News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Alaskan Letter to Editor

Started by greengreen, November 10, 2008, 09:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greengreen

hi everyone,
this is my first post!  I found an letter that was submitted to an alaskan newspaper, and I was just curious what you guys thought of it.  http://stoptherage.wordpress.com/2008/11/09/freedom-of-religion/  It just doesnt seem like someone would be that ignorant to send in a rant like that.
thanks

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "greengreen"It just doesnt seem like someone would be that ignorant to send in a rant like that.

The woman sounds exceptionally ignorant (and not just of American history).

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

PipeBox

Wow, I don't know where to begin.  Actually, I'm not going to.  Her ignorance will be obvious to anyone who frequents these forums, and she isn't personally available for debate, so I'm going to leave it alone.

. . . Still, stunning ignorance . . .

**EDIT**

Oh, and welcome greengreen!  You ought to make an introductory post in the appropriate subforum!  We've had too many folks just make 1 post and then go silent lately.  There's a good chance they're still around, lurking, but we like an active forum whenever it's possible.   :D
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

curiosityandthecat

Saw this quite a while back. Actually just posted it in the Atheist Image Dump thread a couple days ago (or was it yesterday? ...they're all running together).

Honestly, it makes me laugh. And then, after I catch my breath, it worries the hell out of me. If you take the text and switch it around, and send that into a paper, imagine the reaction...

QuoteIt's time to stomp out Christians in America. The majority of Americans would love to see Christians kicked out of America. If you believe in God, then get out of this country.
The United States is based on having freedom from religion, speech, etc., which means you can't believe in God any way you want (atheism, humanism, Buddhism, etc.,) but you must not believe.
I don't recall freedom from religion meaning religion. Our currency even says, "In Pesci We Trust." So, to all the Christians in America: Get off of our country.
Christians have caused the ruin of this great nation by putting prayer into our schools and being able to practice what can only be called evil. I don't care if they have never committed a crime, Christians are the reason crime is rampant.

Or, if you really want to get people pissed off at you, how about...

QuoteIt's time to stomp out Muslims in America. The majority of Americans would love to see Muslims kicked out of America. If you believe in Allah, then get out of this country.
The United States is based on having freedom from religion, speech, etc., which means you can not believe in God any way you want (atheism, humanism, Buddhism, etc.,) but you must not believe.
I don't recall freedom from religion meaning having religion. Our currency even says, "In Pesci We Trust." So, to all the Muslims in America: Get off of our country.
Muslims have caused the ruin of this great nation by putting Allah into our schools and being able to practice what can only be called evil. I don't care if they have never committed a crime, Muslims are the reason crime is rampant.

Can you imagine the backlash? Say it about atheists, though, and it just becomes a funny meme.  :|
-Curio

PipeBox

Quote. . . you can't believe in God any way you want . . .

OK, that is great.  I'm keeping that because it works on so many levels.  :lol:
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

Sophus

Well she sure convinced me. I'm packing my bags for Mehico folks!
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

rlrose328

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Can you imagine the backlash? Say it about atheists, though, and it just becomes a funny meme.  :|

This is the most valid point made today... atheists are so distrusted and maligned that we can be publically flogged like that letter or Elizabeth Dole's campaign ad and no one bats an eye.  (Granted, people WERE outraged by the commercial, but moreso because it attacked the other woman's faith, not because it bashed atheists.)

Put any other faith or group in place of atheists and you'd have a national outcry of "UNFAIR" and "BIGOT," Fox News would be rolling over itself with commentary, and the pundits would have a field day demanding someone's head on the block.

It really disgusts me.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

DennisK

Where would we be deported to, if this person (Palin?) becomes president?  I vote for Jamaica!

I love this line, "The united States is based on having freedom of religion, speech, etc., which means you can believe in God any way you want (Baptist, Catholic, Methodist, etc.), but you must :evil:  believe".  Priceless.
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality." -Halton Arp

Titan

From a Christian perspective, I'm one of those people who would rather have us Christians persecuted then try to become a more influential religion when it comes to government.
"Those who praise the light of fire, but blame it for its heat, should not be listened to, as they judge it according to their comfort or discomfort and not by its nature. They wish to see, but not to be burnt. They forget that this very light which pleases them so much is a discomfort to weak eyes and harms them..."
- St. Augustine

"The soul lives

Whitney

Check this out:  http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/atheists.asp

It was likely written with irony in mind, nonetheless, there are a lot of people who agree with the sentiment.