News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

why should you respect others beliefs?

Started by quizlixx, November 11, 2008, 05:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Asmodean"Indeed. This is what I was trying to demonstrate with my color reference. We make a good tandem, Cat  :beer:
-Curio

Sophus

With all due respect (ha ha) you couldn't be more wrong.

Respect    tr.v.
  -To avoid violation of or interference with

You avoid this by not disrespecting. In a sense, the act of respect is more about what you're not doing than it is what you are doing.

I feel we are only talking semantics here.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "Sophus"With all due respect (ha ha) you couldn't be more wrong..

I have to disagree if only for pure English grammar reason ... disrespect relies on the concept of respect for its meaning and the opposite so in essence respect is the default and disrespect when you don't do it ... um ... I think that makes sense (scuttles away).

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

Asmodean

Quote from: "Kyuuketsuki"(scuttles away).
*Drags back*

Come sit on the tandem with me and Cat  :beer:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Rastelin

Respect is earned, the same goes for disrespect.

The way religion has gotten a free ride trough out history and the way it has misused it's position do not warrant respect in my eyes. Not to forget after centuries of mistakes paid in blood and suffering, it has the audacity to still claim to be the moral compass for humanity. I can respect the individual even if we differ on these issues, but I can not respect a belief system that has so utterly failed in every aspect :brick:
A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
-- Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

curiosityandthecat

Okay, okay, I'll put an end to the semantics.

Oxford English Dictionary to the rescue (again)! (Behind spoiler 'cause they're big.)

Respect
[spoiler:39hn0cso]Respect (noun)
I. In phrases (usually) without article.
       These are chiefly direct adoptions of L. uses, as habere respectum, respectu, sine respectu.

1. to have respect to:    a. To have regard or relation to, or connexion with, something.

b. To have reference, to refer, to something.

2. to have respect to:    a. To turn to, refer to, for information. Obs.

b. To have an eye to, to give heed to, by looking at. Obs.

c. To give heed, attention, or consideration to something; to have regard to; to take into account. Also const. ellipt. with that. (Cf. 13.)

d. To have in view; to allude to.

3.    a. in respect of, in comparison with. Obs.
  Common in the 16th and 17th centuries.

b. So in (or to) the respect of. Obs.

c. Also in respect to.

d. in respect, in comparison. Obs.

4. in respect (of):    a. With reference to; as relates to or regards. Also with the.

b. In view of, by reason or because of. Obs.

c. Considering, seeing, since (that).

d. In case. Obs. rare{em}1.

e. With respect to something. (Cf. 7b.) rare.

5. for (the) respect of:    a. For the sake of, because of.    b. In respect of. Obs.

6. without respect:    a. Without discrimination or consideration. Obs.

b. Without consideration of, or regard to, something. Also const. ellipt. with what.

7. with respect:    a. Relatively; in due proportion. Obs. rare.

b. With reference or regard to something.

c. In regard of something. Obs. rare{em}1.

II. 8.    a. An aspect of a thing; a relative property or quality; a relationship. Obs. (Common in 17th c.)

b. A particular, a point, a detail. Only in phrases with in, as in all, many, or some respects, in this respect, etc.

9. A relationship of one person or thing to another; a reference to some thing or person.    a. In phr. to have a (..) respect to.

b. In other uses. Also with betwixt.

10.    a. Relationship; reference. Obs.

b. Bearings, results. Obs. rare{em}1.

III.    11. A respite. Obs. Cf. RESPET(T n.

12.    a. Appearance, aspect. Obs. rare.

b. A view; a backward survey. Obs. rare.

13. a. Regard, consideration. Const. of or to.

b. Discrimination, partiality, or favour in regard of persons or things. (Cf. PERSON n. 13.)

c. Heed, care, attention. Obs.

d. pl. Attention or consideration given to more than one point or matter. Obs.

e. An opinion or view. Obs.

14. a. A consideration; a fact or motive which assists in, or leads to, the formation of a decision; an end or aim. (Very common in 17th c.)

b. With for. (Common c 1550-1650.)

IV.    15. ? Dread, fear. Obs.

16. a. Deferential regard or esteem felt or shown towards a person or thing.

b. The condition or state of being esteemed or honoured.

c. Rank, standing; station in life. Obs.

d. a coach (or litter) of respect, ? one used on occasions of state. Obs.

e. with (all due) respect and varr.: a polite phr. expressing proper deference, freq. used before stating (with some insistence) disagreement with another person's views. Also const. to.

17. pl.    a. Deferential or courteous attentions; actions expressive of respect for a person; politenesses, courtesies. Obs.

b. Deferential salutations. Obs. rare{em}1.

c. In complimentary formulæ, usually conveying a message expressive of regard or esteem.

d. to pay one's respects, to show polite attention to a person by presenting oneself or by making a call.

V. 18. Comb., as respect-inspiring, -worthy adjs.

Respect (verb)
1. trans. To respite; to put off, neglect. Obs.

2. To regard, consider, take into account. Obs. (In common use c 1560-1660.)

b. To heed, pay attention to; to observe carefully. Obs. (Frequent c 1575-1630.)

c. To regard, consider, look upon, as being of a certain kind, etc. Obs. rare.

3. To be directed to; to refer or relate to; to deal or be concerned with.

b. In pres. pple. With reference or regard to.

c. To resemble. Obs. rare{em}1.

d. To relate to, as regards the effect or result produced. Obs.

4. To treat or regard with deference, esteem, or honour; to feel or show respect for.

b. To esteem, prize, or value (a thing). Obs.

c. To treat with consideration; to refrain from injuring or interfering with; to spare.

d. To toast; to drink the health of. Obs. rare.

