News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

why should you respect others beliefs?

Started by quizlixx, November 11, 2008, 05:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: "Sophus"If you demand people to respect your beliefs then of course you should respect theirs. Most theists actually do have good intentions believe it or not.
So... If I don't give a flying duck about their intentions, can I demand that they don't give a flying duck about mine?  :P

If you demand that I respect your beliefs, you AND your beliefs will lose any chance of anything even remotely resembling respect from me for a long, long time.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Asmodean"If you demand that I respect your beliefs, you AND your beliefs will lose any chance of anything even remotely resembling respect from me for a long, long time.

Agreed. Respect is to be earned, not demanded and given freely. That goes for parents, teachers, politicians and especially religious figures.
-Curio

DennisK

Quote from: "Sophus"If you demand people to respect your beliefs then of course you should respect theirs. Most theists actually do have good intentions believe it or not.

I believe most theists have intentions.  I also think they feel they are on the side of 'good'.  From that perspective, yes, most theists have good intentions.
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality." -Halton Arp

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "DennisK"I believe most theists have intentions.  I also think they feel they are on the side of 'good'.

So did Hitler.  :) Good intentions are, at the best of times, worth much less than one, simple action.
-Curio

Kyuuketsuki

I'm also sure that those who pray for others (say in the event of a major disaster) have good intentions but I a somewhat sceptical as to what that achieves apart from making themselves feel good ... I'm not trying to be nasty or anything but it's hard to not be derisive (is that the word?) when I see reports like that on TV.

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

Graham

I think respect creates stubbornness and arrogance. I find it hard to respect anyone or anything not because there's nothing in it for me but I think that if you give someone respect they may lose sight of reality. If they are wrong it will be more difficult for them to demolish their foundation because of so much support through respect. I think respect in the wrong hands is the root of many flaws mixed with pride. Look at religion for example. I know to some respect doesn't mean anything but others let it get to their heads. It's is quite flattering and silly just treat everyone fairly until they prove that they are unworthy of fair treatment. People do make mistakes and it's great when they can admit they are wrong. That way everyone can learn from the experience.

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "Graham"I think respect creates stubbornness and arrogance. I find it hard to respect anyone or anything not because there's nothing in it for me but I think that if you give someone respect they may lose sight of reality. If they are wrong it will be more difficult for them to demolish their foundation because of so much support through respect. I think respect in the wrong hands is the root of many flaws mixed with pride. Look at religion for example. I know to some respect doesn't mean anything but others let it get to their heads. It's is quite flattering and silly just treat everyone fairly until they prove that they are unworthy of fair treatment. People do make mistakes and it's great when they can admit they are wrong. That way everyone can learn from the experience.

You're right that it is the root of why it is difficult to challenge religious views openly ... I've talked to family members about religion in what I consider to be the same kind of tone I'd talk about politics, you don't get disproving looks for saying things about politics, you seriously do for views on religion.

Kyu

Sophus

Quote from: "Asmodean"

If you demand that I respect your beliefs, you AND your beliefs will lose any chance of anything even remotely resembling respect from me for a long, long time.
Everyone asks for respect. I have noticed on here many complaints about how theists do not respect your beliefs. If you expect it of them then why shouldn't they expect it of you? Respect is not bowing down to someone it is simply showing that you ackownledge their rights as a human being. Just earlier I noticed a post in the Philosophy area about a theist taking an atheists child to church without permission and we atheists became outraged, critical and whiney toward this womans disrespect for us. I think you simply mistake respect for surrendering.

Even if you think respect is something to be earned then the only way you can earn it is to give it.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

karadan

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"
Quote from: "DennisK"I believe most theists have intentions.  I also think they feel they are on the side of 'good'.

So did Hitler.  :) Good intentions are, at the best of times, worth much less than one, simple action.

Really? Do you think he actually had good intentions? Or was his mode of thought far too removed for such a simplistic view to be applicable?
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Sophus"Everyone asks for respect. I have noticed on here many complaints about how theists do not respect your beliefs.
Demanding respect and asking not to be disrespected are two completely different things. The fact that I do not disrespect someone does not mean nor imply that I respect them.

Not being disrespectful is common courtecy, being respected is a privilege given for for example ones actions and/or attitude
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "karadan"
Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"

Really? Do you think he actually had good intentions? Or was his mode of thought far too removed for such a simplistic view to be applicable?

I believe Hitler thought he was right, that he was doing the world a favour (especially when it came to "The Jewish Problem") so yes, in his view (and that of many others at the time) he had good intentions.

Kyu

Sophus

Quote from: "Sophus"Everyone asks for respect. I have noticed on here many complaints about how theists do not respect your beliefs.
Demanding respect and asking not to be disrespected are two completely different things. The fact that I do not disrespect someone does not mean nor imply that I respect them.

Not being disrespectful is common courtecy, being respected is a privilege given for for example ones actions and/or attitude
Respect is nothing more than the antonymn of disrespect. If you are not disrespecting someone then you are in fact respecting them.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Asmodean

Quote from: "Sophus"Respect is nothing more than the antonymn of disrespect. If you are not disrespecting someone then you are in fact respecting them.
Actually, it's the opposite. If you respect someone, you do not disrespect them. But you do not respect nor disrespect someone if you are, for instance, indifferent to them. By your logic, if something isn't black, it's white. Personally, I like my greens and reds and shades of gray.

Do I respect bus driver Bob? No. Why would I, I don't even know him. By the same, I do not disrespect bus driver Bob.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Sophus"Respect is nothing more than the antonymn of disrespect. If you are not disrespecting someone then you are in fact respecting them.
Actually, it's the opposite. If you respect someone, you do not disrespect them. But you do not respect nor disrespect someone if you are, for instance, indifferent to them. By your logic, if something isn't black, it's white. Personally, I like my greens and reds and shades of gray.

Do I respect bus driver Bob? No. Why would I, I don't even know him. By the same, I do not disrespect bus driver Bob.

Agreed. It's a continuum of sorts. (This isn't perfect, just an illustration.)

From from middle: level of knowledge about X, where left on the line is level of dislike for X, and right on the line is level of likability.

Disrespect <--> Tolerance <--> Ignorance <--> Disinterest <--> Respect
-Curio

Asmodean

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Agreed. It's a continuum of sorts. (This isn't perfect, just an illustration.)

From from middle: level of knowledge about X, where left on the line is level of dislike for X, and right on the line is level of likability.

Disrespect <--> Tolerance <--> Ignorance <--> Disinterest <--> Respect
Indeed. This is what I was trying to demonstrate with my color reference. We make a good tandem, Cat  :beer:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.