what 'credible friends' and your own sensibilities tell you, I strongly encourage you to investigate the objectivity and credibility of any al Jazeera branch.  I strongly urge all to resist buying into the :
"if it's anti-American, it has to be legit." equation. Think, man.
"If you cannot see God in all, you cannot see God at all."

"When there is no hope, YOU become The Hope!"

-- Sri Singh Sahib Harbhajan Singh Khalsa Yogijee
http://www.sikhnet.com/pages/introduction-sikhism

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "karakara"Believe what you want.. just because something is 'outside of America's realm of influence', whatever that means, doesn't 'ergo' make it legitimate.  Despite what 'credible friends' and your own sensibilities tell you, I strongly encourage you to investigate the objectivity and credibility of any al Jazeera branch.  I strongly urge all to resist buying into the :

Some of my "credible friends" are tenured professors at one of the country's most revered and respected colleges of journalism, though I can't speak for Kyu. I tend to trust them when they tell me which news venues are good and which aren't. But, you're right. What do they know?

No one ever said, "If it's anti-American, it has to be legit." I'm not sure how you got that out of my suggestion that looking for critiques of the system you are in is, in its own right, a good thing. Try not to project your obvious anti-liberal views onto others and accuse them of being thoughtless.
-Curio

karakara

Quote from: "karakara"Believe what you want.. just because something is 'outside of America's realm of influence', whatever that means, doesn't 'ergo' make it legitimate.  Despite what 'credible friends' and your own sensibilities tell you, I strongly encourage you to investigate the objectivity and credibility of any al Jazeera branch.  I strongly urge all to resist buying into the :

Some of my "credible friends" are tenured professors at one of the country's most revered and respected colleges of journalism, though I can't speak for Kyu. I tend to trust them when they tell me which news venues are good and which aren't. But, you're right. What do they know?

No one ever said, "If it's anti-American, it has to be legit." I'm not sure how you got that out of my suggestion that looking for critiques of the system you are in is, in its own right, a good thing. Try not to project your obvious anti-liberal views onto others and accuse them of being thoughtless.

College professors are some of the last people I'd look to for objectivity..  for the most part, most institutes of higher learning are staffed by liberals, ultra-liberals, and radicals. That's just the way it is. I'm not saying watch Fox News, just call a spade a spade, instead of Orwellian saying 'up is down, down is up'.. al Jazeera has no credibility as far as objectivity goes, I'll stick my neck out that far and defy anyone to cut it off.

Sat Nam, I'm not right-winger either.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "karakara"College professors are some of the last people I'd look to for objectivity..  for the most part, most institutes of higher learning are staffed by liberals, ultra-liberals, and radicals. That's just the way it is. I'm not saying watch Fox News, just call a spade a spade, instead of Orwellian saying 'up is down, down is up'.. al Jazeera has no credibility as far as objectivity goes, I'll stick my neck out that far and defy anyone to cut it off.

I'm not willing to derail this thread any further into a defense of liberals or non-Western news sources. Just be aware that your fear of liberals and liberalism distorts your lens.
-Curio

karakara

Quote from: "karakara"College professors are some of the last people I'd look to for objectivity..  for the most part, most institutes of higher learning are staffed by liberals, ultra-liberals, and radicals. That's just the way it is. I'm not saying watch Fox News, just call a spade a spade, instead of Orwellian saying 'up is down, down is up'.. al Jazeera has no credibility as far as objectivity goes, I'll stick my neck out that far and defy anyone to cut it off.

I'm not willing to derail this thread any further into a defense of liberals or non-Western news sources. Just be aware that your fear of liberals and liberalism distorts your lens.
Yes, we certainly are off topic. I don't fear liberals or liberalism, I'm trust trying to be objective myself.  I call it like I see it friend, no self-censorship or 'political correctness'.