5. To expect, anticipate, look (for). Obs. rare.

6. a. Her. Of charges: To look at, face (esp. each other).

b. To regard; to look upon. Obs.

c. To look towards (a certain direction); to face (a specified place). Obs.

d. intr. To face or look to or towards. rare.
[/spoiler:39hn0cso]
We seem to be referring to 16 when discussing "respect" as a noun, and 4 as a verb.

Disrespect (watch out, this one is huge)
[spoiler:39hn0cso]Disrespect (noun)
Want of respect, courteous regard, or reverence.

b. With a and pl. An instance of this; an act showing disesteem or irreverence; ‘an act approaching to rudeness’ (J.). Obs.

Disrespect (verb)
trans. The reverse of to respect; to have or show no respect, regard, or reverence for; to treat with irreverence.

Hence disre{sm}spected ppl. a., -ing vbl. n.
[/spoiler:39hn0cso]

Well, I'll let you figure that one out for yourselves.  ;)
-Curio

Wraitchel

I respect other people's beliefs until they try in any way to force them on others. I have zero respect for Christians and Muslims who try to force their religious restrictions on me.

That said, I can't help but privately believe that religious people are a bunch of misled sheep, having been one myself years ago. My respect is a construct designed to protect civil society.

Sophus

Quote from: "Kyuuketsuki"
Quote from: "Sophus"With all due respect (ha ha) you couldn't be more wrong..

I have to disagree if only for pure English grammar reason ... disrespect relies on the concept of respect for its meaning and the opposite so in essence respect is the default and disrespect when you don't do it ... um ... I think that makes sense (scuttles away).

Kyu

You got the idea. It's determining the presence of something. It's either there or it isn't; there is no in between. You're either absent or present.

The first step to reasoning on a subject matter is to establish its definition. Asmodean's and Curio's initial perception of respect was just different from mine.

Quote from: "Wraitchel"I respect other people's beliefs until they try in any way to force them on others. I have zero respect for Christians and Muslims who try to force their religious restrictions on me.

I agree it becomes difficult to do then. Although you have to admit, we all (to a degree) try to hold some of our beliefs as something everyone should follow. It's easy to become passionate about.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Asmodean

Quote from: "Sophus"You got the idea. It's determining the presence of something. It's either there or it isn't; there is no in between. You're either absent or present.
You either respect someone/thing or you don't. And you either disrespect someone/thing or you don't. I see PLENTY of room for my greens and reds and shades of grey.

Would you that if I don't like something, I dislike it? Well, what if I never tasted it before? How then can I dislike it? Or what if I did taste it and thought oO(Meh...)? (here: like = want to eat it again someday, dislike = want to puke it all up all over the floor)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Wraitchel

Sophus said, "I agree it becomes difficult to do then. Although you have to admit, we all (to a degree) try to hold some of our beliefs as something everyone should follow. It's easy to become passionate about."

I've got no problem with passion and discussion. I've got problems when they blur the line between church and state, or sin and law. It's when it ceases to be a matter of me following fair laws and my own good conscience and becomes their way or the stoning pit.

Sophus

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "Sophus"You got the idea. It's determining the presence of something. It's either there or it isn't; there is no in between. You're either absent or present.
You either respect someone/thing or you don't. And you either disrespect someone/thing or you don't. I see PLENTY of room for my greens and reds and shades of grey.

Would you that if I don't like something, I dislike it? Well, what if I never tasted it before? How then can I dislike it? Or what if I did taste it and thought oO(Meh...)? (here: like = want to eat it again someday, dislike = want to puke it all up all over the floor)
As I said you are using the wrong analogy. It is about determing the presences of something rather than measuring something to a scale of like or dislike. Your analogy would of course apply to many, many other more complicated subjects. Which is good thinking because usually things are not just A or B. However, for reasons above, I believe this is not one of those cases.

Do I have respect for what I don't know? Or for someone I have never met? Sure. I respect the rights of millions of Americans who are complete and total strangers to me. And for that matter, everyone in the world.

nikkixsugar

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Because you want them to respect yours and not beat you to a bloody, atheist pulp.

[/thread]

But most Christians don't respect our beliefs right off the bat, So why not return the favor?

I agree w/ quizlixx
Hate to tell you, but.....

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Sophus

Quote from: "nikkixsugar"
Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Because you want them to respect yours and not beat you to a bloody, atheist pulp.

[/thread]

But most Christians don't respect our beliefs right off the bat, So why not return the favor?
Because then you're no better than they are.

Wechtlein Uns

I try to give respect for other religions, because I take seriously the religious allegation that there is no scientific reason for adopting science. Although, I usually like to point out that rejecting science allows one to believe whatever they want, so why not science?

Anyway, I've had peple who were really stupid challenge my atheism, and I've had people who were well meaning challenge it. To the former I have been completely disrespectful, and to the latter I have had good conversations and become friends with some of them. I think, however, that respect should be warranted when it is not obvious that they don't deserve respect. I don't think this applies to only religion. I think it applies to all things.

Although, it'd be pretty hard to respect a blade of grass. So maybe there is a range of shades between respect and disrespect?  :pop:
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

BornCrazy

I almost agree with you on this. It seems completely foolish to me but I don't mock theist beliefs of any kind because most of my family are theists. How could I look down on them for a belief that they've had with them since they could talk; it's part of them and I respect them. Oh, and I try to control myself from mocking my friends too much because a jock changes from fun to cruel when you over do it.